Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Riverside Jogging.

Options
  • 19-08-2005 12:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭

Coming back from UL yesterday by the canal I noticed that they've shored up some of the path for joggers, I wasn't too surprised since Paula Radcliffe and other top runners train there. Then later I was jogging by the Shannon, down O'Callaghan's strand and along past Barrington's pier and on to Clonmacken roundabout and towards Coonagh roundabout.
    The obvious thing would be to develop a long running track from beyond UL to Clonmacken. I'm not discussing putting down a synthetic surface but rather just a uniform surface, with necessary pedestrian crossings or whatever. It could be an amazing facility for the city, were it developed. For example the path from the Shannon bridge to Clonmacken is often only wide enough for one person to pass on. It could be used for everything from serious athletes to dog-walkers.
    Any thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

Yeah thats a great idea, put it in the Big Ideas thing... they have that sorta thing along the whole coast in Chicago and they have little stop points for special excersices, people rollerskate, cycle, jog and run along the paths!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭gaf1983

What do you mean by "shore up"? Do you mean they took away some of the path? I was jogging along the path from UL to town one day a few weeks ago and a big JCB was blocking my way, they were doing something there anyway but is the path gone in sections?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

No I mean they strenghtened the edges so it's wider and more level. Replaced the bits that had dropped of towards the river and placed planks as kerbs to prevent/delay further subsidence. Only up to the Guinness bridge though I think, after that it's still a bit unkempt but grand for training on.
    It is a great facility, but completely underdeveloped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭moshpit77

That path from Shannon Bridge to Clonmacken is widely used by joggers, but I was down there a couple of weeks back and it's gone completely overgrown. It's really a shame but it seems our council can't get off their arses to keep these places even remotely well kept

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭spinalsly

moshpit77 wrote:
    That path from Shannon Bridge to Clonmacken is widely used by joggers, but I was down there a couple of weeks back and it's gone completely overgrown. It's really a shame but it seems our council can't get off their arses to keep these places even remotely well kept

ya i jog that path alot, its pretty handy for me as i live in the clonmacken area, i wish they did up the path and make it wider, because if theres is somebody in your way you have to move around them and it puts me off. and it is very overgrown it feels like the trees are closing in all around me lol!

• Advertisement
Advertisement