Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What would it take for you to move back home?

Options
  • 18-08-2005 6:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

I've been living in Dublin now for a year and a half. I would still be living in Donegal at then moment now if the work was there for me, I just wanna see if everyone else is in the same scenario or are there other reasons.

Reasons for leaving home 7 votes

Work
    0% 0 votes
    Significant Other(GF/BF)
    28% 2 votes
    Bored with Home
    14% 1 vote
    Other
    57% 4 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

I got bored with it.

It's still home.. but who wants to live at home all their lives? Unless I find somewhere else to settle in the meantime (not outside the realms of possibility) I'll probably return in a few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

I left because I became claustrophobic at the age of 15. Then after 35 years, I came home too die and be buried in the family plot.

I did not want to be buried on foreign soil, now I have been home some 18 years and I am still alive, hmmm this is causing me some grief :p

P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Sin scéal eile

Well I left cos I guess I wanted to get out and see different things, learn a new language etc... so I guess you could say I left cos I was bored.

I'm very glad I left Sligo, I do miss it and want to move back home asap, but when I go back and see my friends that never once left our little village (except maybe a day trip to Dublin at the most) I feel sorry for them in a way, I suppose I shouldn't because they're happy and it was their choice not to leave, but I've experienced different ways of life, different cultures and I this had made me who I am today. I've had good and bad experiences but I think it was important to have made them.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 maeve49

I left almost 11 years ago to go to college in Dublin and at this stage I can't really see myself going back, I think the main thing I found was this small minded attitude, begruding people for doing well or for trying to get ahead, I still go home every six or eight weeks and the sad thing is that there is nobody my age living at home anymore everybodys parents are there and I guess a lot of people my age have the same attitude as me, but its such a rural place as well there are absolutely no job opportunities and you also get used to having all the services close by in Dublin, if I moved home the nearest cinema is 60 miles. I just don't think I could cope with that level of isolation now! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

I got claustropobic in Donegal, its nice but it really is too small, and I really needed a change, and to leave home.

I don't think I'll be going back to settle anytime soon, maybe some day when I'm satisfied with a slower pace of life...

• Advertisement
Advertisement