Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IRL - Walt

Options
  • 18-08-2005 9:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭

Bear in mind that I'm following the Irish episodes, so no spoilers if you can help it!

I was watching the Lost episode on channel 4 last night, the one with Kate's backstory and where the marshall dies.

I noticed something that I didn't pay much attention to the first time round, Walt is talking to Michael about how he won't go looking for Vincent (his dog). Michael says that he'll go looking as soon as the rain stops as it was lashing out.
    Walt then stares for a second or two out at the rain from their shelter and magically the rain stops!!!!

I'm reckoning this has something to do with what was alluded to in last week's Irish episode "Special", that Walt has special powers!
    Anyone agree?

I'm looking forward to what develops with Walt in the coming weeks :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭soma

hey good point, hadnt thought of that before but that certainly lends credence to the theory that walt is having an impact on the surroundings/events. :)

PS You should probably prepend "IRL" to the title of this thread to avoid confusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Glad to see you're all getting in the 'Lost' spirit by analysing past episodes..

.. yes, this has been discussed before and i think most of us agree this incident with the rain stopping was an early manifestation of Walt's "special powers"

Believe me.. after watching the series in it's entirety, you will realise how early the writers had dropping hints into earlier episodes regarding future incidents and storylines.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,069 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

So is Walt the rain stopping God and Locke the rain starting God then?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

I have a feeling that rain will have a big part to play in LOST going forward.

Hyzepher

• Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

robinph wrote:
    So is Walt the rain stopping God and Locke the rain starting God then?
    Locke seems to have some pre-cognition, and faith in the island itself rather than powers himself. Locke believes in the power of the island to do things for him... heal his paralysis, start raining, give Boone his experience...
    Boone: What's that?
    Locke: Its for later.

In fact, on several occassions, Locke talks about "feeling" things. Its almost as if he can't quite put his finger on it, but something he feels tells him when important things are going to happen. When he says its going to start raining, Boone questions how he knows, and he replies "Can't you feel it?", and then again when they're standing on top of the hatch for the first time (but don't know its there), Boone is about to turn back, and Locke once again says "Can't you feel it?", just before Boone opportunely fumbles the torch.

Walt on the other hand definitely does seem to influence the events on the island (although I dispute the idea that he creates anything that isn't already there). The polar bears, the rain... there's a lot of evidence there. What I can't figure out is the role of Vincent. In the pilot episode, there are some weird shots of him sitting around in the jungle. Then, on occassion, he randomly runs off. There's definitely something odd about him too.

Edit: Now that I think about it, the only people Vincent seems to respond to are Walt and Locke - everyone else he ignores. Is this because they're both different somehow... in touch with the island?

Modedit: sorry mr_angry. it's been discussed before and future episode spoilers are far too tempting to keep in IRL threads, Steve

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭beanyb

argh, you're not supposed to put spoilers in the Irish threads. I know it's covered and everything but the fact that it's there makes it so tempting to look at!

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭soma

Well I didnt look at the spolier for the following reason, when someone posts spoiler in these threads there's often confusion about is it a spoiler for this episode (in which case it shouldnt be in spoiler tags - i.e. u are only supposed to read this thread if you've seen the ep) or is it a spoiler for the series :mad: If it is, they should be kept out of all 'IRL' threads.

I dont know which type the above spoiler is.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Don't read the spoiler if you are watching the episodes on RTÉ.

It's from something that happens in one of the last episodes of the season.

So keep clear....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

I think were all in agreement, that there is something special about everyone on the island and in my opinion it will become more apparent in the future seasons

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I'd love to see a Vincent flashback episode.

It could be very interesting... can you imagine the things he could have overheard?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

I'd love to see a Vincent flashback episode.

It could be very interesting... can you imagine the things he could have overheard?
    hhhmmm, interesting. An hour of flash backs to him sniffing another dog's ass and licking his own balls.

It would be ground breaking alright... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

maight be worth a mini-series of it's own!

coming soon from the makers of lost: 'fetch'. :p
    [align=right]13.16.137.11[/align]

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Fridge

Why did Walt make the bird fly into the window though? He seemed to want attention from his mother, and after it happened, his mother didn't seem to be in the picture. It was just his Walt and his step-Dad for the rest of the scene.
    So I'm not sure if he got what he wanted.

Or does he not realise that he has some kind of power?

I have to admit, when the rain stopped before, I just thought it was meant to be funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

Tru he did want his mothers attention but he was saying something about that particular bird... and he didn't seem to care all that much about once it hit the window... most boys would be out lookin at the bird and would prolly want to bury it in the garden or something

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Fridge

Oh yeah I forgot he was talking about the bird at the time as well.
    Still wondering if he knows or not.
    He was pretty vulnerable when the bear was attacking him. I'd say if he knew the extent of his powers he would have used them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

Ok, so walt has powers that seems clear. Buuut... he had the powers before he "crashed" on the island.

Anyway - how does locke almost immeadiately know that walt has the powers. I think in the first or second ep when Walt was talking to Michael he says says that Locke said "A miracle happened him" or something like that... How does locke know straight away about Walt?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭Matthewthebig

And what is the secret Locke told Walt when they played backgammon the first time?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

locke told walt that "a miracle had happened" and that was it. it could be interpreted as Locke can now walk or that they survived the crash, who knows? but how the hell does Locke know Walts name?

i reckon it might be like the shining the way o'halloren and danny knew about each other.

Advertisement