Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can anyone identify these birds?

Options
  • 17-08-2005 7:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭

I was down in Bray harbour this afternoon photographing the swans, and there were these geese there too. I didn't immediately recognise them as being any of the usual wild geese like Canada or Barnacle, but assumed I could find them in my book of birds when I got home. But no sign of anything like them at all. There was a pure white one there too.

So, any twitchers amongst you who know what they are?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Gazza22

In Bray harbour you say!?

Hum very weird, i am almost certain these are called snow geese

Snow geese nest in the arctic region, along the northern tips of Canada, Alaska and Greenland

Well you got a good photo...check out here for more information

Snow Geese

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Yes, they were down near the water's edge, a group of 4 or 5 like those in the photo and a pure white one. Someone I spoke to down there said she'd seen a single one last year, and this year it seems to have brought some friends along.

I'm not sure whether they're snow geese though. All the pictures I've seen of them show them having relatively long necks. These are quite short and stocky and have quite short necks ... I'm sure they'd make good eating :)

Here's a close up of the mystery creature's head and neck ...

I've consulted with a friend of mine who's into birds, and he's sure they're hybrids of some sort. Apparently both ducks and geese interbreed freely, so it's not uncommon to find all kinds of weird hybrids. These are probably at least partly domestic in origin, apparently because of the orange feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Very interesting.
    Great pics btw really cute geese/ducks/gucks? lol

Yeah, I'd just been into Dublin on the Dart to buy a new lens for my camera, and was eager to try it out :)

They're strange looking creatures alright, especially the beaks ... not goose like at all, more like a Dodo or some kind of seabird.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Looks like a domestic white goose crossed with a wild Canadian goose to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

Bond-007 wrote:
    Looks like a domestic white goose crossed with a wild Canadian goose to me.

I would agree with Bond 007 because they are pied. Pied generally doesn't occur in nature because it offers less camoflauge. There are pied blackbirds and deer but they generally don't live very long.

As far as I know, anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

I agree. They appear to be hybrids. Very good photo!!

Advertisement