Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Episode 1x01 "Serenity" *Spoilers*

• 17-08-2005 4:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭

So lets have it people. What did you think of the very first episode of Firefly? By first I mean the pilot not "Train job" which is how fox (the enemy of good Sci-fi) Aired it

So what did you think of the pilot "Serenity" 27 votes

I found Serenity
    0% 0 votes
    Oh it was Shiny
    74% 20 votes
    It was ok but I dont see what all ye are on about
    25% 7 votes
    I'll stick to something else, the money wasn't good enough
    0% 0 votes
    Revers! Gore damn Revers!
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

I think that the scene where
    Mal tells simon that Kaylie's dead
    was probably the scene that got me hooked on the show from the very start - utter, UTTER genius :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

Aye I've never seen such a look of pure fear and shock on someones face in a TV episode before. That bit always gives me a laugh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭Daelus

Brilliant opener. That moment was pure genius, too. Didn't think any show had the guts to do something like that.

I have to say, What got me hooked was Wash in the opening.
    Where he is playing with the toys
    I couldn't stop laughing. I had to watch more! Then I see Jaynes bit about money
    "not'en of not'en is let me see here, not'en" then he keeps going on in the backround.
    Pure classic
    Time and time again it keep having these moments where your sitting there going. Can they do that?

A fantastic pilot. One of the best infact. I'm gonna say it, Not even Farscape's pilot was as good as Fireflys (and I love Farscape)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

I think it's that moment that hooks people, up untill then i wasn't to impressed with firefly, but after that little stunt i really started to enjoy it.

That moment alone is worth a thousand epic space battles..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

sutty wrote:
    Not even Farscape's pilot was as good as Fireflys (and I love Farscape)

In fairness though, Farscape started off fairly naff and it took a while for it to get into the full-blown awesomeness and storylines that made it such a good show in the first place. Firefly was possibly one of the very lucky shows that actually started off well. Even the mighty Babylon 5 started off pretty weak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,034 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Aye, Babylon 5 actually started off a LOT weaker than Farscape I thought. And the main problem with Farscape's pilot was it was too short. As an episode in itself, it was pretty good I thought.

As for "Serenity: Pilot", I thought it was one of the best episodes of Firefly's short season. The few that followed were pretty naff I thought (started picking up again around episode 6).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

i waskind of iffy about it until i watched it a second time, after watching The train job and the 'chain of command' line i had to go back and watch it again. Some things i liked were mal's totalitarian attitude towards the ship, you do it his way or get the hell off. Breath of fresh air from the limping moany attitudes of trek.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭Daelus

Another great moment in the pilot, I thought, was when
    Dobson is holding River hostage and Mal just walks in and, without breaking his stride, shoots him in the face. That really cemented it for me, that this show was something special. I loved Mal's "My way or the highway." attitude. None of this "let's make a deal." crap. More; "let's do it this way. Or, y'know, I could shoot you."
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

"We shall call it... This Land!"

The thing that really hooked me in the pilot was in the second scene
    they were in space and the physics was right. No sound, No constant thrust = constant velocity, and the cruisers weren't aerodynamically sound....because they didn't need to be!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 144 ✭✭Sidane

What Daelus said, that moment was just brilliant.

It's the humour that I love most about Firefly, no non-comedy show has made me genuinely laugh out loud so often.

The pilot is definitely one of the stronger episodes.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Pish. I was expecting something exciting after teh recommendations it got, but it was rubbish. (IMO)

Pish. I was expecting something exciting after teh recommendations it got, but it was rubbish. (IMO)

Well in your opinion, why was it crap? Rather than just saying it. Give some reasons. The show may not be to everyones liking, to base a show on everyone elses opinions and then to be let down by it is that you where expecting more from it. Have you tried to watch any more episodes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 208 ✭✭Fence

crash_000 wrote:
    Mal tells simon that Kaylie's dead
    was probably the scene that got me hooked on the show from the very start - utter, UTTER genius :)

Just a question. Do we need to use spoiler tags? Surely the fact that spoilers are mentioned in the thread title means we can freely discuss the episode?

Fence wrote:
    Just a question. Do we need to use spoiler tags? Surely the fact that spoilers are mentioned in the thread title means we can freely discuss the episode?
    I'd rather people did. Some of the moments people metion are major moments in the episode. There is more of an impact when you dont know about them. Even though the title says spoiler. Some people may still go into the tread. So its better to be safe rather than rune it for someone with an interest in the show.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

sutty wrote:
    Well in your opinion, why was it crap? Rather than just saying it. Give some reasons. The show may not be to everyones liking, to base a show on everyone elses opinions and then to be let down by it is that you where expecting more from it. Have you tried to watch any more episodes?

I'm going to watch the pilot again and the second episode. You're absolutely right in that I only watched it and was hoping for something that would catch me was that people who have similar interests to me recommended it. I've never really liked science fiction series, always found they did far too little with the possibilities of the genre and were rather samey.
    I don't know that there was anythign really bad about it, just that it didn't do anything new in the short time I watched it. Red Dwarf with a steel guitar was what sprung to mind.
    Anyway, I'm open to giving it another go, as I'd at least like to know what I'm missing, if anything :) And if I just plain don't like it, no worries.

I'm going to watch the pilot again and the second episode. You're absolutely right in that I only watched it and was hoping for something that would catch me was that people who have similar interests to me recommended it. I've never really liked science fiction series, always found they did far too little with the possibilities of the genre and were rather samey.
    I don't know that there was anythign really bad about it, just that it didn't do anything new in the short time I watched it. Red Dwarf with a steel guitar was what sprung to mind.
    Anyway, I'm open to giving it another go, as I'd at least like to know what I'm missing, if anything :) And if I just plain don't like it, no worries.

hehe no problem, I hope you enjoy it this time about. If you can, bring your-self to watch the 14 eps and look at it as a whole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

I'd actually move on from the opener. The Train Job is a little easier to get into and the series really does get better as it goes along.

Advertisement