Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What happened nintendo

Options
  • 17-08-2005 2:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭

Nintendo used to be the best console around until the gamecube came out. The n64 kicked assd and even the magazine was inpressive. Now all you have now is stupid baby games and nothing appealing. Games like res evil and eternal darkness are good but there are no games that really make you want to buy like with the n64. Who agrees with me

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

MB44 wrote:
    Who agrees with me

Sony and Microsoft.

Maybe your parents too. But I doubt they're that stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭djmarkus

I think nintendo's best console was the gameboy, it still is big but not as big as it used to be. depends how sucessful the psp will be, tho i have the GBA, havn't used it in ages, might sell it, the n64 was good too but i never had one of them, had a NES aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭stakey

Nintendo's best console was the GB. The SNES a close second, though in my opinion the megadrive was the better of those two consoles, much better games on the MD.

Nintendo are in a bit of a rut though as i see it. Unlike Sega Nintendo don't really have a huge back list of excellent games or innovative in house developers. Again just an opinion but i dont see how ninty could even go the road that Sega had to take.

well, sega dont seem to be doing much either, what was their last console the DC?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

sega are out of the console business.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Citizen_Erased

Nothing happened to nintendo at all really beccause for a start they are the most profiable of all consoles. And what do mean all babyish and toy like , are you some sort of fan boy? An equall number of "childish " and "rounded" games are available on any other console. Does the Gamecube not have Resi and many other similar titles. I think that you are stereotyping nintendo just because their flagship series is as suggested

Edit - I still play my megadrive every day when I have Bf2 and other hugely advanced PC games are available to me instead. So sega my not be trading but they still exist.

i agree i play a megadrive emulator with roms(that i legally own). what are sega at now adays then?

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭MB44

well i just feel that there not making enough games to appeal to the older market. they lost thq and rareware which in my opinion finished them off. Dont get angry its only a topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭MB44

well i just feel that there not making enough games to appeal to the older market. they lost thq and rareware which in my opinion finished them off. Dont get angry its only a topic. ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,979 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

djmarkus wrote:
    i agree i play a megadrive emulator with roms(that i legally own). what are sega at now adays then?

Sega are a now a multiformat publisher. They still make arcade games, in fact their new arcade harware was unveiled a while ago.

As for what happened to Nintendo? Well not much really. The Gamecube is by far my favourite machine of the current generation. Sure I play my PS2 more but the Gamecube has far more classic titles.It may look like they have lost the console race but not in Nintendos eyes. They had the only console that was making a profit until recently when the PS2 started turning in a profit. MS still lose money hand over foot.

As for the stupid baby games well only a stupid baby would make those comments. So what if the games have a cartoony look to them. I'd rather play Mario Sunshine, Zelda: Wind Waker and Pikmin than so called adult games like GTa or Max Payne. In case you didn't notice the N64 is also full of games with a cute graphics style.

I definitely think the GC is as good a console as the rest if not better. It should definitely the first choice for a second console. No gamer should go on in life without playing Metroid Prime and Resi 4.

Now for my views on the eternal debate Megadrive vs. Snes. Thought the Snes was better but the megadrive was definitely great machine. Had a megadrive myself but not a snes :( The answer is in the games. In terms of RPGs the megadrive had a few classics but the Snes definitely had more and better RPGs. Shmups the megadrive had much more but very few were stand outs. The Snes had Axelay. And it that wasn't enough the rest of it's shoot'em ups were fantastic. Platform games well the Mario games were always better than the sonic games. Actiuon games the megadrive wins since Treasure made some great games for the megadrive including the stunning Gunstar Heroes (sequel coming to GBA, hurrah!). The Snes had some good game sin this category like Contra 3 and Cybernator. Beat'em ups, the SNES had a slighty better versions of SF2 (but no Super SF2) and a far superior version of MK2. Sports games were about equal. The MD had some great early MD sports games but the SNES had ISS which did eventually find it's way to the MD.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,979 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

MB44 wrote:
    well i just feel that there not making enough games to appeal to the older market. they lost thq and rareware which in my opinion finished them off. Dont get angry its only a topic. ;)

They may have but THQ haven't made that many great games lately and it isn't a big loss losing the wrestling games. Rare haven't made a decent game since they left for Microsoft and the best of their staff went to Retro Studies and Free Radical.

They may not have any games that have a grown up theme but it really shouldn't put anybody off playing any of nintendos more 'colourful' games. Just because it doesn't have a 50 cent soundtrack and a burly male lead character beating down some ho's that it isn't good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Citizen_Erased

Hell , the camp characters can even add a new level to the gameplay. I have always hated every attempt at a tennis game ever. That was until I played a 7 hour marathon of Super monkey ball 2 tennis at my friends house. And that was without being high or nder the influence of alcohol. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Unlike Sega Nintendo don't really have a huge back list of excellent games or innovative in house developers

Yeah, only that Miyamoto guy, and what's he ever done?

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Unlike Sega Nintendo don't really have a huge back list of excellent games or innovative in house developers
    erm, WTF?
    Whatever happened to Intelligent Systems, EAD Tokyo, NST...
    And possibly the greatest back catalogue ever?
    *rolls eyes*

What happened to Nintendo? Reputation. People have it entrenched in their minds that GameCube is for kids. (we all know that's rubbish...mmm RE4...) Because of that, consumers choose the "cool" or "mature" console... and ignore Nintendo and it's fabulous games, just because they aren't Grand Theft Auto or Need For Speed Underground...

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭stakey

Yes, Shigeru is a legend to some but I only enjoyed two games with his tag on and they would be Donkey Kong and F-Zero. I presume I'll get alot of "What about Mario, Zelda, Star Fox?". I'm not a fan... thats as far as i'll go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

Yes, Shigeru is a legend to some but I only enjoyed two games with his tag on and they would be Donkey Kong and F-Zero. I presume I'll get alot of "What about Mario, Zelda, Star Fox?". I'm not a fan... thats as far as i'll go.

I have to agree. With the exception of (2D) Mario. I still love the Gamecube though. Thanks in large part to Sega(specifically AV) games I have for it funnily enough. I have played and disliked the Zelda and Metroid games. I also haven't gotten round to Resi 4 yet. But even without those I find tons of life in the Gamecube. Even, as crazy as it sounds, people who are looking for EA Sports games, I'd recommend the cube because they tend to drop in price fast. And it's got the best load times and slots for four very well designed controllers. Although some games designed for PS2 and ported directly over end up feeling not quite right.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

From what I know Nintendo were at their strongest when the SNES was out but when they rejected advice from sony (who as far as I know was a hardware supply partner with nintendo at the time) to switch over to CD rather than stick with cartridge that was when they began their long decline. Their faliure to change was what caused sony to walk out on them and develop the playstation, imagine if they had accepted their advice nintendo would still be no1 and playstation would never have existed! :eek:

Infini wrote:
    From what I know Nintendo were at their strongest when the SNES was out but when they rejected advice from sony (who as far as I know was a hardware supply partner with nintendo at the time) to switch over to CD rather than stick with cartridge that was when they began their long decline. Their faliure to change was what caused sony to walk out on them and develop the playstation, imagine if they had accepted their advice nintendo would still be no1 and playstation would never have existed! :eek:

Totally wrong. Sony did provide the sound chips for the SNES. They also were developing a CD add-on for the SNES. However at a trade show. Nintendo snubbed Sony by announcing that they will be making a CD add-on with partner Philips who would do it cheaper. This lead to the fall out between Sony and Nintendo since this was the first Sony had heard of this news. Sony went on to develope the SNES CD add-on into the Playstation.

The reasons that the PS did better than the N64 are:
    1. Over two years headstart on Nintendo during which Sony destroyed their only rival Sega and were the only next gen machine worth considering. Continuing delays for Nintendo didn't help
    2. The PS had fantastic marketing that was backed up by some great games, excellent Namco arcade conversions and games that tapped into the older age groups such as Wipeout.
    3. Nintendo lost the biggest game of the time ever because the cartridge system was too restrictive for it. That game was Final Fantasy VII which had the japanese queuing at the Sony centres for a copy on release. They lost a few RPG developers and other 3rd parties due to the cartridge format.

These are just the main ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

I see. Knew that my info may have been off but wasnt sure. Thnaks for the info retro. :)

Advertisement