Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

problem with water pump

Options
  • 17-08-2005 12:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I have my own private water supply but when I flush the loo for example the pump keeps switching on/off on/off
    What might be the cause
    Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Hi,
    I assume that this pump is not your direct supply, i.e that it pumps water into a tank and that when you flush the tank empties a bit and the pump is turning on and off as it tries to refill the tank.
    If so it may the your pressure switch acting up, its prob a differential switch that is knackered or just needs adjsutment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Jackz

Yea prob your pressure switch, unscrewing it and cleaning the fitting and the small hole where the water enter the switch in the bottom of the switch may solve this but your probably better off just geting a new one as they are not expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭flocker

Could be no air in the pressure vessel.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 201 ✭✭Rodney Trotter

freedom wrote:
    I have my own private water supply but when I flush the loo for example the pump keeps switching on/off on/off
    What might be the cause
    Thanks

Your pressure switch is working perfectly, that's the switching on and off.

On your supply you have an "Accumulator", it's basically a metal cylinder with a pressurised baloon inside it. It has become deflated. (It's the pressure vessel as described elsewhere)

You need to find the air nozzel on the accumulator, it's like the valve on a car tyre.

Switch off the pump and open the kitchen tap, to get any pressure out of the system, from the water side.

You need to pressurise the accumulator to approx 19 psi, approx 1.4 bar. You pressurise by pumping it with an air pump. It's hard work but it's necessary. If you have an electric pump, it's easier, but it's sometimes difficult to get access.

With a pressurised accumulator the pump will stay on longer and switch off when it reaches the 19psi.

You should be able to do it yourself, it will cost you the guts of €100 if you call out a plumber.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 freedom

Rodney,Stoner,Jackz,Flocker - thank you all very much for your valuable help, unfortunately it will have to be the feared plumber as I cannot do it mysel or I wouldn't even begin to know how.
    What I would like to know is it safe to go on using it in it's present state as I cannot afford to get in the plumber just for now and as I have a wood burning range thats heats my water - is it ok to carry on with this?
    And on a different topic as I have a private water supply I worry that the water may be contaminated as I am surrounded by farmland where artificial chemicals are applied regularly. Is there somewhere I can get my water tested
    Thanks again

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19 madonnar

Freedom
    I know a reliable plumber if u want - which area do u live in?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 201 ✭✭Rodney Trotter

freedom wrote:
    Rodney,Stoner,Jackz,Flocker - thank you all very much for your valuable help, unfortunately it will have to be the feared plumber as I cannot do it mysel or I wouldn't even begin to know how.
    What I would like to know is it safe to go on using it in it's present state as I cannot afford to get in the plumber just for now and as I have a wood burning range thats heats my water - is it ok to carry on with this?
    And on a different topic as I have a private water supply I worry that the water may be contaminated as I am surrounded by farmland where artificial chemicals are applied regularly. Is there somewhere I can get my water tested
    Thanks again

You are putting extra work on the water pump and could shorten it's life, a water pump is not designed for such rapid switching. To pump up the system is a 10 minute job, nothing more. Don't get codded into replacing any partsw unnecessarily.

For water testing you should look under LABORATORIES in the Golden Pages. You need a comprehensive test for Bacteria, Fecal matter and chemical analysis. Should cost in the region of €100, max. You might have to get a "fixer" kit from the lab to collect your sample. (This fixes the chemical compositionin the water as soon as you collect it because sometimes some chemicals can evapourate between you collecting them and you getting to the lab.)

If you have contaminated water you will need a filtration system (with UV bacteria eliminator, if required) which would cost upwards of €3000, with salt tablets required, if in a hard water area, which cost approx €4 per week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi Rodney Trotter,

Great reply and advice, is there a grant system still in place for treatment systems for private wells ?

Hi freedom,

I think if you ask the plumber is it Ok to settle up in three / four weeks there should be no problem, just ask when you call them not when they have travelled to your home or worse completed the job.

As surprising as it may appear tradesmen are consumers too and realise that money isn't always available for the little emergency jobs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 471 ✭✭Debracd

We're on a group well scheme and our water is awful. Had a guy out to test the water last week, cost me €55 for onsite testing, 4 main tests....got proper test results too(NOT Good!) They do the FULL suite of testing for €138 that tests for all organisms etc in the lab.

There are grants available for individual wells.. just get onto your local council about it!

Advertisement