Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Diceman

Options
  • 17-08-2005 10:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭

Does anyone remember the dice man? His name popped into my head last nite and I think thats his name, and he was famous in Dublin. Its wrecking my head. Who was he?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

He was a performance artist on Grafton Street. He'd dress up in some pretty amazing costumes and do alot of mime type acts.

He died of AIDS a good while back though, if I remember correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,004 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Thom was from Scotland. He started off as a 'moving statue'-type advertisement for a shop called The Diceman off Grafton St. Brilliant at staying perfectly still, then suddenly winking ;) at the startled onlookers! He branched out under that name, and became very successful doing corporate promotions, wearing all kinds of amazing outfits. There is a corner of Meeting House Square in Temple Bar named after him.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

His name was Thom McGinty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭LadyJ

His name was Robert Paulson......

Ah the diceman rocked! My mom used to take me to see him when I was small.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

Grafton Street is great for street theatre. Whatever about Temple Bar, Grafton Street is the most cultural street in Dublin. There are some very unusual people there. Has anyone ever seen the oriental women that dances with fans, usually late at night, there? She has to be one of the most unusual.

http://homepage.eircom.net/~flukey/Pictures/Oriental.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Social77

Ah jesus i'm devastated,i thought this was a thread devoted to the cult classiv novel written by Luke Rheinhardt.Instaed its devoted to some loser mimer who use to annoy the pants of me many moons ago when Ireland was inoccent and thought that glenroe was cutting edge
    Lukes sick of life and wants to jazz it up a little.From this day forward, he becomes the "Dice Man". The rules are simple - all decisions are to be based on dice rolls, the options are controlled by him. The catch? There always has to be a slightly uncomfortable option. This little game takes Luke down dangerous paths, into a new and risky world that soon leads to his own personal freedom from daily constraints. But his own personal freedoms, as dictated by the dice, slowly start to impact people around him: his family, his neighbours, his patients and colleagues. Life becomes unpredictable.
    I wasnt going to reply to this thread but the dice told me i had to.I'm also guessing that the diceman you talk about only followed his career path after an unlucky throw of his dice

Social77 wrote:
    Ah jesus i'm devastated,i thought this was a thread devoted to the cult classiv novel written by Luke Rheinhardt.Instaed its devoted to some loser mimer who use to annoy the pants of me many moons ago when Ireland was inoccent and thought that glenroe was cutting edge
    Lukes sick of life and wants to jazz it up a little.From this day forward, he becomes the "Dice Man". The rules are simple - all decisions are to be based on dice rolls, the options are controlled by him. The catch? There always has to be a slightly uncomfortable option. This little game takes Luke down dangerous paths, into a new and risky world that soon leads to his own personal freedom from daily constraints. But his own personal freedoms, as dictated by the dice, slowly start to impact people around him: his family, his neighbours, his patients and colleagues. Life becomes unpredictable.
    I wasnt going to reply to this thread but the dice told me i had to.I'm also guessing that the diceman you talk about only followed his career path after an unlucky throw of his dice
    Yes we know the book but maybe you could start a thread in the Literature forum...Might get some discussion going there.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭maggz

Social77 wrote:
    Ah jesus i'm devastated,i thought this was a thread devoted to the cult classiv novel written by Luke Rheinhardt.

Thats actually why I thought of the dice man, I was talking about that book last night and then started thinking about the grafton street dice man.

I heard about that book a couple of weeks ago for the first time, and I cant stop thinking about it. It sounds so crazy, I must get my hands on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭stevoslice

i thought the thread was going to bea about yer man who travelled the world on the roll of a dice...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Social77

LadyJ wrote:
    Yes we know the book but maybe you could start a thread in the Literature forum...Might get some discussion going there.
    Nah i dont feel like it,tried chatting in humanities yesterday and it took about an hour to get a reply.Started getting paranoid that evrybody hated me and ended up drinking mtyself to near oblivion and waking up with a large ladies skirt on me.Won't be doing that again
    Anyway as a mark of respect to you and other Diceman lovers heres a poem by Liam o Meara

still forever

do they not sweep the streets before you
    I used to chuckle to myself
    for often it seemed you walked in fear
    of treading on broken glass

and gratefully I shared the wonder
    of standing pedestrians
    witnessing your snail’s procession
    through the main streets of Dublin

you were the Cheeky Prisoner,
    rude Mona Lisa,
    an awkward teapot on a crowded Dart
    Dracula, scourge of Moore Street traders
    or simply the Blonde Vamp

best of all, was when you just stood still
    leaving us hanging for your pursed lips
    wrinkled forehead, arched brows
    any sudden movement

but it wasn’t all fun
    you worried us once in bloodied robes
    your clown face weeping
    for a suffering world

then your gaunt appearance
    on the Late Late Show - apology to Mum;
    your farewell wave in the Evening Herald;
    the final procession to your resting place

McGinty, McGinty, your number’s up -
    you winked, oh! you winked at death
    rather you had blinked

• Advertisement

Nice. Think I've read that before.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

thebhoy wrote:
    i thought the thread was going to bea about yer man who travelled the world on the roll of a dice...
    That what i thought too, it was on The Discovery channel a few years back. It was entertaining, very watchable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭atkin

I shared a flat with him and remember when he first started .Aiden Murphy is still connected with diceman promotions.
    Oh well I would love to get hold of some earlier photos of him.He was real sexy then (he he)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

Mother of Zombie threads :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

8 years in the ground and you had to wake it up. ZOMBIE!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Don't do that again.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement