Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Desert(ed) Islands

Options
  • 16-08-2005 4:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    Where would be an ideal (lovely weather, lovely beaches, fruit tree growth etc) place that would have a few deserted Islands where I could get a local fisherman to bring me out to, tear a high value note in half and ask him to come back in two months for the other half and to bring me home?

I know a guy who did this, I think it was somewhere near Thailand. It sounds great and is something I would consider doing myself. Scary but would be a great experience!

If anyone has any idea, please share:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

If you want to do something adventurous, why don't you book a Ray Mear's survival holiday?

I think it's probably a bad idea if you've no survival experience to go somewhere deserted, unless you want your fisherman to be returning for your bleached bones...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

I'd recommend Mozambique...I had a hell of a time there, go during our winter though nice and warm then.
    I also did a Ray Mears survival course and I'd recommend that too!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I think it's probably a bad idea if you've no survival experience to go somewhere deserted, unless you want your fisherman to be returning for your bleached bones...

Aha, that's the idea though;) I'll just have to learn the hard way. I know a few things anyway, don't worry, I've sean Lord of The Flies, Dance and Rings so I'm well sorted:D

cormie wrote:
    Aha, that's the idea though;) I'll just have to learn the hard way. I know a few things anyway, don't worry, I've sean Lord of The Flies, Dance and Rings so I'm well sorted:D
    LMAO!!! Best of luck m8, I wish I had the time/balls/money for that kind of thing. Wait a minute I do!

Actually, now that I think about it, I think Ray Mears' missus isn't too well at the moment. She usually deals with the administration around the survival trips and I know that Borneo in 2006 is either cancelled or looking unlikely...

Anyway - survival holliers, they're your only man.

As for learning the hard way - sit in your back garden and try to start a fire by bow drilling. At least when you're tired, wet, hungry, with blisters on your palms and not a whisper of smoke in sight, you can just go indoors and go to bed... :)

• Advertisement

Oh God do I remember that bloody bow drill!

I've been lightin' fires since I was about 5 years old, although I did have matches, coal and of course, zip firelighters;) I'll enjoy the challenge. I haven't got a clue what bow drilling is, am I screwed?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

lol, yes!

and it sounded like so much fun, right up until madge mentioned the bow drilling...

ah sure.. I'll bring a magnifying glass and do it that way, don't mind your bow drilling, pff.

So would anyone else risk this? It could actually be a matter of life or death that's the fun thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,351 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Such islands tend to be deserted for a reason - lack of fresh water, tropical storms, AK-47 wielding drug lords ....

• Advertisement

Victor wrote:
    Such islands tend to be deserted for a reason - lack of fresh water, tropical storms, AK-47 wielding drug lords ....
    cormie wrote:
    It could actually be a matter of life or death that's the fun thing.

:D Sure the Irish are loved wherever we go, I'm sure I'd get on fine with the drug lords :cool:

Here's an informative woodcrafty type bow drilling site. If you can do this, then you may have a higher chance of surviving.

http://www.trackertrail.com/survival/fire/bowdrill/pmoc/basicbowdrill.html

Advertisement