Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Xbox modding - n00b

• 16-08-2005 2:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭

Hey all.

I have an Xbox and I would like to mod it.
    i.e. Install a solderless modchip.
    Install Xbox Media Centre
    Install 120gb + hard drive (does make/model matter?)

I would also like to FTP from my PC.

Is it difficult to do the above? What tools will I need? Is there anything that could go wrong rendering my Xbox useless?

I will get a modchip from www.mrmodchips.com.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

This is your one and only stop for XBOX modding info. go to the forums and browse through the FAQ section. indispensible.
    Is it difficult to do the above?

no
    What tools will I need?

a cd/dvd burner. torx screwdriver.
    Is there anything that could go wrong rendering my Xbox useless?

no, not unless you spill beer on the motherboard when you have it open.
    Install 120gb + hard drive (does make/model matter?)

model doesn't matter but it must be IDE. though i heard somewhere recently that SATA might be possible.

the only trouble you might have is sourcing the software. Since its made with the Microsift toolkit very little is actually legal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭LizardKing

If you want to put in a new hard drive , do you need to format it before hand or can it work on Fat32 / NTFS formats ... I have a disk i'd like to put into my (chipped) xbox but its got some stuff on it i'd like to keep ...

Here's the FAQ I mentioned. FAQ Read through all of that first. It'll give you a general idea of what you need to do and the console can do when modded.

Generally the steps involved to modding are:

1. Install the chip
    2. Burn the BIOS to a CDRW (or CDR if the drive will read it).
    3. Flash the chip with the BIOS.
    4. Install the Dashboard. This is the software that runs every time you boot the console.
    5. Install software.
    6. Transfer using crossover cable.

There are handy self installers that will do steps 4 and 5 for you.

LizardKing wrote:
    If you want to put in a new hard drive , do you need to format it before hand or can it work on Fat32 / NTFS formats ... I have a disk i'd like to put into my (chipped) xbox but its got some stuff on it i'd like to keep ...

AFAIK you need to 'prepare' the disk for use in the XBOX. It needs to allocate specific partitions to resemble the original stock drive. ie C:\ E:\ F:\.

I don't think it would be possible to keep the data.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭niall mc

you'll need to format the hard disk because the xbox uses fatX.

also, you'd really want to be able to lock your hard disk if you want to access the original xbox dash (for dvds, live, etc.). not essential, but if you want to use it...

you can check the compatability list here: http://xboxdrives.x-pec.com/

• Advertisement
Advertisement