Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat's Whiskers Cut

Options
  • 16-08-2005 1:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭

Basically, my cat has fallen victim to what I can only guess is an attempt at maliciousness towards my family. A couple of neighbouring kids have recently taken to terrorising the other local kids and vandalising neighbourhood property, with particular emphasis on my family (they consider my younger brother something of a rival).
    They have been known in the past to capture pets and torment them, which is only one of the reasons I have to suspect them, but that's not actually the issue I'm concerned with right now.

Regardless of who did it, my cat's whiskers have been cut right down (couldn't have been done with anything other than scissors) and I'm wondering a few things:
    1. How long will they take to grow back?
    2. Will she be in any immediate danger without them, bearing in mind that she's predominantly an outdoor cat and spends most of the day wandering the local area (very rural, fields, trees, etc.)?
    3. This might sound a bit silly, as I'm not sure whether it's the whiskers themselves that are sensitive to touch or the skin surrounding them, but would cutting them have caused her any distress?

Thanks in advance for any help/information.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

A cat's whiskers are certainly very sensitive, but I don't know whether she would have experienced any physical pain, I don't think so though.

Cats use their whiskers to judge close distances, like when they're walking through narrow gaps especially in the dark, but not (as the old wives' tale goes) to aid in their balance. I guess there's a danger that she might try and squeeze through too tight a gap somewhere and get stuck.

I reckon they'd take a good while to grow back. One of our cats had a few whiskers accidentally shaved off when he struggled while having his leg shaved for a a blood test, and that took several months as far as I can remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭bounty_hunter

Aye, I know what they're used for, and that's what I'm worried about. There are countless places around here that she could get stuck, and the chances of finding her if she did aren't very high. I suppose I'll just have to keep an eye out for her until they grow.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

My cat had some shaved for an eye operation and they never grew back properly - that was over a year ago. She is fine. I wouldn't worry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Rantorama

I knew some pissed idiot who cut off their friends cats whiskers "for the laugh".

Just to reassure you the kitty did not feel any pain.

I think it took a few weeks/ a month or so for them to grow back.

Advertisement