Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat Query

Options
  • 15-08-2005 9:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭

Quick question.

A friend of mine has been feeding a cat thats adopted his family and setup home in his back garden the past few weeks. Its nice enough animal, looks well-groomed, etc...
    Thing is he's not too sure about letting his 2 very young kids near it, because he had heard (no joke) that it's possible to catch Aids from a cat.

So, basically, is this true or just a load of scaremongering?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭sickle

the feline form cant be passed to humans.
    if its a stray but he wants to keep it ,let his kids play with it etc. he should bring it to the vet and get checked out anyway,its probably full of fleas and worms....

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I totally agree with sickle. If he has kids then he needs to think carefully.
    Does your buddy think the cat might belong to someone else? Is there a collar?

If your friend thinks that having the cat could become a longterm thing then he should bring it to the local vet. At any rate - the cat should get some shots, flea treatment and worming tablets. If this cat is a stray, most vets will give a reduction in the cost. In addition, the vet should be able to check if the cat has one of those identity chips - that way if there is an owner, he can trace him/her.

I do advise if keeping the cat around (rather attracting the cat with food), to get it to a vet.

The kids wouldn't be able to catch aids from it - but I wouldn't be too sure about feas and what else they would catch. One of the shots that they give is against aids.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

The cat clearly isn't a full grown one yet, but it's not a kitten either, its kind of inbetween. Although the cat has no collar, it is pretty well groomed, so i guess it must have wandered off. I'll tell my mate to take it to the vet, check for identity, shots, etc...

Thanks for the advice guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

If its a female - ask the vet to spay her .. or next thing your buddy will have ickle baby kittens in the garden. Trust me. My cat Polly was a sray just like the little one your describing. She ended up having kittens (didn't catch her in time). Now I own her and her daughter.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

As said the feline form of aids cannot be passed to humans.

They can be vaccinated against the usual feline viruses and also against feline leukemia, not sure if there is a feline aids vaccine is out yet? Anyone know? They can however test the cat to see if it is a carrier.

The cat/kitten will most likley have worms and fleas..these can be easily treated by the vet.

All the kids have to do is handle the animal carefully and wash their hands before mealtimes etc. Regular worming of pets prevents passing them on.

With over 20 to 35 animals here at any given time my kid hasn't caught one thing from any of them yet :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement