Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Help with American car stereo

Options
  • 15-08-2005 4:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21,253 ✭✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

I have a Sony CD/MP3 player that I bought online from the states, but I didn't do my homework first :(
    It only tunes into stations with an uneven frequency increment (98.1, 101.3 etc), and not even ones (103.8, 104.4 etc).

Does anyone out there know if the firmware can be upgraded so the tuning is more exact? I have had a good look on google, and on the sony sites, but can't find anything. I would obviously prefer to update the one I have as it is a nice unit, rather than have to get a new stereo put in.

The unit is the MP-70, picture here

Thanks in advance for any help.

Eoin

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

There is a converter for with jap stereos or US stereos that switches the tuning step, I can't remember which one it works for though. It's been discussed here before anyway so a search shoulf help you out. Maybe you could do without the radio? I rarelt listen the the radio as I find most stations play crap anyway. Some know ripped my aerial off a few years ago and I replaced it with duck tape, I can still tune them in though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

I don't know how to switch them either. However, for anyone else contemplating purchasing a US radio of any kind, make sure it can tune in 0.1MHz steps, even though the country runs on 0.2MHz seperation and on the odd decimals.
    and as you have learned, not all radios are set to tune on the 0.1 steps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

American stereos are all preprogrammed to go up in 0.3 steps. I don't think the Jap radio converter will help either. The Japanese us 76 - 90FM whele we use 88-108. The converter just shifts or transposes our frequencies onto theirs by means of a device on the aerial. I don't believe it alters any frequency steps that would be programmed into the unit.

BrianD wrote:
    American stereos are all preprogrammed to go up in 0.3 steps. .......

Not around here. May be East or the Rockies. Anyone from the East Coast on-line?.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭blastman

No, you're right, AMurphy, it's 0.2MHz steps on the odd frequencies.

Someone gave me a Pioneer stereo that they bought and never used, it was only when I got it installed I realised it was obviously American in origin (0.2MHz tuning and no RDS on the radio). Still, it's good and loud and it plays CDs instead of tapes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I'm pretty sure I've seen something somewhere on the net that some newer models are programmable to switch from US to European tuning steps. If it's a model that's available both in the US and Europe you'll stand a pretty good chance, as no sensible manufacturer is going to make two different models, but make just one and make the choice of tuning step a pretty simple procedure.

From what I remember reading it's usually done either by opening them up and doing some pretty basic mod, e.g. flicking a dip switch or jumper, or snipping a wire bridge, or by some kind of magic key combination like holding down two buttons while switching it on. Try some googling, or find a specific car audio forum somewhere. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,253 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Alun wrote:
    I'm pretty sure I've seen something somewhere on the net that some newer models are programmable to switch from US to European tuning steps. If it's a model that's available both in the US and Europe you'll stand a pretty good chance, as no sensible manufacturer is going to make two different models, but make just one and make the choice of tuning step a pretty simple procedure.

From what I remember reading it's usually done either by opening them up and doing some pretty basic mod, e.g. flicking a dip switch or jumper, or snipping a wire bridge, or by some kind of magic key combination like holding down two buttons while switching it on. Try some googling, or find a specific car audio forum somewhere. Good luck.

Thanks folks, will renew my efforts on Google. I know Irish radio is crap, but it's even worse when your choice is effectively halved!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I also seem to remember seeing something where someone had taken their unit to a tame Sony repair guy (some relative of his) who did the job in 10 minutes. In this case it was just a matter of shorting two pins together. I guess you'd probably get no joy if you walked in off the street into a main Sony dealer, but if you know anyone "on the inside" as it where, they might do it for you.

I've emailed Pioneer with a similar request. Will let you know what happens,

Alun wrote:
    .........From what I remember reading it's usually done either by opening them up and doing some pretty basic mod, e.g. flicking a dip switch or jumper, or snipping a wire bridge, ..... Good luck.

I'd be inclined to think it is a "jumper" setting of some sort also, for the same reasons you indicate. is uneconomical to be otherwise.

btw, the same stratagy woud dictate all of the US is on the same chanels, ie 0.2MHz and Odd frequencies. Cause if otherwise, your cars, stereos from NY woud not work in LA, which is nuts and not done.

• Advertisement

Got a reply from Pioneer saying it couldn't be changed on the stereo I have. :( It does seem to be an American-only model, though, which makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,253 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

blastman wrote:
    Got a reply from Pioneer saying it couldn't be changed on the stereo I have. :( It does seem to be an American-only model, though, which makes sense.

oh well, maybe there are CDs we can buy of monkeys chattering that might simulate dublin radio...

eoin_s wrote:
    oh well, maybe there are CDs we can buy of monkeys chattering that might simulate dublin radio...
    Nah, you want the CD of hippo farts for that.... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭dawballz

Sorry to drag up an old thread but I need an email address for pioneer..
    Didn't find one on the site..
    Blastman? Do you have it please?
    I bout the head unit in the US, it is DEH-P4700MP over there, but in Europe it is called the DEH-p5700MP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

Yeah I seem to have the same problem with a unit i took home for my dad's car it's a:
    DEH-P3700MP

Anybody kow if its not possible to change all pioneer units or just some units?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

is not possible to have the American head unit fixed to work in europe. too costy. you need to change the radio tuner block on the main board. i doubt you can have this done cheap. Once bought you kind of have to leave with it.

Try pioneer_customerrelations@custhelp.com

louie, some of their headunits are sold in both territories and it is possible to switch the firmware depending on which area the unit is sold in. You could be lucky (I wasn't, unfortunately)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

thanks
    will try that email address and let ya know what happens....

Someone else had the same problem recently, they located a converter in New Zealand and it apparently works. keep digging.

here; try this and any other you find out there;
    http://www.minidisc.org/part_Car_Radio_Frequency_Converters.html

Not quite the same thing Murph, at least that link you posted isn't

• Advertisement

Well, keep digging, they're out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭legs11

right, im in the same boat. got a pioneer deh p80 mp, its a bad ass of a unit, but the radio is a disaster here.
    i emailed pioneer but no use. however, this unit is on sale in europe, asia and the usa. with the same model number, the uni itself was manufactured in thailand:confused:

if i could do a simple mod like a jumper switch it would be trying that. but wouldnt really fancy opening up this unit.

Advertisement