Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to object to a development?

Options
  • 15-08-2005 11:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,619 ✭✭✭✭

Bloke has applied for Planning Permission to build apartments across the road from my back garden. 4 stories high and they will look out over my back wall into my back garden which means if I'm sitting in the garden, I will have no privacy. On what grounds can I object to it and anybody any links so I can see a letter to the council?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

Not 100% on this but I pretty sure it won't make much difference what you do. They are trying to increase the population denisity so unless there is an actual violation you tend to be out of luck. At best you might get it reduced size but that is where developers intentionally add extra height to be talked down to what they wanted in the first place.
    Your privacy is an issue but accross the road from your back garden sounds further than 50m from your back window. If you know of any decisions denied in your area check out what grounds. If in Dublin City their website is excellent and you can see how the process works good to see how a well worded objection should be made at least. Hiring a proffessional to do it is going to be best but the best grounds to win on is lack of parking for the residents, vehicular access (both residents and emergency services) and relative height. Privacy and light don't have much standing and the rule I think is actually only 25m window to window
    At some point people started think it was easy to object and win but I can assure you it is not that simple. You may slow it down by up to a year but stopping it is unlikely. Have you seen the plans in fUll?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,301 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You are basicly objecting on overlooking and light grounds.

More practical may be objecting on "height and scale of development" or density.

Ideally what you might try is to ensure that their living spaces are on the opposite face to your garden.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 449 ✭✭Thomond Pk

Is your house a protected structure or close to any protected structures?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,619 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

One of the worst things about it is he wants to tear down some very tall trees which if left, would mean I would have some (not total) privacy. :mad:
    There's my back garden, single road one lane either way and then his house.
    Rumour is when he gets PP, he will sell the place for millions and millions.
    No protected structures, unfortunately. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

Did you look at the plans? Sometimes the site notices make you think it is worse than it is. It could be that the bathrrom windows face towards you which would mean relative privacy. Have you spoken to them? They might possibly keep the trees if you ask
    Rumours can be wildly inaccurate I had a neighbour tell me another neighbour was involved in dog fights based on the boxer they had which the neighbour kept calling a pit bull. :rolleyes: I understand that developments are disliked so people always think the worst.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,301 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Are they protected (or protectable) trees?

Also note that mature trees improve the value of a property.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I live in Co Kildare. Behind my house, houses are going to be built. They are going to be 2 story houses, low density. The original plans was high density 3 story apartments. The local TD, and residents association got it turned around.

Call a residents association meeting, and get a local TD to come. Explain whats happening, and what you'd like instead. No building ain't going to happen. So see if you can get a reduced building. Maybe a 3 story max, and leave the tree's. Good luck.

Advertisement