Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free/cheap Tennis Courts in Dublin?

Options
  • 15-08-2005 11:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭

Hello everyone!

A friend and I bought 2 tennis rackets and some balls yesterday so all we need now is to find a place to play!

We thought of ALSAA straight away because we work near enough to it so we went down there to see how much it was to use their tennis courts and they said it was €1.80 EUR per hour. Now that's great! But you have to become a member before you can play and that cost €170 EUR per year... :( A little too much for us...

So I thought I'd come here and ask you guys if you knew of any free/cheaps tennis courts in Dublin (Northside preferably as this is where we both work and live - sorry for being a pain! :p ).

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide! :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭blah

There's Dublin City Council courts in St Annes park, Raheny, at Watermill road I think it is. It's probably about €3 per hour per person (€2 for students), at least that's how much it is in Herbert park.
    Should do you grand if you can get there easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

Hi Blah!

Thanks for your reply! I know where St-Annes Park is but I've never set foot in it... Do you have to call and pre-book the tennis court or do you just show up to play? Have you played there before yourself? Are the courts well kept? I'm going to try and find a phone number for them... If anybody has it here let me know!

Thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

Right: I called Dublin City Council and they told me all I had to do was show up at St-Annes' Park and go to the "Tennis hut" (for lack of a better term) and book a court. Simple enough and no membership required. So we're going there tonight!

Thanks for your help Blah! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭blah

You're welcome,
    They're just tarmac courts but they're good for beginners, enjoy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 cikita

maybe do you have phone for St.Annes Park court?I would like to book time.
    Thank you:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭SoundWave

I know there are some tennis courts in the Park beside Swords Castle, not sure what the story is regarding opening hours but might be worth checking out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Cazlou

I second St Anne's and Swords, both very handy to play on, other northside courts are in malahide castle, €4 each for an hour/however long your match takes - unless there's lessons on you won't be rushed off-court. Only downside for there is there's no floodlights so if you're going later in the day you're better to try one of the other two!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 jeffpiaf

Just following up on the non membership clubs around the area. Is there any south-side?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

jeffpiaf wrote: »
    Just following up on the non membership clubs around the area. Is there any south-side?
    A few of the public parks have courts, Herbert Park, Sundrive Park, and I think Bushy Park still have some as well. The Spawell complex also used to have a load of courts that could be hired per hour, with lights, but I'm not sure if they are still there. Rathgar Tennis Club are required to allow a couple of courts for public hire as well, but they are a busy club so availability may be a problem. Again though, if the courts are free, you can hire them and get the lights turned on (obviously, at extra cost).

Thanks for that, i rang dublin co.co and they directed me to bushy and Herbert park costing between 4 and five euro's. Opening times 11 to 5.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭DH2K9

Medeowvale is 2 euro i think and you don't have to be a member.

Thanks DH2K9, but where is medeowvale?

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭seawoman

Any new ideas??
    I found one free on d15:
    riverwood dale, sometimes it is booking, but many times you can play for free :)

• Registered Users Posts: 36 jmb1

Hello,
    As far as I know, Herbert Park courts cost 10 euros per hour.
    There are also 2 free courts at Walnut Avenue (Drumcondra).

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭seawoman

Thank You

Walnut Avenue that is perfect :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I'm pretty sure this court is free: http://goo.gl/maps/xgHqc

You used to have to pay to use them but I think it's free now. There may be lessons there sometimes so could be busy, but you shouldn't have to wait too long to play or could offer to play doubles with someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,046 ✭✭✭✭neris

there used to courts out in howth in a small park that backed onto the train line. the courts still there but not sure bout nets. the park is on the left just before the council works, deer park and the old techrete site

Advertisement