Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

College in Scotland

Options
  • 15-08-2005 7:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭

Ideally this thread would go in the education section but there doesn't seem to be a suitable sub-forum, feel free to move it though. . . .

I'm looking at applying to start College in Scotland next year, my primary motivation for that location being the potential for free fees. I've got one or two complicating factors however so if anyone knows how it works or has any info that'd be cool.

Complicating factor 1:
    Free fees are for people in Scotland and the rest of EU, i.e. not people in England where I've been living for the last two years (that'd be three by next September). I can still correspond with UCAS and Scottish Colleges through my parents address but I'd just like to know how big an issue that'd be.

Complicating factor 2:
    I've already been through the Irish education system. Like in Ireland, Scottish free fees apply to your first time going through college (otherwise I'd be going back there :)). Does my time spent going through College in Ireland count against me for the Scottish education system? Obviously I'll have to declare my previous college existance as it'll help me with regard to application as a mature student.

Any info would be hugely appreciated, cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Any particular college in Scotland? All of them? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Ones with psychology courses - which seems to be most of them :)
    I'll place preference on colleges near a ryanair serving airport for cheap trips home and courses which have organisation/occupational psychology modules in their final year but that's neither here nor there. . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 doc strangelove

I'm over in Scotland myself, going into my 2nd year of medicine, and I'm wondering the same thing. I didn't think it was possible either, but a girl I'm in medicine with is getting free fees, and she's in the same boat as me (already has a previous degree in Ireland). I plan to ask her how she did it this year; I'll let you know if I learn anything.

The living in England thing shouldn't be a problem AFAIK as long as you show you're an Irish citizen.

As it is, what I payed last year wasn't bad (~£1,000), considering what they'd charge you in Ireland for medicine and how expensive it is to live in Ireland now compared to Scotland.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Cheers for that doc, I received the Paisley University prospectus in the post yesterday and it does seem their fees are heaps cheaper then either Irish or English colleges. Please do let me know if you find any other information regarding the eligibility for fees on the second degree - for one year the fee is ok but over the course of several years it'd be a tremendous difference!

Advertisement