Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where does your dog sleep??

Options
  • 15-08-2005 12:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭

Just reading the J R thread :D
    I have a big black lab and he sleeps either ON me on the sofa, or on the bed with me at night!
    Love it, and I don't care about the dog hair everywhere :D Thats what hoovers are for.....

Where does your dog sleep? 21 votes

Outside in a sheltered place
    0% 0 votes
    On/in the bed with you
    42% 9 votes
    On sofa/armchair
    33% 7 votes
    In own doggybed somewhere...
    23% 5 votes

Comments

In her kennel or on my bed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Kennel, outside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭flowerpotfrog

my dog sleeps on the floor in the room my parents refer to as the "utility room". she's kinda not interested in sleeping on soft stuff and i think she's scared of her kennel. ah bless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,240 ✭✭✭Endurance Man

When i did have my small jack russel :"(, slept under the covers with me :) . Keeps u so warm, she was very clean so i let her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Doper Than U

Ours sleep in the kitchen in their crate. My older dog used to sleep in the hallway, as she couldn't walk on the kitchen floor.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Waltons

Our dog sleeps in the downstairs bathroom as he has a tendancy to bark continuously if he sees something outside

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭shoegirl

He has his own luxury kennel - designed for a dog about 8 times his size.

He loves it :-) Its also sheltered under trees so its nice and warm and dry in winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Einstein

mine sleeps on a small couch in the kitchen, although when we move house next year, he may be learning to sleep in the utility room, or a nice big kennel outside. We'll get him another puppy then though so he can have some company!

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Irish-Lass

Our dog has a bed downstairs in the sitting room but one of the cats has taken over that at night :cool: so she either sleeps on the bed with us if it gets too warm she normally gets off and sleeps on one of the cats pillows on the floor but always sleeps in the room with us. The four cats also have an option to sleep in the room with us (I hear some people scream :eek: ) but they are our pets so therefore part of the family and the doors are all open at night so they can wander around the house to find comfie spots

The whole part of having a dog is that it is included in your life, I feel a dog left outside for the day brought in for a few hours then put back out doesn't have a lot of interaction with a family. We both work full time and the dog is there all day, we have a neigbour who comes in at 11.00 bring her for a walk then back to her house (she lives next door) brings for her another walk at 2.00 then puts her back into our garden and we are home at 5.15/30.....this was the only way I was getting a dog, she is in the house 24/7 when we are there unless of course to go have a wee or if she wants to play with her football, but is quiet content to potter around the house she is only 9 months old. She has 4 cats for company and goes around them all looking for sleeping parents (bit of a tramp our doggie :D ) but she is a well rounded, overly friendly, and most of the time obedient dog just the way I want her :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Sleeps on the stairs landing, I reckon he figured that as no one else "lived" there he could make it his space

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭ClareBear

Our dogs back at home have their own sofas in a garage with a doggy door so they can come and go as they please.

I miss my dogs :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Nimrod's Son

Our doggy sleeps wherever he wants during the day and spends every night in my brother's bed. He also has a rather chic mock leopard-skin dog bed (the type any good pimp would be proud of) in the kitchen. He has an uncanny knack of knowing when he's going to be put outside and as he's small, he finds somewhere to hide inside. So we've given up on him and let him sleep wherever he wants indoors.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Gazza22

My two boxers have slept in the kitchen all their lives...i wouldn't put them outside, i spoil them too much

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭crazymonkey

I have a purpose built dog run with access to the garage for my two, ( but in the house in the winter)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭kestrel

the origional intention was to put her in the kitchen...but she gradually made her way to my bedroom. she alternates between my bed (beside me, with her head on the pillow) and her bed, depending on how hot it is/how tired she is etc.
    The whole part of having a dog is that it is included in your life, I feel a dog left outside for the day brought in for a few hours then put back out doesn't have a lot of interaction with a family.

i agree completely. but it depends on the family- some families spend alot of time in their gardens, although they are rare. i love how my local dog shelter as it as a criteria of their rehoming that the dog is allowed in the house. fine if they sleep outside, but if the potential owner has a policy of 'dogs outside, people inside,' even during the day, the shelter will not rehome to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

On a duvet/blanket on our landing. Or on a chair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

My pair of thoroughbred mongrels sleep anywhere they damn well want to!! Mostly, the wee JRC type sleeps at the end of the bed and the bigger fella wanders between the bed and the sofa. Dogs are great and I love 'em!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Under the blankets of my sisters, mine or my parents bed. Every night since they were pups.

They are TOO spoilt.

But too adorable....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭dragona

Well, as I said before, my dog sleeps in/on the bed with me - hubby not too keen but I don't care, sorry.
    C.mon,I wanna hear from more people who let their dogs sleep with them - they crave company just as we do....
    I just ADORE him and he can sleep where he wants...........
    Where can I buy a black superking duvet cover??????????

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Irish-Lass

dragona did you ever think of getting a white one, buying a black machine wash dye from the chemist and doing it that way, fairly cheap and will save you a fortune.
    :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭hadook

Mine sleep in the hall at night - I carpet the floor in dog beds. (The puppy is teething so she can't be left in a room with things unattended.) If I need to get up to go to the loo I'll step over at least 2 before getting to the bathroom.

And no I can't put things out of her reach. She's a 7 month old great dane :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭Sgtshaft

When i did have my small jack russel :"(, slept under the covers with me :) . Keeps u so warm, she was very clean so i let her.

I have a Jack aswell and loves being under the covers aswell :)

Irish-Lass wrote:
    dragona did you ever think of getting a white one, buying a black machine wash dye from the chemist and doing it that way, fairly cheap and will save you a fortune.
    :D

Brilliant idea! Will try that......

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,506 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

My dog and past dogs have/had a tendency to sleep with all four legs stuck up in the air! Looks hilarious. Just wondering, is this a setter sleeping position as I have not seen any other dogs do it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Fuzzie Bear

Well my two sleep in their own bed downstairs (well whats left of it - as they're both young and are testing their teeth).

I would love to let them sleep with me, but can't until they get a bit older and stop eating everything. We've already been through a brand new sofa, a year old carpet, two lamps (wires chewed off), the playstation, their two new beds and the rocking chair. I can't really afford to keep replacing stuff and I know they would find something tasty to eat in the bedroom...

Wouldn't mind, as I own a petshop, they get plenty of chews, but would prefer what mummy doesn't want them to eat... lol

Although, when I go home to my parents, I do sneak their dogs up to bed with me....

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Wokie

My two sleep in hall in lovely doggy beds that I got them. Well in the case of one of them what's left of his bed...he's not a pup but still likes to chew things regardless of how many toys he has!!! To be honest if hubby would allow it, they'd be on the bed or anywhere else they like!!

BossArky wrote:
    My dog and past dogs have/had a tendency to sleep with all four legs stuck up in the air! Looks hilarious. Just wondering, is this a setter sleeping position as I have not seen any other dogs do it?

My dog is a labrador and he sleeps flat on his back with all four arms up in the air.........
    It is hilarious, especially when he snores and dreams, paws a-twitching!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,506 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Ok so Bruno and co are not alone :)

Reminds me of the God Speed You Black Emperor! album "stick your skinny fists in the air like antennas to heaven"

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭positron

We have a year old Golden Ret Irish Setter cross (hair ball), and she sleeps in the landing - from there she can see the stairs, door, hall etc and also keep an eye on the bedroom door - she barges in the second the alarm goes off!

• Advertisement
Advertisement