Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Boy Whose Skin Fell Off

Options
  • 14-08-2005 4:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭

Caught this on Discovery the other night at stupid o'clock, anyone else catch it?

It was a documentary about a guy called Johnny who had a skin disease called EB from birth, which means that his skin would literally fall off with contact..

He was given a year to live, and the documentary followed his last four months, from him organising his funeral to going to fundraisers etc..

I thought it was unbelieveably moving, Johnny had a great outlook on life and was always humourous, laughing all the way..

It was utterly compelling viewing and something that will stay with me for a very long time...

there's more info on the disease here

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

Roar wrote:
    Caught this on Discovery the other night at stupid o'clock, anyone else catch it?
    I saw it on RTÉ1 about five or six weeks ago. Tough to watch but but that lad, Jonny, would give anyone a lift the way he faced everything so positively. Sorry, I missed it on Discovery or I would have recorded it. Originally it was broadcast on Channel 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

Just see now that Discovery is showing it again on 22 September at 10pm. Well worth watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Very moving story.
    Puts all our own problems and worries in context.
    His story really captured the hearts of so many.

C4 has its own microsite for it:

http://www.channel4.com/health/microsites/B/boy_whose_skin_fell_off/

you can even buy a DVD of the programme there..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭alleepally

Seems ages since I first saw it on S4C. What an amazing bloke he was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 melody

yeah i saw it a think about a year ago on ch4.
    he was an amazing person, it was so sad to watch.
    i keep an eye out for that charity debra now which is good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

I seen it last year on C4 , was so sad but his outlook on life was inspiring... thought coming onto nell mc andrew was quite cheeky but fair fu*ks the fella for trying!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭Dizzyblabla

I saw it the other night, I could have cried for him when his mom was changing his dressings, I found it quite hard to watch, and yet I couldn't change the channel. His positive attitude should be a lesson to us all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭Maynooth

I saw it a while back too, amazing programme. I cried so many times and I rarely cry at the telly. RIP Johnny. A truly brave soul.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭CrimE

Yeah a truely inspiring story/person. His resilience, charisma and enduring positive outlook on life are what made this one of the best documentaries I have ever seen.

An example set worthy of the whole worlds respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

A brilliant piece of television, what a kid.

• Advertisement
Advertisement