Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foreign nationals in the Northwest

Options
  • 14-08-2005 11:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 45,867 ✭✭✭✭

Just looking for some comments/opinions on this topic which is as always very popular whether you are in the barbers, the local supermarket, the boozer or just meeting people on the street.

Are there too many of these people here?
    Are they denying the locals the opportunity of work?
    Are employers using them as slaves so to speak?
    Are they just spongers off the state?
    Are they helping the economy as was claimed in a recent survey?
    Are they criminals? and I base this question purely on the number of court cases that have had these people appear as defendants on charges ranging fron shop-lifting to murder.

Here's your opportunity to say your piece.

And by the way Paddy20 I dont know if any of them work in Mulrines :p

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

OFFS! :rolleyes:
    muffler wrote:
    1.Are there too many of these people here?
    2.Are they denying the locals the opportunity of work?
    3.Are employers using them as slaves so to speak?
    4.Are they just spongers off the state?
    5.Are they helping the economy as was claimed in a recent survey?
    6.Are they criminals? and I base this question purely on the number of court cases that have had these people appear as defendants on charges ranging fron shop-lifting to murder.

1.Shouldn't even be dignified a response.
    2.Highly unlikely, see 3.
    3.In these cases they are doing jobs that locals wouldn't do anyway, and sometimes these types of jobs are all that (some) foreign nationals can get.
    4.If they are not legally entitled to work, then how else can they afford food.
    5.Don't know much about economics tbh.
    6.In that case very fúcking obviously, some are. However, since they haven't all been charged with a crime, it would seem also as obvious that some aren't, I know an Irish man who was charged with murder, that must make me a criminal.

Now. That wasn't have as bad as I thought it would be.

Let the real flaming/trolling commence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭nanook

muffler wrote:
    Just looking for some comments/opinions on this topic which is as always very popular whether you are in the barbers, the local supermarket, the boozer or just meeting people on the street.

Are there too many of these people here?
    Are they denying the locals the opportunity of work?
    Are employers using them as slaves so to speak?
    Are they just spongers off the state?
    Are they helping the economy as was claimed in a recent survey?
    Are they criminals? and I base this question purely on the number of court cases that have had these people appear as defendants on charges ranging fron shop-lifting to murder.

Here's your opportunity to say your piece.

And by the way Paddy20 I dont know if any of them work in Mulrines :p

now i have to say that this is going to be one to watch carefully. I do not want to come across as the heavy hand of the law, which i am not, but please do not let this thread turn into a racist slur resulting in bannings, no questions asked or reasons given.

It is a good question of different cultures coming to our area and widening our minds and outlook on life. In relation to the questions

1. Absolutely not
    2. not a hope in hell, if the locals wanted or were willing to work the position would not have existed in the first place.
    3. I would like to think that all employers are aware of minimum wage and that all employees are aware of their rights, i know this might be a bit niave but i like to think the best of a situation
    4. I cant answer this as i have no evidence of what percentage of non nationals, it is an awful expression, are on welfare, but i employ people and i am only aware of one couple using welfare. In my opinion there are here to work and assist their families backhome
    5. Not sure
    6. Take a look at the court cases, alot more irish than any other nationality, if there is a non irish person in court then the papers are all over it like a rash but unlessthe case has a profile the papers are not intereasted

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

This is one thread thats gonna be looked at closely......

• Registered Users Posts: 45,867 ✭✭✭✭muffler

nanook wrote:
    now i have to say that this is going to be one to watch carefully. I do not want to come across as the heavy hand of the law, which i am not, but please do not let this thread turn into a racist slur resulting in bannings, no questions asked or reasons given.

It is a good question of different cultures coming to our area and widening our minds and outlook on life. In relation to the questions

First of all I should state that I am certainly not racist or indeed not suggesting that anyone should use this topic to post anything that would be considered offensive.

When I listed the questions in the thread opener I merely put them down as suggestions or points to start off with the topic. I wasn't suggesting that they were my thoughts or that they were direct questions that I was looking for an answer to. I think the first reply led to a direct answer to every question even though they were not numbered by me and as i said they were only the basis for discussion.

I am merely trying to get a "topical" topic discussed and hopefully in a considered manner. The Northwest forum has been void of debate and I thought that this would generate some discussion.

If this topic is considered to be too sensative then i have no objection to it being removed but then again if you lived in Russia you would expect this to happen.
    So fire in your comments and keep them non-offensive.

muffler you have taken my statement the wrong way.

I am not stating that you have any intentions of starting something. This is a good topic and one that would be a good discussion, all i was stating that this is not one where ppl cna start to vent anger at people who are not irish for no other reason than their accent or skin colour.

like i said that comment is not aimed at you or any poster who is willing to discuss a topic.

to take this one step further, i answered your qestions didnt I

• Advertisement

nanook wrote:
    muffler you have taken my statement the wrong way.
    like i said that comment is not aimed at you or any poster who is willing to discuss a topic. to take this one step further, i answered your qestions didnt I

No problem nanook. I didn't take it any way at all. I was just explaining by way of a "follow on" why I started the thread. And just to repeat - the "questions" were not put there for replies but as suggested points for discussion within the topic itself..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭magnumlady

I moved here (to the North West) 14 years ago from the UK, my parents are both Irish and live here so I moved to be closer to them in their old age but because I have a Brit accent I have come across so much racism. Much of your questions have at one time or another been directed at me. We are accused of taking local jobs, (even though I couldn't get a job and my husband had to start his own business), but no one seems to think about the Irish that move to other countries and 'take jobs'. Not that I'm suggesting that they do, but just to put it into context. I have been interrogated so much in the past because of my accent (which I can't seem to drop) so I've now given up and tend to keep myself to myself. I'm hoping that its just in the area I live, I'm sure (I hope) that not everyone would be like this.

How did you get the Brit accent if your parents live here

My parents moved to the UK in the 50's where I was born. They retired back here 15 years ago and I moved over as well. Hence most of my life spent in the UK and a Brit accent.

magnumlady, it is not just british accent, my wife, then girlfriend, went into my local village shop and when she entered she got the whole third degree.

She has an irish accent.

Rural Ireland is not able for change, eventually but for the moment it is slowly taking its time.

• Advertisement

You've restored my faith in the country! There was I thinking it was just the accent. I don't mind people asking questions but I feel like I should sit on a chair with spot light over my head when they start and whenever you ask them anything they dodge the question.

I partly agree with Nanook. In the larger villages and towns I would suspect that your accent would not be noticed at all.

In the smaller villages and rural areas I do think there is a wee bit of suspicion of anyone who does not have a local accent and therefore Magnumlady I wouldn't pay much heed to the locals.

I think each and every one of us would react the same if we lived in a rural and close knit community.

However with the development of more and more rural houses and especially those people who are moving out of towns and building homes for themselves the natives are slowly but surely adjusting a bit.

They now have to accept that there are people other than their own who will now form part of their community.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

Muffler,

Mulrine's currently employs about 2 Polish to every 1 Irish employee. They advertise regularly every week in the Polish national press for workers for their factory estate.

About 10 new polish workers take up employment with Mulrine's just about every week. Why ?.. because the local's would rather sign on the dole, than work for an employer who must have just about the worst reputation as an employer in the North West.

One Polish Mulrine's employee told me a few weeks back. "That he was packing up his job with Mulrine's, and heading back too Poland" as he never realised that such terrible employer's existed in Ireland, or that they would be allowed too exist ?.. ".

However, as a local myself. I know they exist. That is why I personally only ever worked abroad where I experienced prejudice, as I believe any foreigner in any country will experience. ;)

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Yeah, some of those eastern guys really get used as slaves by some seriously unscrupulous employers, and I'd say the North-West is even more guilty on that count than most of the rest of the country. I'd also go so far to say as people up here tend to be more closed-minded than people up in Dublin. Anyone different up here, foreginers, blow-ins, gays, even people with a slightly wierd haircut gets a abuse that you might not get in Dublin. Letterkenny is changing though, quite quickly, don't know about the rest of the north-west catching up though!

Advertisement