Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

brown kitten? or black?

Options
  • 13-08-2005 5:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭

Yesterday we adopted a little male kitten, about 8/9 weeks old.

He actually is a very dark chocolate brown, hazel eyes, sort of vague stripes on his fur.What are the chances of him staying brown, or will he become a plain old black cat?? :)
    Doesn't matter either way of course, but I reckon he will turn black and my hubby says he will stay brown, so if anyone knows please.....

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

will he stay that cute? ;)

and black is cool too!i dont know however if he will stay brown.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭dragona

Yep he is just so adorable, love the way he hisses at the dog, (who just looks away in disgust)
    But I was just wondering if black cats are born black, or do they develop the colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

My cat is brown too - he's gotten only gotten a little bit darker from when he was a kitten. He's more of a sandy colour than your ickle baby thou!

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Lamia

He's sooo cute!!! Stumbled across this: http://www.cat-world.com.au/Black.htm

Hope it helps :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Arcadian

Lots of 'black' cats have a reddish undercoat to varying degrees, one of mine has very faint tail stripes. I reckon yours will probably stay that colour or darken slightly, but will not be jet black.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

He will turn black. the sun has probably bleached his fur. Most cats change colour as they age.

There is no such thing as a black cat. A cat may appear to be black but it is actually just a very, very dark tabby. Black does not occur in nature. My cat appears to be jet black but in a certain light you can see tabby markings.

Same as panthers-they are actually leopards, just with a very dark coat. You can usually see their spots in sunlight, like in the picture below.

http://www.fatina.narod.ru/panther.jpg

PS That is one cute kitty you have!!!

Advertisement