Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dunness Stores In limerick

Options
  • 12-08-2005 10:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭

Does Limerick City really need another Dunness in the parkway????
    Dunness have practically a monopoly in the any new development....Why?

Is the market in our wonderful city only geared towards value chain store clothes and groceries nothing wrong with that but why is there not a choice?
    Tell me where are the Marks and Sparks, Power Citys etc.

Also a question for the lads where do you buy ur clothes in town? Apart from Dunness and Penneys etc there seems very poor choice!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

not that i use dunnes or anything but i really dont see it as a bad thing

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Jammyd

Does Limerick City really need another Dunness in the parkway????
    Dunness have practically a monopoly in the any new development....Why?

Is the market in our wonderful city only geared towards value chain store clothes and groceries nothing wrong with that but why is there not a choice?
    Tell me where are the Marks and Sparks, Power Citys etc.

Also a question for the lads where do you buy ur clothes in town? Apart from Dunness and Penneys etc there seems very poor choice!!!

Id have to agree it seems the other stores are reluctant to open outside of dublin. we in galway just got our first of two marks and spencers but any new development worth mentioning has dunnes stores anchoring it in galway leaving no large units for the other chain stores

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭gaf1983

When Dunnes Stores opened on Harvey's Quay they kept open there one on Sarsfield Street just a block away even though it was going to do less business.

Now that Dunnes have opened on the Childer's Road, they're gonna keep the store at the Parkway open too.

Why?

Well if they leave either site there'll be a perfect vacancy for one of their rivals to fill, why should they give any favours to the competition? That is why, I believe, there are so many Dunnes Stores in Limerick.

So even if we want more variety we can't have it, at least not in any of the existing sites occupied by Dunnes.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭theblackstuff

your bang on there gaf

dunnes policy is to retain as many sites thereby limiting its exposure to competition
    classic case parkway. the new dunnes at childers road is nothing special, in most respects it has poorer choice and quantity then its branch in the parkway,
    however the key to it is it been open 24hrs,
    this would not be possible in the parkway, security, expense and the like,
    so dunnes couldnt risk tesco opening in the childers and going 24hrs,
    it makes sense, and it also forced superquinn to stay open until 11.30pm weekdays..

however keeping their branch at sarsfield bridge, thats just been greedy..

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭IceHawk

Does anyone know if they're doing the same thing at Jetland or if they're getting rid of the old complex. I was under the impression that they were keeping both. That'll be two dunnes outlets directly beside each other. Every Dunnes in Limerick will now be within 500m of another one.
    Maybe it's a precautionary measure. If one Dunnes closes then people wont be forced to shop in Tesco or Superquinn, because there will be another dunnes nearby :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Maybe it has something to do with keeping Ireland green? Perhaps Dunnes are in cahoots with the Department of the Environment in order to promote green countrywide? Ooh, I smell a 100% unlikely conspiracy theory that I'm going to have fun dveloping. :D <-- :eek: (See, they're even taking over the smilies!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Zapho

So we'll have 2 on Childers Rd, 2 at Harveys quay and 2 in the jetland. So no matter where you move to in Limerick City, you're gonna be near one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

They build them so they can get the money from the gov. after 10 years they will move out of the new places and weep the rewards, but they will still have they other places!
    Its all business!

They build them so they can get the money from the gov. after 10 years they will move out of the new places and weep the rewards, but they will still have they other places!
    Its all business!
    i very much doubt they will be leaving the new places in 10yrs

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 79 ✭✭strettie

The Jetland will only have 1 building, the old building will be demolished to make way for a large car park.

Limerick_Man I am fairly sure they are getting no money from government for these premises , neither are in tax incentive areas and none would be entitled to employment or capital grants.
    Just Dunnes investing big time in its facilities in Limerick

• Advertisement

well the with the tax incentives plus what they get for selling... they will get a pretty pnny

• Registered Users Posts: 51,158 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Its all business!

Dunnes Stores as a policy don't close/vacate their old premises as it might result in one of their competitors moving in on it. They still have the store on Sarsfield Street even though they have the new place in Spades.

They bought the place on Childers Road because they are redeveloping their store in the Parkway, if talk is to be believed that place is going to be levelled and built up again as a two story shopping centre with a multi-story car park.

bazz26 wrote:
    that place is going to be levelled and built up again as a two story shopping centre with a multi-story car park.

The likelyhood :rolleyes:

And not now since there are just after doing the place up!!!

bazz26 wrote:
    Dunnes Stores as a policy don't close/vacate their old premises as it might result in one of their competitors moving in on it. They still have the store on Sarsfield Street even though they have the new place in Spades.

They bought the place on Childers Road because they are redeveloping their store in the Parkway, if talk is to be believed that place is going to be levelled and built up again as a two story shopping centre with a multi-story car park.
    thats a fairly crazy rumour where did you hear that?

What I heard (and I say heard, not written in stone or anything) was that the Parkway could be levelled and built up again as a two story shopping centre, not the Childers Road store. The Parkway was built in the mid 1980s, it needs a major overhaul if it wants to compete with the revamped Cresent SC or these new style retail parks. The thing with the Parkway is that unlike the Cresent SC it cannot be expanded anymore even if they wanted to due to a lack of space while keeping appropriate parking. Of course this is all rumour.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

It could easily happen. The Parkway has been fading over the past few years - we used to always go there when we were small because the crescent was deemed too far when there were time restraints. As long as they don't make it as poorly laid out or horrible as Dundrum.

thing is though dooradoyle only has the cresent while on childers road you got the parkway,parkway retail park, the new place with atlantic homecare and your fairly near superquinn and storm cinema can the cresent compete with all that

I think so, I live close to the Parkway but have no problem going to the Crecent if I need something that is not available near or if I find it a bit pricy. Also some of the shops are only in one place rather than both. It is good and healthy to have a choice rather than the "buy it from us or not at all" attitude of some retailers.

Only thing is that some smaller shops have closed. E.g. There used to be a small Hardware shop in the Parkway that was very handy to pick up some DIY items. It was not expensive by any means and locally run. This has now closed due to Home Base, Atlantic and soon to open B&Q in the area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭scuba steve

ya that DIY shop was very handy, used to shop there 2 myself

Same in the cresent, they have no DIY or hardware type shop

• Advertisement
Advertisement