Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your a star----amost dead, we can but hope!

Options
  • 12-08-2005 6:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭

From todays Indo
    The "You're a star" talent show will not be used to pick a winner to represent Ireland in the Eurovision song contest when it returns to TV in November

About time too, I hope that this move will spell the demise of this awful show.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I can't see RTE killing it off - sadly, the current "celebrity" (cough) you're a star is getting great ratings. They make too much money from all the muppets texting their votes in and can charge higher rates for advertising due to its good ratings.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭neGev

Utter tripe that should have been canned a long, long time ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

The "You're a star" talent show will not be used to pick a winner to represent Ireland in the Eurovision song contest when it returns to TV in November

Eh, are we even in it next year? If not, there ya go...

I thought we were lumbered with the thing every year...although I could very well be mistaken.
    Actually, I'm sitting here and I'm unable to care less one way or another

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Maybe it just means the end of the Eurovision song contest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Skitbra

Well all countires are in it now but not the main one show. Like this year we will have to qualify on the Thursday before the main event on the Saturday. I can't wait for the next one.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Not awful if you're a tween or a parent with a tween. :rolleyes: Mind you we did win the world karaoke championships a few weeks back so we obvious love this kind of rubbish.

I didn't even know there was a world karaoke championships. Are all the contestants required to get plastered before the competition begins? If that's the case, I'd watch that ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

According to yesterday's Evening Hearld "You're a Star" has been dumped.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Not just 1st but second as well :D

http://www.unison.ie/breakingnews/index.php3?ca=42&si=76904
    An Irish singer has been crowned 2005 World Karaoke Champion

The young woman, 23 year old Rachel Brown from Blarney, County Cork, beat 64 international competitors to claim the top spot.

And, 29-year-old Danny Cummins from Fairview won second prize in the event, which took place in the Finnish town of Heinola.

A large Irish contingent went along to support the singers.

Karaoke Ireland organiser Anne Marie Cambell was in the audience, and said that it was Rachel's emotive performances that won the day.

• Advertisement

The fact that Irish people won first and second in this competition makes me wonder if they haven't stretched to calling a Republic of Ireland & Northern Ireland event international.
    Damn I'm interested in this. For moreso than is healthy I'd imagine.

What a pity I can't see the story on unison to find out the finer nuances

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭OFDM

You're a Star is a big money making racket for RTE so they'll no doubt keep it in some form or another, just not for picking the Eurovision entrant.

Does this mean the return of the National Song Contest?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭alleepally

You're a star IS returning but it won't be a vehicle for choosing a Eurovision entry. It's back to the original talent contest format.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

An Irish singer has been crowned 2005 World Karaoke Champion

The young woman, 23 year old Rachel Brown from Blarney, County Cork, beat 64 international competitors to claim the top spot.

And, 29-year-old Danny Cummins from Fairview won second prize in the event, which took place in the Finnish town of Heinola.

A large Irish contingent went along to support the singers.

Karaoke Ireland organiser Anne Marie Cambell was in the audience, and said that it was Rachel's emotive performances that won the day.

I remember that, I listend to her interview on 2fm for some reason.

As much as I'd like the see the demise of You're a Star" and its eradication from the face of the planet I can't see it happening until it becomes unprofitable.

Although the Eurovision fiasco showed us all how crap it was.

Advertisement