Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat constantly crying?

Options
  • 10-08-2005 10:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

Our cat at home has been bawling a lot lately. I don't think that he's just over-whingey. He stops bawling momentarily once he gets fed, and then he's bawling again.

He has gotten a bit thin lately and his fur isn't looking the greatest. Any ideas? Or is it a trip down to the vet for the poor thing?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Liam90

i would suggest to take your cat to the vet it sounds ill

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Cats usually let you know when something is wrong. If he's crying there is something wrong with him. Bring him to vet and get him checked out.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Yv

How old is he? Cats grow a lot more vocal with age, & a lot more social, ours has taken to standing in the sitting room doorway pestering me until I sit down & let her lie on me. She's also gotten very thin & went through a phase of balding on her ears & belly, though it's all grown back now - vet also put that down to aging. Just something to consider, if your cat is old it could be just the natural process of getting older. Having said that, a trip to the vet is always the only thing to put the mind at rest :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Is the cat neutered? If loosing weight take him to the vets, he could be crying in pain, could of been injured without you knowing it, cats are good at hiding things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

Vet, asap!
    it has the potential to be anything from a simple stomach bug or skin allergy, to being a tumour or worse.

Rule of thumb, if any animals crying -VET-
    (NO animal will cry in pain unless its pretty serious, its instinctual, if they did it in their wild state they would be advertising themselves as easy prey!)

Specially cats, crying is the LAST thing they tend to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

How old is the cat? Sounds similar to a problem that our cat had, hyperthyroidism, which is caused by a benign tumor of the thyroid gland. Loss of weight, bad coat and the increased "vocalism" as it's called, are all classic symptoms.

Anyway, take him to a vet, whatever. If it's what I described, they'll give him a blood test to determine the levels of thyroxin in the blood, and then he'll be on medication for the rest of his life (between one and three small white pills a day).

Advertisement