Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Garage for Pre-nct test

Options
  • 10-08-2005 5:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 915 ✭✭✭

can anyone recommend a garage for me for pre-nct test on 96 suzuki, in Lucan, Leixlip area - cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭mmenarry

My advice would be - don't bother with a pretest.

The NCT will let you know what needs to be done for 50 quid (which you'll have to pay whether it passes or not)

A retest is 25 quid or there abouts (assuming it needs test equipment on the retest, it's free otherwise).

Total cost 75 quid plus repairs.

Minimum cost if you do a pre-NCT test at a garage:
    Garage pretest cost, plus 50 quid (NCT), plus repairs - if it passes first time.

No garage will do an NCT pretest for 25 quid or less. You've absolutely nothing to gain by having a garage check it out.

Worst thing I ever did was take the car in for a pre-test. 700 euro worth of repairs later, and it failed on two different things that were supposedly fixed in the pretest.

Michael

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭iregk

Totally agree, dont know why anyone goes for a pre test.

Just do the nct, they will tell you what needs to be fixed, get them fixed and €25 for retest and your laughing.

Remember the garage average price is €40 for a pre test so your saving 15, plus if you still have to get repairs thats on top of the 40 youve shelled out alread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

^^ Same again
    Best value pretest is the NCT.
    & They're guaranteed not to tell you to fix anything that wouldn't cause your car to fail.
    mmenarry wrote:
    700 euro worth of repairs later, and it failed on two different things that were supposedly fixed in the pretest.
    ... which may not have even needed doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭mmenarry

Gurgle wrote:
    ^^ Same again
    Best value pretest is the NCT.
    & They're guaranteed not to tell you to fix anything that wouldn't cause your car to fail.

... which may not have even needed doing.

Yup - hefty repairs for emissions (failed on that), steering alignment (failed on that too). Got some other stuff sorted at the same time, but the bulk was NCT relevant.

Michael

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭JOSSYJACOB

Plz DONT go for Pre-NCT check. I went for that after doing Euro 1000 worth repairs but failed on
    1.Front Axil allignment test
    2.Insecure Airfilter Assembly

When i went back and asked why it failed after Pre-NCT check, they told me that nct check involves lot of equipments which they dont have, yet they carried out the Pre-NCT check!

This Pre-NCT check bullsh*t is simply to loot money, out of your pocket

Dont be a fool to go for that. After the NCT check they will tell you what problems your vehicle has(if any).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 EimearCritchley

does anyone know if you need to bring your fail cert with you when you go to get it retested?? do they have a copy of why it failed the first time around?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

does anyone know if you need to bring your fail cert with you when you go to get it retested?? do they have a copy of why it failed the first time around?
    No. They have it all on computer.
    This Pre-NCT check bullsh*t is simply to loot money, out of your pocket
    +1
    Don't waste your money on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,293 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

just go for test although if you have a blown bulb or something equally obvious, get that done first.
    Dont do a pre test. You could search on here for other threads about this and you would find many with people complaining that their car failed after spending up to 1000 euro in some cases, much of it not needed to actually pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

The pre-test is a waste of money - you should get the headlight alignment set, it would be sickening to fail on something so simple.

Advertisement