Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dear god - help me.

Options
  • 10-08-2005 1:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭

I'm am in complete musical crisis. I have an mp3 player with 5,000 songs on it and i just can't find anything i really want to listen to. Its eclectic ot say the least - but I don't want to listen to anymore generic "The _____" bands - that somebody thinks is the next new thing. Nor do I care enough to listen to some crazy swedish band produce 70 mins of noise that someone thinks is art.

Its complete crap. Where has all the music gone??!?

Do your worst (best)...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭spooydermot

I'm the same way with my MP3 player, I generally end up listening to the same 3 or 4 albums out of thousands of songs. I think the best thing to do it delete the stuff that your familiar with and start again. (btw I completely agree with the comment on alll of the "The ________" being pushed at the moment)

in fact, you could do worse than to head over to CPU.ie and download some stuff there, they are a pertty good source for new legal music.

What I'm doing at the moment is just heading in a different direction from what I usually listen to, and re-stocking my collection based on that decision......

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Listen to something you assume* you utterly hate due to them either being media whored to a specific sector of the market you hate, or that seems overly mainstream to be good, or that you hated on seeing just one of their videos once in the days MTV showed music... usually works for me, theres a few bands I've even gone to see in concert after trying that.

*doesn't work if you actually -do- hate their music, it has to be an assumed hate.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

MYOB - i've tried it. I even listened to a Missy Elliot album a few times. Complete diarrhea-inducing twaddle. I've found good albums thin on the ground this year, and my hit to miss ratio on random exploration is becoming a very very small fraction, soon my calculator will start giving me error messages.

I might listen to some classical music perhaps...........

spooydermot - i've done the whole restocking every now and again (all the while keeping the essentials).

Perhaps there comes a time where you listen to too much music and you cannot get stimulated by it anymore. I may have some sort of musical impotence.... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Indeed, there's a huge problem with a lot of so-called 'Alternative' music today in the sense that there's a lot of bands coming out (Indeed, so many "The" bands are a good example) that are nothing more than pop dressed up with guitars to appeal to a different market than the likes of Britney and Christina would, hailed by the likes of NME and other such rags as the next big thing, the saviours of rock (honestly, how many times have we heard that before, and when have any of them ever actually saved it?) and then swiftly forgotten the second their single drops out of the chart.

Not suprising that anyone could get fed up of that kind of pap. So, here's what to do! Get away from 'Alternative' music entirely, and listen to something that's genuinely alternative, not just pop under a different label. If you're listening to songs that all follow the same pop song structure that would generally go start/verse/chorus/verse/chorus/bridge/verse/chorus/end, you are practically listening to the exact same songs over and over again, even though the band might change, it's all practically identical. Simple structured pop designed for mass consumption that you get bored of easily so you have to move onto the next thing.

Try and listen to some Jazz. The use of interesting composition, unique scrutures, timings and originality should be a breath of fresh air. I cannot recommend The Mahavishnu Orchestra enough, especially the album "The Inner Mounting Flame", an absolute masterpeice of Jazz Fusion! I also recommend Pat Metheny, who is an absolutely fantastic artist altogether. Try for some recommendations on the Jazz board.

Listen to some Classical music aswell, aswell as some Film Scores, as it's all classical composition, it doesn't confine itself to the tedious pop song structure. Listen to Mozart, Bach, Greig, or Phillip Glass, James Horner, Basil Poledouris, or whatever classical/modern composer might take your fancy. Got a favourite film? Go listen to the score, get the soundtrack.

Hope that helps.

That's not a bad idea - although I did go through a world/new-age music faze recently - which left a slightly sickening feeling in my stomach. Adiemus, Enya etc. That was kinda brought on by listeing to Graceland (Paul Simon) - and I decided I wanted to hear some Ladysmith Blackmambazo - but couldn't find any of their stuff - so I tried to find equivalents....

Yeah like I have listened to plenty of jazz (Coltrane mostly) and classical (Bach, Strauss etc) - but I find it lackign something to really capture me. The closest I have really appreciated would be Verdi - The Anvil Song, Chorus of the Hebrew Slaves etc. Great stuff.

I guess I'll keep trying - eventually something will stick...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Ah, but have you actually heard The Mahavishnu Orchestra? If not, get yourself a copy of The Inner Mounting Flame right now.

i haven't - i'll see if i can track down a copy... somewhere...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    MYOB - i've tried it. I even listened to a Missy Elliot album a few times. Complete diarrhea-inducing twaddle. I've found good albums thin on the ground this year, and my hit to miss ratio on random exploration is becoming a very very small fraction, soon my calculator will start giving me error messages.

I might listen to some classical music perhaps...........

I forgot to add "don't even try Urban". :)

Got any friends you can raid the hard disks of? Grab a huge amount of stuff off them, and put them on a Winamp randomiser playlist. If you've got Sky, try watching, without prejudice (being drunk helps), your way through the music channels from 441 up (MTV doesn't count as "music"). You'll find -something-.

And ignore NME, for the love of god... fecking Kerrap! is more good these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,468 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Re*ac*tor -- Name your 5 favourite bands, and we'll see if we can make some recommendations based on those.

Bands/Artists who I like or have liked at some stage or other:

Neil Young (obviously)
    At The Drive-In
    Gomez
    Various permutations of CSN(Y) [some good - some bad]
    Bob Dylan (Highway 61/Blood on the Tracks/Desire era)
    Bruce Springsteen
    Loudon Wainwright III
    Early Rolling Stones (Beggars Banquet/Exile on Mainstreet etc)
    Pixies
    Violent Femmes
    Husker Du
    Early REM (Murmur)
    Gram Parsons
    Ryan Adams
    Green Day
    Andrew WK
    Joni Mitchell
    Kraftwerk
    The Smiths

That'll do for now - its impossible to name just 5 though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭shuushh

yeh this tends to happen with a mp3 player you have so much choice you get a bit overwhelmed

a good way to enjoy music once more is listen to singles for awhile youd be suprised how much enjoyment you might get from listening to so called ****ty pop music every once in awhile

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/top/2000-04/singles/

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/top/2004/singles/

http://stylusmagazine.com/feature.php?ID=1419

in terms of new albums try these for something different

Sufjan Stevens - Illinois
    Antony and The Johnsons - I Am A Bird Now
    LCD Soundsystem - LCD Soundsystem

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Get Menomena's album "I am the Fun Blame Monster" if you can. You'll spend the first few listens scratching your head, after which you'll love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,468 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Husker Du - Look for some Sugar and Bob Mould.

Green Day/ATDI/Andrew WK - Look for Bowling For Soup, The Donnas, Sekiden, Fallout Boy, Something Corporate, Third Eye Blind, Weezer, Wilt, Kerbdog

Pixies - Look for Breeders, Frank Black/Black Francis, Sonic Youth, Veruca Salt

Kraftwerk - Daft Punk, DJ Shadow, Royskopp

Early REM - Try Guided By Voices, Idlewild, Kasabian, Matthew Sweet, Joy Zipper, Matthew Good Band, Porcupine Tree, Maximo, 3lb Thrill, The Byrds, Modest Mouse, Paloalto, The Shore, The Posies, Nada Surf, Remy Zero

Ryan Adams/Neil Young - Try Pete Murray, Brendan Benson, Jack Johnson, Pete Yorn, Joe Chester, Rufus Wainwright, Deadstring Brothers, Scott Maher, Bright Eyes, Calexico, Jesse Malin, My Morning Jacket, Josh Ritter

(I know there are a few 'the' bands, but my ones don't suck!)

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Rockiemalt

theres a good website called audiojunkies.net about music and stuff. introduced me to lots of really good bands.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I really recommend the Angels of Light. Their new album "Angels of Light Sing Other People" is a good place to start. Michael Gira has a great voice but its not everyone's cup of tea. The music is a rock/country kind of thing but sounds really unique.

Another band I think everyone should listen to is Low. Anything by them is excellent. They do a great cover with the Diry 3 of "Down by the River" by Mr. Young.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

RE*AC*TOR

Try these bands
    Gang of Four
    Post-Punk/Art rock band from the late 70's early 80s
    REM used to suport them back when they were wee ones
    Think funky basslines with chainsaw guitars and dark political vocals
    get the albums Entertainment! or Solid Gold

The Chameleons
    Atmospheric pop band from the early 80's some cracking tunes
    their debut "script of the bridge" is my favorite

Fatima Mansions
    one of the best and weirdest bands this country has produced scott walker mixed with heasvy industrial music you never know what to ecpect with the next track fantastic lyrics as well
    get Viva Dead Ponies

Gil Scott Herron
    The "relolution will not be telivised" guy as I concidered him until recently but everything ive heard so far of his jazzy r&b is great
    get peices of a man

Killing Joke
    known by many only as the band nirvana stole the riff for come as you are from. Their first 2 albums were astonising the next few were pretty good as well. Try thier self titled dubut(altough note their recent comback album is also self titled the old one is in white) or their second album whats this for?

Martin Grech
    The best by far or the current singer songwriter crop has been compared to radiohead but he isnt just a copycat. New album unholy is great

McLusky
    Recently split band that sound like the pixies would if they were a punk band from wales. Get McLusky do Dallas

Teenage Fanclub
    The finest power pop band ever. Perfect melodys and harmonys get Songs from northern britain

That Petrol Emotion
    The O'neill brothers other band far superior musicly,lyricly and vocaly than the undertones. Get Babble

65 Days of Static
    Post Rock band but not as pertentious as this great genre can cometimes be.
    get The Fall of Math

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Karlusss

Given that list, I can't recommend Wolf Parade enough. Devendra's better than Michael Gira, in the same vein as well ^^ and if you like Loudon, why not try Rufus and Martha?

Karlusss wrote:
    Devendra's better than Michael Gira, in the same vein as well

As much as I love Devendra he's not fit to tie Mike's boots. I've over twenty CDs of his (solo/Angels of Light/Swans) and not once has he disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

65 Days of Static

Seconding this suggestion too.

Actually Re*Ac*Tor, get the book "Rip it up and Start Again" by Simon Reynolds . It's a history of Post Punk music, not just the weird bands but basically anything that took up from where punk died. Covers everything from obscure arty bands like Wire (who are excellent) to trashy electropop like the Human League. A very enjoyable book. It should reignite some interest in the bands you know and give you a rake of suggestions for your "To buy" list.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭HarryHoudini

Go out and listen to some Brittney, Mariah, J-Lo, Christina etc. and then you'll be gagging for your mp3 player music.

Failing that I've been listening to Lou Barlow a lot recently, Emoh has grown and grown on me, the song 'Mary' is just perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

you'd surely find something to like on john kelly's or donal dineen's radio shows
    obvious but true
    *shrug*

ok here's what i'll do - i'll keep a diary of what i listen to over the next few days. Let you know what i think. I've already obtained some stuff and have other stuff that i haven't really ever listened to (Gang Of Four).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Jesus Trash Can

Sounds like you may need to wind down a bit. Maybe some alt. country would do the trick. Try Mazzie Star's So Tonight That I Might See. A sort of wierd cross between the Velvet Underground, The Jesus and Mary Chain and Emy Lou Harris. If it's a short sunny break you need, try Rodrigo y Gabriella's Live in Manchester. Super charged Spanish guitar, it'll soon recharge your batteries. On my CD player at the moment though is The Lemon Head's debut album The Lemon Heads and The Wannadies album Bagsy Me.

1. Mahavishnu Orchestra - The Inner Mounting Flame.

At times brilliant - at times not so brilliant. Esp. liked violin/fiddle part in track 2 (Dawn) and track 6 (Dance Of Maya) which very much reminded me of a live Neil Young jam. Anyway I'm not completely sold - at time it was a bit prog-rocky for me. I will give it another turn round the mp3 player though...

Next up LCD Soundsystem....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Jesus Trash Can

Well said Karl.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

if all else fails rip it up and start again go back in time to the first album/single you bought and back to the first time you realised music was good and wished you could have been there to see it the first time....

losing my edge :D - great song, album as a whole though? I'm not sure. Its good - maybe a little "nowtro". Actually as I'm writing this I'm listening to Yeah (Crass Version) - tis very good really.

trishw78 - the first single I bought was something really awful that I'd rather not go into. I guess Nirvana maybe were one of the first bands that really got me into music.

jesus trash can - I've been around the alt.country block a few times, and find it promises more than it delivers. The likes of Uncle Tupelo and Wilcon et al. I find them quite dull actually - unlike say Gram Parsons who would be more to the country side than rock, who sings really passionately or Ryan Adams who can at times have really explosive music - or even Willis Alan Ramsey who's album is just plain beautiful. By the way - great book to read on the whole emergence of country rock/alt.country is "Are You Ready For The Country".

Next up - Guided By Voices - Half Smiles Of The Decomposed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭spooydermot

a pretty cool album is Jim White's "Drill a hole (in that substrate and tell me what you see)" , especially the opening track ("Static on the radio") which features a duet with Aimee Mann

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Rival Schools

Advertisement