Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

War of words between Cullinane and Deasy

Options
  • 09-08-2005 11:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭

From the Munster Express Website -

War of words between Deasy and Cullinane

By Jamie O’Keeffe

Sinn Fein city councillor David Cullinane has described Deputy John Deasy’s latest observations on crime - wherein he called for people to be allowed to protect themselves in their own homes - as “appalling and distasteful”.

However, the Fine Gael TD has hit back, describing Cllr. Cullinane as “a waffler and a do-gooder”, adding: “God help ordinary people living in fear if this guy gets into the Dail”.

David Cullinane said yesterday that he found it “truly shocking and a disgrace that any politician would attempt to get cheap publicity with outrageous and ill-thought out policy proposals on tackling crime and burglaries”.

By declaring that if the state cannot provide adequate protection to householders then the law needs to be changed to allow people to protect themselves, the former FG justice spokesman was “playing a very dangerous game,” he said.

“People already have the right to defend themselves if attacked. What Mr. Deasy is suggesting is that we go further and almost put the responsibility of deterring criminals and burglars on the householder. This type of dangerous attitude could lead to all sorts of problems.

“Ordinary people are not trained or equipped to deal with this type of situation. In fact the sensible advice that those in authority including the police give to people is not to confront or tackle a burglar. The chances of something going wrong are obvious where the defender could end up being the victim. Household items can be replaced but a person’s life cannot”.

Cllr. Cullinane added: “What we need is more effective crime control. What we need is a more community-based approach to policing. What we need is more resources for the Gardai. The last thing we need is reactionary and irresponsible politicians like Mr. Deasy trying to grab headlines with outrageous and nonsensical policy proposals”.

However, Deputy Deasy said last night that Cllr. Cullinane’s comments were “just another example of Sinn Fein sticking up for criminals”.

- It seems this one could go on for a while, Deasy does seem to stir it up nice and often, and Cullinane's reaction seems a bit odd to me. Does he not know that when a Sinn Feiner goes on about community based policing, some people think of baseball bats!

Sinn Fein sticking up for criminals though.. Thats John Deasy's view on it,

Id be interested in the views of the boardees on this one!

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Trotter wrote:
    However, the Fine Gael TD has hit back, describing Cllr. Cullinane as “a waffler and a do-gooder”, adding: “God help ordinary people living in fear if this guy gets into the Dail”.

While I dislike Fine Gael I'd have to agree with this, it'll be a very worrying day indeed.

On the other side of things I have to agree, it would be nice to be able to kill or injure every criminal that breaks into your home its never going to happen so why bother saying it?
    Its nothing but a PR stunt and a pathetic one at that
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

Deasy seems to have inherited that charmingly (naively?) right wing standpoint from the republicans he worked with in the US. I think he is genuine though, and my heart says, if some ****er comes in to my house, I want to blow him away. However my head says that this could cause more problems than it solves, and lets face it, we're not a gun toting, defend your patch, kind of country anyway.

I do hate this business of some burgler coming into to your house when you're not there, falling and hurting himself, and then suing you for damages, though!

Cullinane is just spouting standard Sinn Fein policy. Regardless of Sinn Feins links to the IRA, they have very well defined policies on violence and policing, and I'm sure Cullinane has met few enough IRA men anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I'm sure Cullinane has met few enough IRA men anyway.
    He practically lives with Gerry Adams...

I think Cullinane interpreted Deasy's words incorrectly. Deasy was suggesting that a homeowner should have a right to fend off someone who is tresspassing in their house. The current situation is crazy. If you see someone robbing your house you have to stand there and watch him take all your hard earned posessions and if you do go to confront him and attack him then he sues you!

Having been a victim to several house robberies I can safely say that it's not a pleasant experience! It seems that the robber has all the rights in the situation and not the homeowner!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

This feels to me like two bald men arguing over a comb (to borrow a phase).

A bit of a nothing really.

Its August!

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭Marcopolo85

merlante wrote:
    Cullinane is just spouting standard Sinn Fein policy. Regardless of Sinn Feins links to the IRA, they have very well defined policies on violence and policing, and I'm sure Cullinane has met few enough IRA men anyway.

God help Ireland if the Shinners EVER get into power (and it's looking likely). I'd take a coalition of ALL the other parties just to exclude them. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Uncle F

Cullinane is a clown.

Was listening to Joe Kelly on wlr yesterday about the Rossport 5. This is what makes me laugh. slab Murphy is laundering petrol and diesel across the Irish border and this man is on the provos army council and funding Sinn Fein with this money.

Politicians are all the same with the publicity stunts but **** it i do vote because people died for u to have your vote and in the last 2 elections i voted for John Halligan because he works hard for the less well off. he would make a brill td but wont get in as people see the workers party as an old party, which there right

Advertisement