Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Firing Range in Ticknock

Options
  • 08-08-2005 5:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭

Some activity (gorse clearing) has been noticed around the old firing range that you can look down to on the right as you walk up to the masts.

I was wondering if anyone here could confirm the speculation that it's been bought by Leinster Gun Club (I can't even confirm such a club exists via google!) and that they plan on reopening it as a firing range?

Rob

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

That would be The Leinster Rifle & Pistol Club.
    They're doing a lot of work up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rob1891

Thanks for the link. Anyone want to reassure me as to how safe this will be. It's in an area that get's a lot of walkers at the weekend. My first reaction was of disbelief, surely it's not the right place for a firing range?

Well, it's been a shooting range since sometime in the late 1800s, so it's pretty well established.
    I haven't been on the site myself, but it apparently has a well built system of firing points, butts, and backstops. So long as the walkers aren't trespassing on the range, I doubt they'll be in any danger.
    I can only assume that the club had been through the planning system, so anyone who might like to object has had a chance to do so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 MP

rob1891 wrote:
    Thanks for the link. Anyone want to reassure me as to how safe this will be. It's in an area that get's a lot of walkers at the weekend. My first reaction was of disbelief, surely it's not the right place for a firing range?
    Surely it's not the right place to be walking! It is clearly marked on OS maps as a rifle range so presumably walkers with maps will understand what that means and those without maps will be able to read the warning signs, they will most likely not walk on it as walking on a rifle range could be hazardous. If they do they will be trespassing as it is privately owned land and they could possibly be prosecuted. The Army used it regularly while there were walkers and courting couples nearby without incident (other than an occasional pregnancy and the Army could hardly be blamed for that) :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 MP

Rovi wrote:
    Well, it's been a shooting range since sometime in the late 1800s, so it's pretty well established.
    I haven't been on the site myself, but it apparently has a well built system of firing points, butts, and backstops. So long as the walkers aren't trespassing on the range, I doubt they'll be in any danger.
    I can only assume that the club had been through the planning system, so anyone who might like to object has had a chance to do so.

No change of use so planning should not be an issue.

• Advertisement

MP wrote:
    No change of use so planning should not be an issue.
    Even less reason for anyone to be 'surprised' then :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rob1891

Do you know how long has it's been since it was used as a firing range?

I don't imagine anyone would be tempted to go down into the range once it's been renovated & fences are put up, even the less than savvy day trippers that you find up there. It's the surrounding area that I'd be concerned about, for instance I'm almost certain there is a fire road going though the woods above the backstop area. Perhaps it was there during army use and isn't a problem, I don't know ...

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭sidneyreilly

It will be fully signposted and fenced off also all firing positions point downwards towards the butts. No need to worry :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

I would hope that there is enough land (and common sense) for a fireing range and for walkers to coexist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭mcguiver

That sites gonna be a disaster!!!
    I know it very well, it was a great place back in it's army days, but there are now walking trails going right through and behind it. Added to that it is a hang out for all the local scrambler bike muppits, they are there every weekend tearing the ground up, drinking and general bad behaviour...they'll wreck any work thats done there.

It's a very popular spot with easy access ....sorry to sound like a spoilsport....

• Advertisement

Check out this thread-
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=287848
    and another-
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=287849 (link to the first link)

I assume the guys in LRPC have all their 'I's dotted and 'T's crossed and have anticipated and planned for some backlash from the usual sources, but it looks like there are some rumblings of discontent starting up.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Rumbles of discontent are fine Rovi, there are always such rumblings. It's when you start hearing irrational stuff from either side that brown sticky stuff impacts on the air circulation device.
    Just let a rep from the LR&PC post on that thread and answer questions and allay fears. Nip it in the bud, so to speak, by giving out the straight honest facts of the situation before some nimby who doesn't know much gets to make up a tabloid story about it.

(edit: I've posted a quick note on those threads, but I'm not a rep for the LR&PC in case anyone wonders. I've also sent a note to the LR&PC to alert them to this)

Advertisement