Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Comfortable Trainers

Options
  • 08-08-2005 8:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭

I am doing the Marathon in Dublin on the 31st of October. I used to run competively in cross country on grass but haven't done so in about 6 years.

I went running over the weekend in my normal running trainers, on concrete, but my feet are a bit sore from the impact. I ran 14 miles on Sunday, 1hr 50 mins by the way. I have no foot problems or disorders. Just wondering what trainers most people would wear over concrete.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

A friend of mine has bad hip and back problems when running on concrete, so he bought himself a pair of Brooks runners, and when he did the mini marathon in the phoenix park in the spring he said he hadn't an ounce of trouble with his back and hips. I got a pair then as I was suffering from shin splints and I haven't had a single problem since either.

They're not that cheap, and may even be overkill as I hear the special in-soles are quite good for supporting and cushioning the foot.

Great Outdoors on Chatham street have a small selection of Brooks runners, and the staff seem to be quite knowledgeable, give them a try. They also have the in-soles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭dub1dude

cheers. don't really care about the price. it's not worth being in pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭epo addict

When i started running 2 years ago i got shin splints from running on conrete as well as wearing improper footwear..Got myself a foot scan and was told i needed specially made insoles called ortothics..Since i got them i havn't had any problems..

Never had shin splints. Problem is impact on hard ground with thin trainers. I am just looking for a support, shock absorption and comfort.

Anyone else use the Brooks trainiers?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

epo addict wrote:
    artothics

orthotics - close enough though ;)

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

can't go wrong with asics, i have the kayano and the nimbus and
    they are really good....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,493 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Visit Mick Dowling Sports World (ph 490-4502, 66 Terenure Rd North, Dublin 6W). Have a good reputation for providing runner gear.
    Arnotts have a wide selection of runner gear too.

I have Nike Air Pegasus. According to Road Runner Sports they are:
    Favorites of the high-mileage runner looking for a true cushioned trainer who has a small to medium frame and medium to high arches.
    The true cushioned trainer with just the right stuff. Not too firm, not too soft, it's the one for neutral runners wanting a nice comfortable ride.

I've recently changed to the Asics Gel DS Trainer because I wanted something lighter. Probably wouldn't be suitable for you for a marathon.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Maars

Just a thought...don't run on concrete. If you have to, run on tarmac, but you can train for a marathon by doing most of the mileage on grass.

For runners though, I'd recommend Asics.

Well I want to practice my running on concrete seen as much of the Marathon will be run on concrete or tarmac. So I need to change my running environment, I am used to grass.

Somebody else recommended Spira Footwear. I had a look at their site and it seems impressive. But I don't think they have a store in Dublin. Anybody know where I might get a pair, even to look at?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭vannistelrooy10

nike air max moto 3 order them from usa they are e40-e50 cheaper there

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 AlanSmithe3

Maars wrote:
    Just a thought...don't run on concrete. If you have to, run on tarmac, but you can train for a marathon by doing most of the mileage on grass.

For runners though, I'd recommend Asics.

I totally agree, there's absolutley not cushioning on concrete. It's literally rock solid. At least on the road the tar that holds the chippings together will give minimal shock absorbency. I've read that some people delelop pains along the outside of their right leg from the camber on the road, but I haven't experienced this personally...but I wouldnt run much more than 30 miles a week.

On the trainer question, I'd recommend Asics too. I had the 2100's last year and upgraded to the Kayano's this year, definitely the bast pair of shoes I've had so far. The Gel DS Racer is their long distance shoe, very light but Ive never worn them.

Best of luck with the rest of your preparations.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

I ran a marathon in a pair of Brooks Beat shoes..and although they provide great support and motion control they are NOT suitable for very long distances! From mile 16 onwards they felt like bricks on my feet...very heavy.

I ran another marathon in a pair of Kayano shoes and found them to be much better for long distances! They are lighter than the Brooks Beast but still provide great cushioning.

All in all, it depends on your foot and its structure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭martinl

nike air max moto 3 order them from usa they are e40-e50 cheaper there

vannistelrooy10
    Did you ever order running shoes online?
    And if so what was your experience like?

Was thinking of ordering online before, at the same time what if the shoes don’t fit it’s just hassle posting them backwards and forwards.

As you said the price differences, online shops to high street outlets, of running shoes here in Ireland is just nuts.

martinl wrote:
    vannistelrooy10

Was thinking of ordering online before, at the same time what if the shoes don’t fit it’s just hassle posting them backwards and forwards.

As you said the price differences, online shops to high street outlets, of running shoes here in Ireland is just nuts.

as reguards size just go into a sports shop that stocks the shoe you want get the size the not what it is in u.s size.
    i ordered runneres off nike.com and the were great i even got to design my own runners wat colour,size even got my name stitched into them.
    i got my motos in macys in new york the were about $10 cheaper than footlocker etc and even then they dont charge tax and give 11% discount to tourists.
    no high street shop here has a clue what a distance shoe is they look at you and point to the thing with most air bubbles. gob****es

martinl wrote:
    vannistelrooy10

as reguards size just go into a sports shop that stocks the shoe you want get the size then note what it is in u.s size.
    i ordered runneres off nike.com and the were great i even got to design my own runners wat colour,size even got my name stitched into them.
    i got my motos in macys in new york the were about $10 cheaper than footlocker etc and even then they dont charge tax and give 11% discount to tourists.
    no high street shop here has a clue what a distance shoe is they look at you and point to the thing with most air bubbles. gob****es

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭t5pwr

daveym wrote:
    can't go wrong with asics, i have the kayano and the nimbus and
    they are really good....

I have to agree. Asics I find are the best runners to run in...

But I haven't tried those Brooks though!!!

Just to note that it is always best to train on the type of ground you are going to be competing on

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Domer

If your feet are sore from running, maybe it is not the shoes that are the problem, but something higher up. Could be muscle imbalance, hip mis-alignment, prostural anomilies etc. You should go see a Physical Therapist who will perform a full Postural Assessment and also assess your movements. Shoes could be the cause of your problems, but it is safer to broaden the scope of the investigation and take a more holistic approach. Check out http://www.iapt.ie/locatept.htm to find a Physical Therapist near you.
    GOOD LUCK!!

Advertisement