Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Memory for an 1200+ Athlon?

Options
  • 06-08-2005 2:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭

Hi all,

A mate of mine has a PC with an Athlon (DuronXP) 1200+ CPU wuth 256mb ram. He looking to upgrade the memory. I have two questions, what type of RAM is required? And what is the maximum ammount of memory the motherboard can handle? At the moment there is one 256mb DIMM and there is one more slot available.

I had a look in the CMOS settings and the BIOS mesasges at boot up, but i couldn't find out what type of motherboard he had. I don't know if his PC came with a motherboard manual.

Cheers
    Flop

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭astec123

Look at the motherboard the name should be in big letters somewhere around the centre. I would guess that if the machine was as old as that it would max out at 512mbs of ram or if your lucky 1gb provided it was purchased when that processor was "new".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭djmarkus

I would say Sdram probably pc 100 or pc133. and i'd say the limit would be 256mb per slot(Could be wrong).
    Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭flop

I checked the Motherboard's part number and it's a: 071595-SIS730S-K7SEM-H. Looking on a few sites it says it can take up to 1GB RAM either PC100 or PC133. How can i determine whether i need to buy 100 or 133? will the speed be mentioned on the DIMMS or is there an app which will tell me what speed my memory is running at?

Cheers
    Flop

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭daywalker

if you download sisoft sandra and look under the memory modules section it should tell you everyhting about the ram you have installed already

http://www.sisoftware.net/index.html?dir=dload&location=sware_dl_3264&langx=en&a=

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

I have 128mb of PC100 if you want it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭flop

WizZard wrote:
    I have 128mb of PC100 if you want it.

Thanks WizZard, but the board only has two slots and i'm planning to max it out.

Cheers
    Flop

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

Hmm...

The K7SEM is made by ECS (also branded PC Chips sometimes). TBH it's a piece of crap, and the memory itself is very expensive as it's been superseded by DDR, DDR2 and (to a certain extent) Rambus.

Did a quick check on Komplett just to see:

An el-cheapo Socket 754 motherboard, plus a Sempron 2600+, and 1GB of PC3200 RAM (2x512MB sticks) costs 224 euro.

On the other hand, 2x512MB of PC133 RAM costs 228 euro.

Interesting, eh? Especially considering the fact that the cheaper system should be a *hell* of a lot faster...

Having said that, you'll probably be able to find PC133 second-hand quite cheaply, but make sure you test it thoroughly (memtest+ or something like that) before you use it.

Hope this helps,
    Gadget

Advertisement