Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hunter S Thompson

Options
  • 06-08-2005 12:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭

Hello people!

So...the works of the late and definitely great HST. Especially Fear and Loathing. Obviously I'm a fan (see username), what think ye?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭shuushh

fear and loathing in las vegas, the rum diaries and the great shark hunt are all very funny and enjoyable books

ah i wish i could write like that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Beekay

I just finished reading Fear and Loathing after the movie became one of my favourites.The movie really does represent the book very well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭doctor_gonzo

I agree. I think it's one of the best adaptations I've ever seen. And the casting was just perfect. Gilliam really caught the mood of the book. Rum Diary is fantastic too. I can only dream of writing like that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Nimrod's Son

Agreed. Rum Diary - fantastic. It has the funniest line in a book ever: "That crazy Yeamon threatened to twist my head". Fear and Loathing is a brilliant read. I'm yet to view the film I'm ashamed to admit. Haven't read anything else by HST but I'll go get my hands on some of his other stuff.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

"Don't take any guff from these swine!" this never fails to crack me up... the man was an amazzing writer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭doctor_gonzo

"Who said anything about slicing you up? I just wanted to cut a little Z into your forehead" That's gotta be one of my favourites from fear and loathing! it's just class!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

I've only read two of his books, both in the last few months however so I'm bound to read more - definitely someone I'd like to sit down with for a drink :)

p.pete wrote:
    I've only read two of his books, both in the last few months however so I'm bound to read more - definitely someone I'd like to sit down with for a drink :)

shame he's no longer around...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭humbleCounty

brilliant brilliant author, love everything i've read of his. Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail is good too, bit tough at first cos i didnt know so much about american politics but it gets really class, some great nixon rants.

love the bit at the start of Rum Diary when he's talking about the blonde bird on the plane, its so ****ing true.

the man was a genius, probably my favourite author, and probably my biggest single influence in terms of writing. Would love to have his insight.

still drink to hunter.

oh in fear and loathing i love the bit where hes talking about the high water mark and stuff, poetry. Actually one of my friends showed me the other day that hunter is actually in the movie, hes in the matrix club during that flashback scene.

oh apparently theyre gonna make a movie of The Rum Diary, Johnny Depp is supposed to play the lead. Would love to see that

• Advertisement

oh apparently theyre gonna make a movie of The Rum Diary, Johnny Depp is supposed to play the lead. Would love to see that

this rumour has been going around for about 3 years now, as far as i know the film is coming out next year. this may or may not be accurate, but i think it was pushed back from this year after HST's passing.

Depp is down to play Paul kemp, and bruce robinson is directing or was anyway...

lordgoat wrote:
    this rumour has been going around for about 3 years now, as far as i know the film is coming out next year. this may or may not be accurate, but i think it was pushed back from this year after HST's passing.

Depp is down to play Paul kemp, and bruce robinson is directing or was anyway...

Yep, according to IMDB the film is in post-production and is due for release next year. Bruce Robinson (all hail Withnail & I) is indeed directing this one. Should be good.

that imbd site has ruined work for the rest of the day...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I've only read Fear and Loathing and while I thought it was good, it didn't have me rushing to read any of his other books.

I didnt think Fear and Loathing was his best at all, check out the recent Kingdom of Fear, The Rum Diary, Great White Shark Hunt or Hells Angels (Hells Angels isnt really gonzo, and he hadnt fully found his eh, "voice" but its well worth a read, pretty damn interesting)

to be honest i think its his political stuff that really made him stand out, he had unbelievable insight

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

IMHO what is great about Fear and Lothing in Los Vegas is the incredible zest and energy (drug-fueled, no doubt) that Dr Duke put into writing the book.

I like this book so much that I cant be objective about it at all. To my mind every scene is a classic. My favourite bit is where he takes too much adrenochrome (whatever that is). Anyone who's ever had too much of anything can relate. Even the bit where he pumps up the tyres of his car is hilarious.
    I found the movie quite disappointing - it seemed to me to be an overly literal retelling of the book without capturing its essential humour and vitality

FYI There's another old low-budget movie starring Bill Murray as Dr Duke called AFAICR "Where the buffalo roam" which, while not great either, is closer in spirit to the great man's writings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭Cured_Alright

HUNTER S. THOMPSON IS MY HERO. Fear and loathing is so good. And his quotes are ridiculously brilliant

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

"order some golf shoes... otherwise, we'll never get out of this place alive"

probably one of my favourite lines (so far).
    I'm half way through Fear and Loathing, to my shame. Had the book for so long, only reading it now. Would love to read Hells Angels and some of his other stuff, great and funny writer.

flogen - just wait till ya get to the bit about the highwater mark where the tide turned. pure poetry. My favourite part of the book (and movie)

See they blasted his ashes out of a cannon saturday night, the cannon was on top of a 153 foot tower in the shape of the gonzo fist and dagger. oh bit of trivia for ya, the thing in the middle of the gonzo fist is a peyote button. Dont know why there are two thumbs, but it looks pretty damn cool.

I hear Johnny Depp paid for the cannon. That was nice of him.

• Advertisement

thompsons widow said depp put up most of the cash for the shindig, cost 2 1/2 million or so the papers say, apparently they served mint juleps before the fireworks, no idea what they are, but he mentions em a lot!

ah you're more than welcome round mine for a mint julep and thursday (or mint julep day in our house) and bring some ladies

Advertisement