Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat attacked again,

Options
  • 05-08-2005 10:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭

My 3yr female cat has just returned home, in a lot of distress afther being attacked i presume, nothing is broken put she has alot of cuts on her front legs and face. this has happened twice before in the recent months, i am pretty sure its a wild cat is doing this to her, does anyone know why this is,
    and how can i go about stopping it, i am considering keeping my cat indoors fullytime, but she much preferres to be outside herself, and i think this is the more healthier way, i have a very large garden, is there any way of training her to stay within this or even and physical method of doing this,

P.s she will be off to Vet first thing in morning, for a check up..

Any help or suggestions greatly apprecaited. (excuse spelling)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Irish-Lass

I have 4 adult cats and all are house cats we also have a foster cat at the moment so that makes 5 cats in the house and 1 dog, and they certainly don't lack anything once they are given things to stimulate them

Would you consider cat proofing your garden to stop her leaving your garden that might be an option for you.

I chose an indoor life style for my cats and one of the reasons is what happened your cat....hope all goes well at the vet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 471 ✭✭tovalee

is your cat spayed or neutered? sometimes that will keep them from wandering. If you cant keep it in the house, its probably always going to fight. If you have a female thats not spayed, tomcats will always come looking for her, and if your cats a male, there will always be other boys looking to scrap for territory.

also kittens and young cats are especially at risk,un-neutered male cats will attack kittens because if a mother cat has kittens, she wont go into heat again until they're weaned. so he's thinking if he gets the babies out of the way, he has a better chance of sowing his wild oats.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭crazymonkey

she is nuetered, this wild cat comes into the garden and chases my cat around, i think the wild one is a female but not sure, it is alot bigger than mine, as for cat proffing the garden its over an area in size so that is impossible i think, maybe i will just keep her in the house from now on,

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Oh teh kitties :D, I have a tom cat hes about 14 yrs now and hes netured of course but still manages to get into the odd scrap or two usually at night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

Outdoor kitties *will* fight, no ifs or buts about it.

Normally they dont do each other much damage than cuts and loss of dignity for the loser. ;)

B

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

We had a case where a tomcat came round regularly and beat up our three neutered female cats. After inquiring all around the extended neighbourhood, no owner could be found.
    We managed to get a bit friendly with him, finally got to catch him and had him neutered. No beatings since ... :D

Furthermore, the annual supply of wild, half dead kittens found in our vicinity has dried up ...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Alun

If you have a female thats not spayed, tomcats will always come looking for her,
    ... and if she's spayed they still come looking, believe me :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭derek27

there is a thing you can get (usually for dogs) for keeping them in the garden. it consists of a collar which gives the animal a mild shock once they are outside ofa loop of cable which you lay down to define their perimeter...ie: around the garden if thats where you ant to keep the cat. i dont agree with them myself, but a friend of mine has used one for their dog and it worked very well. after a couple of weeks the animal ould get used to the areas that it can go without getting shocked and will confine itself to these areas. perimeter wire is big enough to enclose a relatively large garden and house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Keating

Hi,

I have a cat fence around my garden so my cats can't leave my garden. Another cat could get in if they really thought about it but none have so far!! Do a Google search for "cat fence" and you'll get ideas about the fences. You can do it yourself with some brackets and chicken wire!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

My cat and 2 dogs have been doing something strange lately I think its only when they are sick or something. They wander off up the garden and find a patch of earth and start licking that area, they sometimes eat grass too :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

I don't think keeping the cat outdoors has been too healthy for her so far :D (not meaning to be cheeky) it's well worth keeping the cat indoors and thinking about cat proof fencing or an aviary type enclosure that mabey leads from a window in the house so she can go in and out as she pleases but be safe. Another cat for company mabey as well depending how well she gets on with other cats.

If you have walls around your garden cat proofing it should be simple enough to do, I woudln't use any collars that shock or anything like that, that's just mean.

Have a ponder about it there are some really cool cat runs Ive seen in pics, and you can add things to them like safe plants and trees, toys, water feature etc or expand the run when you want to as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭derek27

Keating wrote:
    Hi,

I have a cat fence around my garden so my cats can't leave my garden. Another cat could get in if they really thought about it but none have so far!! Do a Google search for "cat fence" and you'll get ideas about the fences. You can do it yourself with some brackets and chicken wire!
    hello keating... welcome to boards.ie :)

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭crazymonkey

The cat is doing well, she is in a course of antibotics, and the vet took xrays to check if there was any breaks in her leg, thankfully there was none, He reckons going by her injuries that she got caught in a trap of some sort, and pulled her leg free,
    Anyway she is an "indoor kitty" from on and will have a life of liesure in front of the fire and tv from now on. Thank you all for your suggestions, the aviary type enclosure that Guineapigrescue suggested maybe a go'er i will look into building one of these, and maybe get her some company,

thanks again everyone,,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

Glad it all worked out.

I do wish people believed that kitties can live a much happier life indoors.
    AND more importantly, a much safer life.

We have 2 for years, both are indoor cats, trust me, they love it, and miss out on nothing.

b

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

My cat spends all of his time outdoors, he has the odd spat with neighbouring cats, but he usually comes out on top as he is quite large. Great mouser too, and has also killed rats/birds/ wild rabbits. Due to a lot of building going on around the area the rabbits were displaced. He doesn't seem to like life indoors as much as he likes it outdoors..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭NotMe

My cat often comes home with scratches and cuts. A few days ago he came home with a large (about the size of a euro) open wound on his head. It's normal for cats to fight with other cats and I don't think keeping your cats inside is the right solution IMO.

Cats can pass on feline infectious disease to other cats through a bite, some very serious I believe..a more cat savvy person might be able to give more details.

Cats can pass on feline infectious disease to other cats through a bite, some very serious I believe..a more cat savvy person might be able to give more details.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Dinxminx

I know this sounds a bit ridiculous (My cat IS a bit ridiculous), but my cat tried to get to a magpie nest once and all the magpies from the neighbourhood started attacking him. It was like something out of 'The Birds'! It was pretty funny to watch, coz he's black and white so he looked just like an overgrown magpie, scared to move in case all the magpies around him all attacked him at once! He got down eventually with a good few scratches-- nothing serious though, just surface wounds -- and it certainly taught him never to go after nests or birds again! Now he only watches from a safe distance!!!! I'm not saying that's what happened to yours-- yours probably isn't so silly! But it might happen...
    x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

There's a fair number of young foxes around at the moment, and they'll take on a cat no problem. People have begun feeding them in the cities since the wheelie bins came in.

If you want to keep the feral cat out of your garden, invest in a Super Soaker and give it a super soak every time you see it. If you're certain it's not a pet but a feral cat, you can usually borrow traps from the vet and put them out in the garden (covered in a black plastic bag and hidden in bushes, with food inside) and catch the cat and have it neutered, which usually puts a stop to their gallop, though not always.

• Advertisement
Advertisement