Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why did you choose DCU?

• 05-08-2005 4:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

I'm just after finishing college and decided to head back, but that made me wonder why other people chose DCU to begin with. Was it the course on offer, or was it more about the college itself?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

Combination of things for me. I live close, obviously an advantage. I went to open days in DCU, UCD and Trinity(never considered any other college) and DCU impressed me the most with their facilities. I also liked the atmosphere in DCU more. The clincher was a 3 day engineering workshop I did in DCU while in 6th year. I'm actually doing computers now but the workshop we did was on during freshers week and I loved the atmosphere around campus(anything would beat my school mind) and was really keen on going back after that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 939 ✭✭✭Zyox

I wanted to be in with a chance to be able to mod the Dublin City University on boards.ie.

Never happened though :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

I had the choice of doing Sports Science and Health in DCU, Sport and Exercise Science in UL, or a Sport and exercise physiology course in Carlow. But picked DCU over the other two as it's handier to get to and I'd be able to commute from home thus saving the monies (or so I thought).

To be perfectly honest I never researched the place very much and for the first two years I hated it. I've grown to like it there though.

Maybe it's a case of Stockholm syndrome, or something.

*shrug*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭drunkenfool

to be honest i never really reasearched the place either, screwed up my CAO. If i was to do it again probably would have done a media studies or communications type course, instead i put down mainly business type courses, because when i was doing my leaving i had no clue what i wanted to do and i thought that doing either the likes of commerce in ucd or business in dcu would be fairly broad till the final year. Big mistake, as now i hate business so I just dunno anymore.
    Have to say though walking around different colleges in dublin, dcu probably has the most laid back feel to it and not as much tension as in ucd or trinners with the D4 vs the boggers bull****, mainly id say because in dcu theres **** all people from dublin!! :mad: boo hoo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 194 ✭✭lizanne83

I have gone to so many open days, checked out almost all the colleges nationwide, but nothing beats DCU! However, the main and primary reason I chose to come to DCU is the BSc in Multimedia course which I'm doing. It's an excellent course and in high demand. The whole atmosphere and friendliness of DCU is amazing compared to the likes of Trinity or UCD and Limerick maze etc. It's a fairly new college, modern and up-to-date (Barr the Henry Gratten building of course) those of you already DCU goers will know what I mean.
    There are only 2 disadvantages I can think of: The sports complex arrangement (serving mainly for the public and profit interest, rather than students). Also I found that the number of students increase each year. Well they did last year and no doubt there'll be more again this year.
    They’re just my views. See you guys around in Sept!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Went to a guidance counselor in 6th year and with my parents egging they basically made up my mind then and there... Computer Applications in DCU

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Ishmael

went to Dcu for one reason and that was to get away from teh assholes i went to secondary school with. They went to UCD so i choose to go to DCU. Never researched the place or the course that much, turned out pretty well tho. One more year and i'll have me degree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭drunkenfool

Ishmael wrote:
    went to Dcu for one reason and that was to get away from teh assholes i went to secondary school with. They went to UCD so i choose to go to DCU. Never researched the place or the course that much, turned out pretty well tho. One more year and i'll have me degree.

same kinda buzz for me as you, not that they were assholes, i kinda knew that people would still be hanging around together from my old school in UCD, so i thought that i could meet new people easier in another college instead of hanging around lads that i already knew. Turns out though plan didnt work too well as i screwed up and didnt bother heading into college for most of 1st and 2nd year!! Im soooooo cool! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

Combination of low apptitude with the feck all points I got in the leaving, pure lazyness cos I live a twenty minute walk away and general apathy and no research...

Still hate the place...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Danger_Dave

Choice of my hospital. I wanted Beaumont as my link hospital and only dcu had that. Also they were opening a brand new nursing building. most advanced in Ireland so i was sold. That and DCU is only up the road, stupid 103 :mad: now i walk/cycle.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40 hyperali

i went to dcu when i was about twelve for ctyi and i really like it. i went to open days and loved the atmosphere in dcu far above trinity and ucd which seemed a bit cold to me. plus its the best place to do science which im doing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭Tyrrial

Reasons i wanted to go to DCU:
    1) the place seemed nice and people from secondry school weren't going there
    2) they would give me entry exceptions for being dyslexic.

Reasons i stayed in DCU:
    1) the people seemed nice and they were friendly
    2) the ultimate frisbee club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

It had the best / most highly recommended computer course in the country, plain and simple. A few of my cousins and family friends had also come here and had loved it and most importantly walked into jobs upon leaving.

I remember asking some people in secondary school what they wanted to do in college and I couldnt believe it when alot of them went "Duno, I just want to go to Galway" ...talk about a stupid reason to pick a college and course... :rolleyes:

I actually missed the open day for DCU but I came up one weekend and had abit of a walk around and really liked the look of the place. Havnt regretted it for one day since though, love the college and love the course! :)

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Messed up my Leaving Cert, twice.

I wanted to do English & Philosophy in Trinity, now I'm a C.Apper. Oh how terribly appropriate...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭Dr. Bill

Really!!! :-(

Dr. Bill wrote:
    Really!!! :-(
    Dubba-ewe Tea Eff?

Pardon??

Amz wrote:
    Dubba-ewe Tea Eff?
    !!!!

Amz,

Was ist das??? I love DCU students!
    Amz wrote:
    Dubba-ewe Tea Eff?

I give up.

• Advertisement

Your obviously back repeating exams then!!!! Your brain must be sizzling!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

Reasons Why!:
    1) Nice campus
    2) Good facilities
    3) Nice people in the main!

Reasons why not!:
    1) Live in Terenure! 1.5 hours to college and back
    2) College "spirit" for want of a better word isnt as good as other colleges
    3) 4 repeats!

Im happy with my decision though as long as i pass the repeats :lol:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

I chose DCU as i got it on the CAO, no other reason. My research for it was very impressive. I lived on Collins Avenue all my life and didn't know DCU was on it until my father drove me around in early September. I felt that was a rather impressive display of ignorance on my part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭elekid

I chose DCU because CA seemed like the most interesting computer course out of all the colleges I looked at in Dublin and I had no idea what else I wanted to do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Polly19

I choose DCU cause of the access programme.I had to go to the college for an interview and also found everyone so helpful exspecially the access staff

I actually remember chosing DCU because of all the willing women out there up for one night stands. A friend who was going there at the time told me. That pretty much clinched it.

I also wanted to do Computer Applications.
    But the loose "sperm-whales" was a slight contributing factor.

That happen for anyone else?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Zyox wrote:
    I actually remember chosing DCU because of all the willing women out there up for one night stands. A friend who was going there at the time told me. That pretty much clinched it.

I also wanted to do Computer Applications.
    But the loose "sperm-whales" was a slight contributing factor.

That happen for anyone else?
    Yea I had that same dream too... :rolleyes:

Oh no it's true. It's just they turned out all to be horrible ugly.

Advertisement