Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

West Highland Terrier

Options
  • 04-08-2005 5:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭

I have a westie who is approaching 9 years of age, and every so often he gets red paws. Its like his paws swell up and he is constantly licking them, we feed him pedigree and some scraps from the table. People say this is from harvest mites, but i have doubts as it happens all year round. Any advice ? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Westies can suffer from all sorts of skin allergies mabey the vet can offer some sort of skin test to find out exactly what is irritating him.

Could be mites..the weather has been so off the wall in the past year that they can appear any time.

Mabey changing his diet to Royal Canine or Burns, I think RC do one for pretty much every type of dog including ones with allergies..vet could tell you more. I used to feed mine Pedigree for a long time but it really affected their health..and teeth, they're now on Burns which is great..no more stinky passings of air.

Poor little guy mabey a trip to the vets would be best sounds very irritating for the little fella

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Arcadian

Have you taken him to the vet to be checked over ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

Altho I have my own negative opinions of Royal Canine and also, to a lesser extent Burns,.. diet is an important consideration.
    Also consider if he / she is constantly licking at them, it may be the case that what was an initial small allergy wasnt allowed time to heal. Happens a LOT with small dogs.

b

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭ExoduS 18.11

I took him to the vet over the same problem, and he said it could be the normal scraps we feed him. We cut down on this and now its back so its more than likely mites. Hes due for a check-up so i'll question my vet about general foods to give him. I have heard the dryer food is more natural and healthy for dogs? The problem i have here is that it isnt sloppy and smelling like crap he wont eat it! Stuborn bugger ;P. Thanks for the help

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Had the same problem with my mothers dog she wouldn't eat any dry food, but after a week of staying with me she was eating it no bother, if they are hungry enough they will eat it, it can be tough because they do enjoy the soft food but it isn't good for their teeth, mabey if you try mixing soft and dry together at first just to have a touch or wet food on the dry.

• Advertisement
Advertisement