Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hoax Phone Advert Offends

Options
  • 04-08-2005 4:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55,470 ✭✭✭✭

Mobile Phone manufacturers, Nokia, have disassociated themselves from two 'joke' adverts currently circulating via email around offices and factories around the country.

The 'advert', which features a photograph of a hunting style knife whose handle is a nokia phone, states "Handy if anyone wants to rob your phone... limited stocks, only available in Limerick".

The photograph of the morphed phone/knife is set against an image of King Johns Castle and the Shannon. An attached slogan adds; "Nokia - protecting people".
    Transcribed from the front page of todays Limerick Post. FRONT PAGE? Is it a slow news week for Limerick or what?

Are people getting overly sensitive about the whole stab city thing?

The picture is pretty amusing, but hardly front page material.... I had a look for it online, but couldn't find it. Its on page 4 of the Limerick Post if anyone wants to see it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,810 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Did a search for the picture on Google... it's on the forum at IrelandDrumAndBass.com but the site is currently not up!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Zapho

You'd swear people would realise that it was a made up image, and wasn't intended to be an add for nokia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Here's the gun anyway:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 phonemonkey

mannnn I gotta get me one of those. Do you recon O2 would do it on a speakeasy plan

• Registered Users Posts: 55,470 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Wow, that image is really well done (better than the knife one, anyway...)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭moshpit77

Yeah the knife one was crap. I'd prefer if the Limerick Post had done the article in a more humorous way, it's what that story needed, not Claire Connolly Doyles matter-of-fact way.

Elsewhere though in the Post the Limerick Leader gets a very well deserved slap on the chin by the mayor over their coverage of his 'defaced book of condolence' story during the eweek. Talk about the Leader making a storm out of a teacup...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

im sorry but the picture of the gun-phone gave me a giggle.

protecting people haha :)

The limerick post need to lighten up a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,158 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Agree Billy,

Obviously the person who creates these has plenty of time on their hands to master photshop and hoped that it would ruffel a few feathers. Looks like the Post took the bate.

Seen the gun before, I must say I had to laugh at it. No point in getting bitter or upset about these silly things, its old news.

These type of morphed images are sitting in somebody e-mail inbox for ages so they recirculate them again to get a reaction.

Next! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 55,470 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Any photoshop experts want to try their hand at getting onto next weeks LP? (Theres a challenge!!) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭IceHawk

The funniest thing was that the post implied it had contacted Nokia asking if the phones were real.
    This morning first thing at work I got an email of the knife one scanned straight out of the Limerick post. You could still see bits of the article in the picture. Good job stopping the spread of this sort of thing in Limerick. ;)

• Advertisement

i dont trust a paper that cannot spell LOTTO
    http://www.limerickpost.ie/dailynews.elive?id=6559&category=Daily-Wed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 your my lady

I Know the person who designed that advert-it was done in less than two minutes and was as a reaction to the gun image. It was sent araond the office and low and behold it ends up on the front of the paper!! Imagine the shock they got! I thought it was quiet funny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭Rubberbandits

In that article they accused us of making a fake radio advert "promoting" LImerick city. Well we didnt do it. I heard the advert and it was terrible, completely bereft of any humour, I would injure myself if I created such tripe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 jammin

I know the radio ad your on about... its the one where they talk about piebald ponies, the regional hospital and drive by shootings. It's nowhere near as funny as yeer schtuff although yer mans 'shirley templebar' accent is funny enough. Glad to see they accused ye of it, (i must have a read of that!) now ye have every good reason to prank the b***s off the limerick post. I had yeer first cd ages ago and it got robbed (of course). Gonna drop by yer webpage later to hassle ye til I get somewhere to download that s*** again. Its so funny I cant take it.. and i'm a right pranker altogether. L8r on boys

In that article they accused us of making a fake radio advert "promoting" LImerick city. Well we didnt do it. I heard the advert and it was terrible, completely bereft of any humour, I would injure myself if I created such tripe.

one of the dublin breakfast shows is supposed to have made that advertisement, 98fm if i remember rightly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 jammin

Are you by any chance subtley referring the next RubberBandit call to this station ;) hehehe
    >hello is that 98fm
    >yes, good morning
    >I'm ringin' here from the Limerick Post, Jaqueline Mac Closkeys the name...
    :)

Advertisement