Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Training for marathon :o

Options
  • 04-08-2005 3:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭

I've been thinking about it alot lately,and was thinking,how long would it take for an above average person (able to run several miles at a decent pace) to be able to run the whole 26.2? Im assuming 2-3 years? Was hoping to run one by the time I'm 18 as I'm just turning 16 now.. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭epo addict

Your still gonna be way to young in 2-3 years to do a marathon..Stick to 5k's-5milers as training for a 26.2miles race could seriously do damage to your body..Look up a few mags of previous marathons and you will see pics of athletes taking part..trust me there wont be many 18 year olds in them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭mcguiver

6 months will take you from no running to marathon comfortably.
    I did my first one starting with a 3 mile jog, then over a few weeks started 7 mile runs, once per week.
    The gradually up to 10, 14 mile runs. Just one per week did me, then near the marathon ?(about 6 weeks) I did 20 miles to see how I felt. Final month early nights, lots of water, proper diet. 3hrs 40 minutes felt easy, bit stiff for a day or two afterwards.

Running my third one this year, all I'm doing is 10 mile runs once a week, nice pace 1 hour 30 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

I agree with epo addict, 18 is too young to run a marathon...let your limbs grow first! I did my first one at 26 and at 28 I am doing my third one in October (Dublin). Anyway, 6 months is a decent time frame for preparation if you are a first timer who has done some running up to now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭StephenInsane

i'm 18, and i bet i could run a marathon.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Perhaps, but that wouldn't make it a very good idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

i'm 18, and i bet i could run a marathon.

I'm 16 and I could do one, but it would **** me up for a good while

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭StephenInsane

OK. Lets forget about running marathons.

I think running in general is very good. It's a great hobby that could keep a youngster like DAEDULUS away from the dangers of alcohal and drugs, at an age where one is liable to go off the tracks.

Running a marathon at 16 would indeed be counter-productive. The dehydration would be unhealty. And even if you spent 2 years training and became a good marathon runner, you probably still wouldn't do that great because of the physical advantages the others would have over you.

That doesn't mean you shouldn't develope yourself to run 10+ miles comfortably. There are plenty of events at these distances for people your age, which you could compete it and enjoy, aswell it would give you a chance to meet new people and make new friends.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Whilst I'm not saying that you should be running a marathon under 18, I had actually completed 3 by the time I was 18, doing the first at the age of 11.

The majority of the 'competitors' in the marathon that I did though were actually school children who were being sponsored and were pretty much forced to walk most of the distance and there were quite a number of parents and teachers doing the course as well. It was actually almost impossible to run the entire course anyway as it was along the sea defence bank between Boston and Skegness in Licolnshire, so involved areas of very long grass and mud and I seem to remember having to climb over a fence one year as well, but that could have been another race.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Riggser

Which Dublin club is the best to go to if you want to train for a marathon?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Dundrum is supposed to be a pretty good club but tbh your best off speaking to a few different clubs that are in your area and see which is likely to suit your requirements. Some will be more competitive then others, some a more social aspect and others will have different aspects going for them that will appeal to you.

Ask if you can have one or two sessions with them for free before commiting yourself.

• Advertisement

p.pete wrote:
    Dundrum is supposed to be a pretty good club but tbh your best off speaking to a few different clubs that are in your area and see which is likely to suit your requirements. Some will be more competitive then others, some a more social aspect and others will have different aspects going for them that will appeal to you.

Ask if you can have one or two sessions with them for free before commiting yourself.

Any club should let you train with them

@Riggser, what age are you? Some clubs don't have a Marathon training group as such, but a coach will be able to point you in the way of one

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Squirrel wrote:
    Any club should let you train with them
    Sorry, will just clarify myself :)
    My local club charges a nominal amount of about 50p per track session plus you're meant to join the club to take part in the track sessions, which again is nominal at about 8 quid.

Before joining / paying membership though they allow a few track sessions free gratus - which is cool if you want to go to 2 or 3 different clubs before deciding the shoe that fits.

p.pete wrote:
    Sorry, will just clarify myself :)
    My local club charges a nominal amount of about 50p per track session plus you're meant to join the club to take part in the track sessions, which again is nominal at about 8 quid.

Before joining / paying membership though they allow a few track sessions free gratus - which is cool if you want to go to 2 or 3 different clubs before deciding the shoe that fits.

That's usually entrance for the track, most clubs will give you a 3/4 sessions before asking you to join

Advertisement