Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Watching German TV in Ireland?

Options
  • 04-08-2005 12:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭

Hey all,

Just wondering how I would go about watching German TV Channels in Ireland? Could I get them on Sky Digital or maybe a satilite dish? I remember my German Lecturersaying to buy a dish at Aldi for 39.99 that recieved German TV channels but that was a year & a half ago.

Any ideas or advice appreiated!

Regards

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

There's a German station on Sky Digital on Channel 834. It's Deutsche Welle world or something. I only know it cause it's next to TVEi, the Spanish station, which I watch occasionally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Hey all,

Just wondering how I would go about watching German TV Channels in Ireland? Could I get them on Sky Digital or maybe a satilite dish? I remember my German Lecturersaying to buy a dish at Aldi for 39.99 that recieved German TV channels but that was a year & a half ago.

Regards

You can get an analogue Astra dish on ebay.de for fairly cheap, seen the dish and decoder for about 50. I had one myself and it worked fine. Main problem is getting someone to fit it up for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

Hey all,

Regards
    German language channels on Sky Digital are extremely limited. The only ones are Deutsche Welle TV, Euronews and The Wine Channel. You'll need to access channels from another satellite such as 19.2E. Here is a list of channels available on that frequency. Many are from German-speaking countries and are free to air. Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,327 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Your best selection will come with a free to air digital satellite receiver and an 80cm dish pointed at astra 1 satellite. This will get you pretty much verything except premiere which can also be obtained by choosing a pay tv satellite decoder.

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭IsMiseJoe

Found this thread via google.
    Will buying an Astra dish still work?
    I want to pick up Sky Deutschland for the Bundesliga 1 & 2 coverage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭tmull

Sky Duetsland is on the Astra sat at 19E and is a very hard package to de-crypt.You may be able to subscribe to this package but I believe it is difficult as like Sly Uk it is broadcast for Germany only. However,a dish,recommend an 80cm one, pointed at this sat will pick up loads of free-to-air German channels.I have a motorised dish and can receive most sats from 42E to 30W.A lot of channels are multi-lingual but unfortunatly most German ones are not. Hope this helps.TMULL

• Registered Users Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

EDIT: answered the zombie question from 2005, so rewriting everything!

but what is relevant is that free to air you can get the german version of match of the day on ARD every saturday.
    And on sport 1 theres normally a division 2 game on a monday night for free and lots of debate and highlights of divison 1 games on a Sunday morning.

the free to air stuff can be decoded with a cheap aldi setup
    How you would get sky germany in Ireland I wouldnt know.
    I have it but I AM in germany!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 wazzi

To answer the Subject of the threat: Yes, it is possible to get German TV in Ireland. The other problem has been discussed here: Getting Sky Sport Germany is a bit of a problem. What you need is a German address and a German (maybe Austrian) subscription to a German street address. In other words you need someone in Germany (colleague, co-student, grandma) subscribing for you and sending the viewing card to ireland.
    (I know people from UK doing it just the other way around)
    There is also the "Sportschau" on ARD (Das Erste) channel on Saturdays with the Bundesliga reports. Something like BBC MOTD.
    If you are only interested in general German entertainment (German language of course) you can get a list of free channels here: http://www.bb24.biz/television/satellite-tv
    But what you would need is a seperate dish (or a special double-sat installation) to get the signal. An 80 cm dish should be OK. The only sad thing is that the UK EPG and continental EPG standards are different. So you will only have now/next info of German tv on your Sky box.

Advertisement