Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New komplett build - no life

Options
  • 04-08-2005 10:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭

* MSI K8M NEO-V, K8M800, Socket-754, ATX,S-ATA/ATA, DDR, LAN, Sound, AGP8x, VGA
    *Amd Athalon 64 -will update with model
    * In-Win S508 Midi Tower ATX BlackCase w/350W PSU
    * TwinMOS PC3200 DDR-DIMM 512MB CL2.5Memory184-P (for DDR-PC400MHz)

Bought this on komplett
    Put it together last night
    Not a peep when i power on.
    Have checked...

Power chord.
    Power supply - have used alternate
    All MB connections.
    Front switch - Have used other switch
    Stripped MB down -powered on out of case with no peripherals

No fans / beeps
    Just a very slight noise of the power supply.

Sounds like a dodgy Mb

Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭kasintahan

Remove all exterraneous equipment. Just leave the motherboard, psu, chip and ram plugged in.

You got the extra 4 pin's from the PSU plugged in? (ie check motherboard for extra power sockets that you haven't attached).

Short the power on pins manually (with a screwdriver) to make sure it's not the switch.

Reseat the CPU and RAM (is it in the correct slot?).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

I have tried all the above -
    The extra power chord is in.
    I have eliminated the switch by using a spare one i have.

There is an adapter for the power supply to reduce the number of pins
    It could be this possibly

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

I'd say that your mobo is shazbat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

I'd say that your mobo is shazbat.

I wouldnt be jumping to that conclusion so quickly, id say its far more lightly you just have the "power on" connector put on the wrong pins.

Check your manual again, you might be looking at it upside down (ive done this, some manuals arent all that clear)... or try turning the little connector around (ie so the writing is now facing the other way).

Leave all the other connectors in that area alone, just plug in the power switch.... there should be 4 variations of ways to try if its unclear.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

the oriantation of the pwr switch doesnt matter as it just a short.

Crappy PSU?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

The PSU isint great but its not a very power hungry system, onboard graphics etc....

There should be some responce from the system.

May be the psu alright - but as in teh original post i played around with the power switch - it's definately not that. ill have to get another psu.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

sounds like a psu problem alright? what type of noise is the psu making? (you said in your 1st post the psu makes a noise)

gline wrote:
    sounds like a psu problem alright? what type of noise is the psu making? (you said in your 1st post the psu makes a noise)

Very slight wheez but only for a second - like the sound a tv makes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭T-Bird

Try unplugging drives and all connections, just psu to board. might be that a pin is in wrong place thus psu is not working.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,220 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

gline wrote:
    sounds like a psu problem alright?

I'd rule that out based on:
    egan007 wrote:
    Power supply - have used alternate

Anyway just to post into BIOS, just about any PSU will do. Nothing decent or fancy required
    egan007 wrote:
    TwinMOS PC3200 DDR-DIMM 512MB CL2.5Memory184-P (for DDR-PC400MHz)

Would you be able to run memtest86 on this RAM in another rig? I've had bad RAM prevent me from even posting into BIOS before. Just to rule it out

OK, first the obvious. Are you 100% sure you seated the cpu correctly and have you applied thermal paste? Have you seated the RAM correctly? Try just 1 stick to start. You have only 2 RAM slots so try both. Remove anything bar PSU, RAM, CPU+HSF, powerbutton from your mobo (nothing else, not even a HDD). As stated, are you 100% sure the powerbutton connector is correctly connected to the mobo? Reseat the PSU connector on the mobo. Make damn sure the CPU HSF is connected to the mobo

Clear CMOS (find the instructions in your manual). The JBAT1 jumper is at the very bottom right of your mobo if you hold the mobo with the cpu in the middle and the RAM slots at the top right

Make sure the additional ATX 4 pin 12V square connector from your PSU is connected to the JPW1 connector on the mobo. This is required for the CPU. If I were a turf accountant, I wouldn't take any odds on this one :)You'll find this connector on your very top left of the mobo (holding it as suggested above)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

gline wrote:

If the PSU makes a "moooo" sound then it's fecked.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,943 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

have u tried it oustide the case, could well be shorting

• Registered Users Posts: 19,943 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

sorry u have, in most cases its not a broken kobo just something else, have a spare psu

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

egan007 wrote:

It's a short when you're mounting it on the mobo tray.
    If you've got a removable mobo tray, take it out of the case and try mounting the mobo on it, taking care not to short anything on the tray.
    Examin the underside of the mobo, particularlly the isolating rings around the mounting holes, see if any are torn or damaged.
    Failing that, get a bit of plastic or a sheet of contact paper and stick it to the mobo tray without the stand-offs in (you are using stand-offs aren't you?) and then screw the stand-offs into their holes, piercing through the plastic sheet.
    The stand-offs shouldn't short off anything unless the mounting holes on the mobo itself are damaged and are shorting the board.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭timeout

[QUOTE=egan007
    [/QUOTE]
    I'd go with SyxPak on the short. It powers but does it post out of the case? You may need to update bios to make it work with the chip also, happened to me. removing the ram should give you beeps if not then something wrong.

Advertisement