Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Joe Calzaghe... your opinion on his career?

Options
  • 03-08-2005 7:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭

My mother always thought me if you have nothing good to say about someone, you shouldn't say anything, so with that I will end this post.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭Geiger

He grew too attached to the WBO belt and it's cost him some big fights over the years. He's now the longest reigning champ out of the current bunch but that's not saying much. He can't afford to price himself out of fights or be picky about locations if he wants to secure a real place in boxing history. I think he's got talent...but we'll probably not see too much of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Harry2001

Geiger wrote:
    He grew too attached to the WBO belt and it's cost him some big fights over the years. He's now the longest reigning champ out of the current bunch but that's not saying much. He can't afford to price himself out of fights or be picky about locations if he wants to secure a real place in boxing history. I think he's got talent...but we'll probably not see too much of it.

Agree with all that, very talented but underused, always get the feeling he’s not hungry enough too

• Registered Users Posts: 54,584 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I feel he's a fighter who will end up with nobody really remembering him due to his lack of duels in the ring. Who of real real class has he beat. He has 'eeked' his way thru the division with no real excitement. I'm not saying he's a bad fighter. He is very good and has to have been due to his longevity as the champ, it's just that he has not excited on his journey...basically nobody cares whether he fights or not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭akindoc

walshb wrote:
    I feel he's a fighter who will end up with nobody really remembering him due to his lack of duels in the ring. Who of real real class has he beat. He has 'eeked' his way thru the division with no real excitement. I'm not saying he's a bad fighter. He is very good and has to have been due to his longevity as the champ, it's just that he has not excited on his journey...basically nobody cares whether he fights or not

Pretty much sums it up.

he also talks so much ****e. "Hopkins is a fraud, I'd KO roy jones" etc.

He's a pratt. I would like to see him get brutally knocked out by Lacy.

If they fought I don't think Lacy would knock Joe out. Not right now anyway. Personality wise Joe can be frustrating at times, it all comes back to that damn WBO belt. Get rid of it Joe!

• Advertisement

Geiger wrote:
    If they fought I don't think Lacy would knock Joe out. Not right now anyway. Personality wise Joe can be frustrating at times, it all comes back to that damn WBO belt. Get rid of it Joe!

We don't know how good Calzaghe is because he's never fought anybody. Eubank was faded and weight-drained. Mitchell is probably the best name on his record and that was a fight that Mitchell threw away going for the KO. Personally I think Lacy would have a good chance against Calzaghe, going by the Veit and Salem performances.

akindoc wrote:
    We don't know how good Calzaghe is because he's never fought anybody. Eubank was faded and weight-drained. Mitchell is probably the best name on his record and that was a fight that Mitchell threw away going for the KO. Personally I think Lacy would have a good chance against Calzaghe, going by the Veit and Salem performances.

He may have the ability to beat Joe, but as I say, I don't think he'd knock him out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

He looked good at first but really turned out rather ordinary.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,967 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Unused talent , but he still has the time to turn it around . Beat whoever the hell he's facing in September and then Lacy by the end of the year and I would be quite impressed .

Big Ears wrote:
    Unused talent , but he still has the time to turn it around . Beat whoever the hell he's facing in September and then Lacy by the end of the year and I would be quite impressed .

Impressed?

Lacy is no "defining" fight. Lacy isn't really even that good. Calzaghe has failed to fight any of the top fighters, instead opting for the Tocker Pudwills and Mario Veits. He was dropped and hurt by Kabary Salem. He will always go down as a guy who didn't have the desire to fight the best. Perhaps he knows that he would not have the ability to beat the top guys.

• Advertisement

I would consider Lacy one of the top Super Middleweights world wide and he holds the IBF (and IBO) title , he would be a step up in class from what Joe has faught in a long time and by Calzaghe's standards I would be impressed .

Not to mention fighting twice in 3 months is admiarable , even if one fighter will be a nobody .

Big Ears wrote:
    I would consider Lacy one of the top Super Middleweights world wide and he holds the IBF (and IBO) title , he would be a step up in class from what Joe has faught in a long time and by Calzaghe's standards I would be impressed .

Not to mention fighting twice in 3 months is admiarable , even if one fighter will be a nobody .

For the past few years we have been told that Calzaghe would destroy Hopkins and Roy Jones at a canter. When has he ever proved himself in that class? And if he was to beat Lacy, his fans would be using that as proof of his claims. I would be impressed, but it still dosnt make up for the years of fighting bums and ducking top fighers.

Personally I dont think he can beat Lacy. For one, Lacy doesn't give up much of his chin and he is usually there to counter. Reid has still got an excellent chin, and although he wasn't HURT HURT he stilll went down because he couldnt take the barrage of punches. Calzaghe would get a punch bounced off his chin and I think Lacy would take him out. It would be a quick fight either way though. I think the best way to beat Lacy is to box him, not fight him like Calzaghe will.

akindoc wrote:
    but it still dosnt make up for the years of fighting bums and ducking top fighers.

I never said it would , im just as pissed off with his antics as anyone else .

Advertisement