Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elephant and Castle

Options
  • 03-08-2005 2:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭

I got in there for the first time ever this weekend!! I had the Spicy wings that everyone is always raving on about and I loved them. :D However my husband who was with me thought they were about the worst thing he ever tasted. :( I even loved the celery and the little jar of cheesy dressing thingy!! Thanks to anyone and everyone who ever recommended these. It was worth moving up from Cork to Greystones just for these alone.
    MPA
    Post edited by Gloomtastic! on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭Dellgirl

They def do the best wings in dublin without a doubt. The rest of the food is always good too. You get the same thing every time with out exception and i really like that. Theres no hit or miss attitude. I see the chefs throught the window while Im qing and they seem to be pressurised all the time. Id say its really stressful working in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Apparently the recipe for the chicken wings is a closely guarded secret. But if you have or can pick up the first Ray Darcy Fix It Friday book (the one with the yellow cover), there is a recipe in it that they say is very close to those in Elephant & Castle.

The closely gaurded secret is that it comes out of a bottle. Honest! Its imported from America.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭tammy

I did a spell in the E&C (it was pretty stressful). The sauce coming out of a jar is partially true, there were a few other twists which I don't know as I didn't ever get to make it. Tribeca in ranelagh, the canal bank cafe on leeson st and a few other spots have the recipe also. :)

The sauce coming out of a jar is partially true,
    it comes out of a jar and then they add butter and vinegar(?) to it afaik.
    Who cares....its sssoooooo tasty!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

At the risk of being shouted at here, it's the most overrated restaurant in the city. The wings are nice, but not great. And the fact that they're so popular covers the fact that the rest of the food is mediocre.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

Their ribs are legendary also!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Went in there once a while back with a friend for dinner and the food I got was disgusting.. the menu said grilled chicken with lime and thats literlly all I got.. a piece of over cooked chicken with some lime drizzled over it on a bed of plain noodles.. it was the worst thing iv ever eaten in a restaurant.. and it was pricey enough too, wont be going back there in a hurry.. also my friend has special diet requirements and she wanted a chicken dish from the menu but served with the sauce from a differend dish from the menu, which I thought would have been a simple enough request and they refused... I have no idea why but the waitress was adament that it couldnt be done... the only explanation I could come up with was that the dishes were all pre-cooked or frozen or something... I dont know about the chicken wings, maybe they're nice but I wont be finding out..

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭bigmouth

The closely gaurded secret is that it comes out of a bottle. Honest! Its imported from America.
    I'd well believe it, I had the wings there before, was not impressed, thought they were smelly. Got wings in a bar in Maynooth that tasted the exact same a month or so later.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Hot wings are easy, fry wings in butter till golden, set aside.
    Melt a knob of butter and add hotsauce in what ever quantity you can stand then add a dash of vinegar.
    Toss wings in mix and serve with sourcream/celery

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

where exactly is this place?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

orla wrote:
    where exactly is this place?
    In Temple Bar... just to the right of the main square as if you were going Northside via the Ha'penny bridge.
    Famous for its chicken wings...
    Nothing amazing in my opinion.... gets plenty of hype though. Saw Colin "f*cking" Farrell in there once...

Thanks for the directions. I must try this place out

orla wrote:
    Thanks for the directions. I must try this place out
    Nae prob :)
    there are better places though for a nice feed.
    Worth the try all the same... just avoid the hype surrounding it.
    Some people just go nuts about it because its an "it" place to be seen eating :p

Where else would you suggest?
    I've been to lugi malones and my meal was nice but i didnt like the chicken wings at all!

I went to little ceasers (is that what its called?) And was not impressed at all.

orla wrote:
    Where else would you suggest?
    I've been to lugi malones and my meal was nice but i didnt like the chicken wings at all!

I went to little ceasers (is that what its called?) And was not impressed at all.

depends on the food / occasion I guess. Theres just so many places in Dublin at the moment.
    Tribeca in Ranelagh do lovely chicken wings, and the meals are pretty good. Was a big favourite of mine for ages... but I havent been in ages. Must have overdosed...
    For pizzas, try Millers Pizza on Upper Baggot Street (just to the left of Searsons pub) - pretty funky pizzas goin on there :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Gwinn

The Monkstown branch of Elephant and Castle seems to have closed down suddenly over the last few weeks, lettering removed from front of premises and not listed among locations on their website anymore, anyone know what happened?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,374 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Zombie Thread Closed. 18 years is a long time in the hospitality business.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement