Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with a piece

Options
  • 03-08-2005 12:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

Hey guys, just wandering if anybody could tell me what the piece is that Rachmaninov wrote tht apparently drove people crackers trying to learn the finger combinations to it. I think it was featured in a film but i don't know which one

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

You mean the "Rach 3" - Rachmaninov's 3 piano concerto.

Yeah, eh, good luck with that...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

lol. Ye, i hope your not planning on learning it. Great piece though. It's in the film "Shine". The piece drives him insane. Set a few years of your life aside to master that one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 goz

Thanks guys. just wanna transcribe it to different instruments to see if the difficulty is still there

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

I know a guy who's been trying to play it since he was 15, and he was a child piano prodigy! He's pretty close, but it's still impossibly diffucult. You need huge hands, an amazing short term memory, and you need to know the piece inside out before you could play. And as with nearly all Rach's stuff, most of the tension is in the added notes so you really can't simplify it down the way you could a Mozart or Haydn piece.

edit: link to an mp3 : Rach 3, 1st mov.

it's a free mp3; ok to link to.

Advertisement