Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV Channels Putting News In The Middle Of Movies

Options
  • 01-08-2005 9:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭

why the hell do channels interrupt films for a news bulletin. watching Tomb Raider tonight and an ad break came on. then some woman announces the film will be back after the evening news. i would have thought they could have at least advertised there would be news in the middle of it, then i could have not bothered wasting my time tuning in. a bit of warning would have been nice. RTÉ lost a viewer tonight

RTÉ Two do this alot also, as does BBC and ITV

anyone else pissed off with tv channels doing this?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

This is why I no longer watch ANY tv, It pisses me off far too much.

With the exception of TV in work its been awhile since I've seen more then 2-3 adverts :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Suprisingly, having the news on at the same time every night is more inportant then you watching a ****e film. A hell of a lot more people would get annoyed if the news was moved = FACT

Read the complaint logs from various broadcasters. People moan when things are moved.

Also, they do advertise it, every try read a TV guide, Teletext. And the BBC don't do it.

John

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Might it not be a idea to shows movies so they end when the news is due to air, or air the movie on a channel that does not have news at that time (eg: RTE2)
    Just a thought :)

Nothing wrong with news but its annoying to have a 15-30min break in the middle of a movie, don't you think it would ruin a movie in the cinema if they did it? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Cabaal wrote:
    Might it not be a idea to shows movies so they end when the news is due to air, or air the movie on a channel that does not have news at that time (eg: RTE2)
    Just a thought :)

Nothing wrong with news but its annoying to have a 15-30min break in the middle of a movie, don't you think it would ruin a movie in the cinema if they did it? ;)
    If they moved the channel, they would then have to slot the movie into that channels prime time, and chances are that it would still interfere with the scheduled news broadcast.

For example, had Tomb Raider been shown on 2 tonight, it probably wouldn't have started until either 9 or half past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

They should move the news, hell for about two years TV3's last bulliten didnt have a fixed position, just a roundabout time!!!!!

Big Brother this year has different start times and lenghts... more people watch that then the news and people dont get pissed off!

People get into a movie... thats the problem!

News can be viewed at any time, theres plenty of 24hour news services on ditital TV, and even cable has sky news!!! If you only have RTÉ, TV3 and TG4 then you can still use teletext!
    As well as that Irish news all happens around the same time... main bullitens are:

5.30 TV3
    6.00 RTÉ 1
    6.30 TV3
    7.00 TG4 and Sky News Ireland

then

9.00 RTÉ 1
    10.00 Sky News Ireland
    10.50 RTÉ 2
    11.00 TV3

There are also a burst of news bullitens in the mourning, but as you see if you miss one, just catch the next bit of irish news!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

They should move the news, hell for about two years TV3's last bulliten didnt have a fixed position, just a roundabout time!!!!!
    And as a result, I never watch it. Hell, I just avoid TV3 News anyway.
    Big Brother this year has different start times and lenghts... more people watch that then the news and people dont get pissed off!

Big Brother is watched by a very different audience than the Nine O'Clock News.
    News can be viewed at any time, theres plenty of 24hour news services on ditital TV, and even cable has sky news!!! If you only have RTÉ, TV3 and TG4 then you can still use teletext!

Again, different audiences. Believe it or not there are still a lot of people out there that do not have, do not want, nor have any need for any of these things. My grandmother watched the news, but shouldn't have to resort to having to get something that she has no other use for just to watch it.
    As well as that Irish news all happens around the same time... main bullitens are:

5.30 TV3
    6.00 RTÉ 1
    6.30 TV3
    7.00 TG4 and Sky News Ireland

then

9.00 RTÉ 1
    10.00 Sky News Ireland
    10.50 RTÉ 2
    11.00 TV3

There are also a burst of news bullitens in the mourning, but as you see if you miss one, just catch the next bit of irish news!

Gun. Foot. Bang. First you tell us that the news should be moved from its regular slots so that the movie can be shown, then you list the times we can watch the news at? Eh...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Lump wrote:
    Suprisingly, having the news on at the same time every night is more inportant then you watching a ****e film

Also, they do advertise it, every try read a TV guide, Teletext. And the BBC don't do it.

so move the film, they did it before. its only recent years that they have started doing this in Ireland. the break happened at around 9.30 so that throws the "news on at the same time every night" arguement out the window. couldnt RTE have shown the news half an hour earlier rather than half an hour late?

as for reading the TV Guide. i use the Sky EPG and there was no mention of a news broadcast on that. and sorry for mentioning your precious BBC but they have done it in the past

I'm not saying they shouldnt have regualar slots, what i'm saying is that a channel shouldnt split a movie up with news, just move a bulliten along.
    The need only occurs about twice a week, i listed the times to show that if a news slot was moved because of a movie, you could just watch other irish news... because its all in blocks!

I wouldnt say that the people intrested in Big Brother and that of whom are intrested in the news aren't incredibly different! BB is a show to see how people react, you can see how the human brain works. The news informs you of whats going on ... these arent looking for different markets, both looking for people intrested in looking out!

I know ppl dont have ditital tv hell i dont! Its just most people these days do, or at least cable... only one person i know (That actually has a tv) hasnt cable! Teletext isnt a rich persons tool, you dont pay for it! Its almost a standard with TV's... other forms of getting Irish news instantly are the internet and your mobile phone!

People shouldnt stick themselves down to a certain routine where they know when everything is on and all about it! Thats an unhealthy way to live.

Just check the tv guide to see when the news is on for gods sake!!!

I tell you what complain to RTE and get your foot out of your ass.

John

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Lump wrote:
    And the BBC don't do it.

Yeah, i thought so too until Friday there when they paused for 30mins of News 40 mins from the end of Independence Day.

I was royally pissed :mad:

But generally i find that ITV and RTE2 are the worst for it.

• Advertisement

Lump wrote:
    I tell you what complain to RTE and get your foot out of your ass.

John

i have, just seeing if anyone else here agreed with me

Suprised it was done on the BBC, but there ya go. I'd complain, but it doesn't really bother me. People suggest moving things around, if you had any idea how hard scheduling 1, 2, 3, or 4 stations I think it's easier to just get something on air :)

John

Yes but its poor scheduling that gets us in this mess! Its pretty much policy at RTÉ!

They just enjoy messing everything up, IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

I've seen the BBC do it a couple of times with movies on BBC1 that interfear with the 10pm news

I seriously have a problem with it at times. Depending on the movie they can generally cut it right mid-action or in the middle of an important part of it. Quite annoying altogether.

However, from the movies listed by people here giving out about news being thrown in. I would have thought it to be a most welcome addition to what seems like an a terrible movie.

Yea, I cant say I actually watch tv much more either really. For some reason watching lines of text appeals to me more so these days. TV must just be getting that bad.

Anyway, it gives you time to go to the loo and make teh Tea. Especially on the BBC where there's no ad breaks.

John

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭-Al-

RTE show too much news anyway, by the time one bulletin is finished there dying to get to the net one.

Why was news 2 even introduced? what they have them sitting on stools and dont wear ties and think there more layed back so they'll get a younger audience? I rarely watch films on tv, but sometimes when you do, you dont want to see the news in between.

In most cases it would simply mean moving the news 30 mins later, as thats usually all of the film thats left anyway. And its still at a resonable hour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

BB is a show to see how people react, you can see how the human brain works.
    Are you implying that BB contestants have brains? What a novel concept.
    You'll be telling us people who watch it have brains next...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Telefís

Considering News 2 is always chucked about the schedules like a frisbee regardless of what's on, I fail to see why RTÉ even bother breaking for it during films.

Considering it doesn't have a regular time slot except 'around eleven', they might as well show films in their entirety.

To be frank, the real reason they break for News 2 during films is very simply because the studio and newsroom staff want to go home. As much as I'd like to say this isn't true, it is.
    The Newsroom has always shut down before 23.30 since time began, and woe betide anybody who tries to change this.

This is why the late night summaries come from what's generally known as the Broom Cupboard - that crappy little room with crappy production values.
    The Newsroom a this stage is locked up tight and the staff all snug in their beds.

FOR SHAME FOR SHAME

i wish i could say i wont work after 9 anymore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Telefís

9 in the morning or evening? ;)

Can't say for sure that the cut-off point is 23.30 - might be 00.00, but I don't think a regular bulletin has ever gone out past 23.30.

One of many farcical states of affairs in RTÉ News - and don't get us started on the broom cupboard bulletins and single operator control room broadcasts.
    Oh the production values, those poor production values... :eek:

*wrings hands in despair*

• Advertisement

Telef&#237 wrote: »
    9 in the morning or evening? ;)

evening :D i dont have the privaledge of doing a night shift yet

Advertisement