Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lord of the Rings

Options
  • 01-08-2005 8:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭

This is probably up here already somewhere, but I'm putting it up anyway.

I regret to say that I've never read the books, I tried but found them very heavy going, but I do love the movies, Pete Jackson is legend in himself!

I watched all three fully extended versions yesterday, started between 2:30 and 3pm and finished at 1:55am, thats a lot of watching but definately well worth it!

Lord of the Rings 34 votes

Both books and films
    0% 0 votes
    Just the books
    70% 24 votes
    Just the films
    5% 2 votes
    No. Its only for nerds.
    23% 8 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,306 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Both are bril.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I watched all three fully extended versions yesterday, started between 2:30 and 3pm and finished at 1:55am

If only all girls were like you.... :(

Films are great though, one or two dodgey moments but nothing can tarnish the overall brilliance of the trilogy. I'm talking movies....never read the books to be honest, and I'm sick to death of people telling me "Oh you can't even bother giving an opinion on the movies without reading the books", or "Oh right, your not really a fan really then are you" "blah blah" etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Le Rack

shucks I am great aren't I!
    Well yeah never read the books but I still love it and to all those utter whorshippers I do apologise for not reading the books!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Gay hobbit pr0n, tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

Le Rack wrote:
    shucks I am great aren't I!
    Well yeah never read the books but I still love it and to all those utter whorshippers I do apologise for not reading the books!

Apology accepted.

The books, yes legendary. The films, legendery to a much much lesser degree.

• Advertisement

yeah but I found tha books to heavy.... but I'm very strongly led to believe they too are extremely legend

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

They define the very parameters of legendary.

I command you to read it.

But I tried and it was so difficult

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭KnowItAll

The films were great and so were the actors.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

film and books excellent,best author ever.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭Optimus

If only all girls were like you.... :(

one or two dodgey moments but nothing can tarnish .
    "I am no man....HEEEEEEEEEEEHHHHHHHAAAAA!!!!"
    /cringe
    Le Rack wrote:
    Try?
    Frodo tried!
    And did he give up when things got difficult?
    No.
    Did he just give up in the face off overwhelming odds?
    No
    DID HE GIVE UP DESPITE BEING CONTINUALLY THOUGHT OF AS "ONE EH' THEM GAY HOBBITS"?
    NO!

He continued on!
    And then he went a little wacko and nearly fell into a steaming pile of lava.ut lets not fret about that

But none the less he didnt give up!

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Irishstabber

I read all books and watched all films an average of 3 times each. Classics in themselves.
    Would recommend them to anyone. If you havent seen em off course, or read em. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭eyebrows

Le Rack wrote:

I know exactly what you mean. It does take awhile to get going. Dont get me wrong the books are class but bits of them just dont need to be there.

eg. the first three chapters are shíte(I think it's the first three, basically bilbo's party and all that crap. 10 mins in the film... fúcking ages in the book). Then there's Tom Bombadil. omg I hate that guy/thing/yoke. waste of space.

overall both books and films are brilliant. Dont think I've seen a better film than 'The Return of the king'

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

eyebrows wrote:
    Then there's Tom Bombadil. omg I hate that guy/thing/yoke. waste of space.
    that guy just simply rocks! and should be a legend of boards himself. :)

if you dont like the style of wring in this book,try the silmarillion,heh.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭IceHawk

Yeah, Tom Bombadil should have been in the films, even if that meant the first one had to be five hours long. The films are really a credit to Peter Jackson and his devotion to the story though. He really put as many details in there as possible. I'm really looking forward to King Kong now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭butters scotch

i loved the books and the movies. although imo i think that the extended version of the return of the king is better than the original but still great :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭kawaii

Just the books. No movie could truely capture such atmosphere...

Read those books Rach!

Advertisement