Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Based Issue.

Options
  • 01-08-2005 6:09am
    Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Hard to explain this one.

The basic situation is as follows. I live outside of the family home, and my father recently decided to throw something on my lap. Lately, due to his recent illnesses and paranoia at something happening to him, he wishes to secure the family home in the event that he is rendered incapable of paying the corporation rent ie. Hospitalised or if he dies. If this happens, the corporation can do whatever they want with the place, because my fathers name is currently the only one on the rentbook, which means that my younger sister (12yrs old) will most likely be thrown out on her ear.

My father feels that getting my name on the rentbook will ensure that if something happens to him, then I'll be able to keep the house for my sister. I strongly disagree for a number of reasons that, to some, sound selfish.

For one, after visiting the corporation, I was told that regardless of who's name is on the rentbook, it is still primarily down to the Housing officer as to what happens. On top of that, considering I work in a highly paid job, that means they'll charge FULL rent if my name goes down, which basically means I'll be dishing out around a hundred euro a week for next to no extra guarantee of security should something happen to him. Even if it did, I'd have to fork out said amount of money every week until, at least, my sister is old enough to put HER name down (When she is of working age) which is at least four to eight years.

Now, I'm twenty three today, which means that if I put my name down, I'll be around thirty before it's financially wise (Or even possible) for me to live outside of the family home without having to pay TWO rents, rendering it extremely hard for me to travel / settle down / move to a new home if I so desire, which is a restriction I do not want, or should even have, at this age.

After visiting Threshold and Citizens Advice both stated that the only real way of securing the home is by putting my name down. There MUST be another way to do it. They also said that, if I don't put my name down, then the only way I can secure the home for my sister is by contesting the corporation through court. They said tha there is a 95% chance the court will go in my favour through sympathy, but of course my father isn't willing to risk the chance, and I heard of a few stories where the court actually went in favour of the corporation and ultimately caused the eviction of the contesters, which isn't very reassuring.

This problem is wearing me down, and my father continuously brings up the subject, which I find extremely aggravating. It's a big thing to ask, in my eyes, because (as selfish as it sounds) I'll be throwing away a large portion of my life and money simply to reassure him, and at the end of the day, when the corporation themselves state that I gain little to no extra insurance that putting my name down effectively does anything means I'm a little more wary of the matter.

I have no idea what the HECK I can do, and the advice I sought so far hasn't gone in my favour. If you have any suggestions, they'd be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Why not offer to take her into your own place if your father does indeed pass away prematurely. Basically sacrifice the corpo flat if he passes away before your sister can take it over, that is, if she even wants to take it over?

• Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭RopeDrink

For one, I don't think rented accomodation is fitting for a 12 year old (Especially one shared by four other people) - Secondly, what happens if *I'm* the one that ends up hospitalized, or dead, then the same situation would arise!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

i agree with jc. its alot your da is asking really - especially since your only 20 today, just like me!

• Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭RopeDrink

I'm twenty three...

I *DO* have to work to earn my rent and I wager that trying to mind a 12 year old girl whilst working 12hr weekend shifts is a rather difficult, if not impossible task and, like I said, I share a home with four other people.
    It is NOT a home suited for the situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭derek27

its like your bd today then is it? if so happy birthday!

23. hmmm. your da is not being very considerate towards you, but i'm guessing that he is fearful that your lil sis and ma wont be ok if something should happen to him. i can relate to your situation in a very major way. my suggestion is this... if you're in good financial standing, buy the house from the corporation. it'll of course put financial strain on you for a number of years, but think about it as a very sound investment. most successful people buy property in their early 30's, very successful people buy it in their twenties. bit off topic that, but i think if you are in any position to buy the house (mortgage) then you say who lives there and for how long. u will end up renting it to someone for most of the mortgage term, so it wouldn't be such a financial burden. and its simply cash then when your a bit older.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I see no mention of a mum by the OP so I am presuming she is not around..

You are right, taking a 12 year old on now would be daunting.. However, nearly every mention of a timescale in the original post is very much in the mid future, i.e. a few years time..

To be honest, if your father did pass away prematurely, there is not a hope in hell you are gonna leave your 12 year old sister to fend for herself (again, I seen no mention of a mum). Even if it happens when she is 16 or 17, you are going to take her onboard is some form or another.

So you have two choices.. Do what your Dad wants and take the hit on the rent or put the money that would have gone towards rent towards something else down the line like a deposit for a house/flat for you, possible gf and your sister to live in.

Mind you, I have not slept in a while and may be off my head..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 neadla

Hey-

It's really a lot your father is asking for... Does he have a mental illness?-Paranoid schizophrenic or something like that as maybe he's a little ill at the moment-I don't know but you never can tell with mental illnesses. You mentioned earlier on that "what if I end up in hospital?" I know this is a personal question but do you have a mental illness too - nothing at all to be ashamed of of course.
    Maybe the best thing to do is play it by ear - How old is your father? Maybe (fingers crossed) he will not die or go into care...you know?
    I take it your mother has passed on. That's tough too, but I perhaps think that if the worst ocmes to the worst, you should think about moving home for your sister's sake.
    Agree/Agree to Disagree?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

knowing a tiny bit of your life history so far ropie, I would tell your father no - if in the event that something happens to him, you know that you will do whatever it takes to look after your little sister.
    Why put pressure on you now with his 'what if's'
    tell him no and that you'll take care of your sis in the future if it's required. Don't loose any sleep over this.
    Strength comes when it's required, it's not required just yet.
    Let him find someone else to lean on now if he thinks it's necessary.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,945 ✭✭✭BEAT

Like I told you before, Do not put your name down A,
    it is not a good idea. Sure it may bring your da peace of mind but so many other things could go wrong with your name on the books.
    I'd say that "IF" something happened to your da that your sister could come stay with you where ever you are until you got a place of your own. Even sharing a place with 1 other person is not a bad thing for her...its normal for most people.
    I am sure you could find a 3 bedroom , split the rent 2with 1 other and live until you could buy your own place...
    the thing is A,
    you cant worry about the future this way. Take it a day at a time, everything happens for a reason and when the time comes for this change then a solution will present itself.
    ;)
    My personal opinion is, Dont do it. Everything will work itself out.

My mother's in a permanant, brain damaged coma. My dad is slightly depressed, and has recently been told he has a blood sugar level that is DOUBLE what any healthy (or sane) person should have. His blood pressure is massively high, he recently discovered he has mild asthma (spelling) and a disease in his spine, so you can understand that he's a little paranoid. My sister's been slightly scarred by the past, ontop of going through the usual changes that a a young woman her age goes through.

I wouldn't be able to afford minding her outside of the family home, nor putting my name on the book. That's my point.

My MAIN question is wether it's legally possible for the corporation, in the event that my father becomes incapable of running the home, to make a 12year old girl homeless.

• Advertisement

Sorry (and thanks) Beru and Beat, my post there was a little delayed because I was on the phone. Just noticed your posts now.

Big thanks for the advice and suggestions.

It's not that I'm really worrying, it's just that when the subject is brought up every time I'm in the vacinity, it gets very frustrating.

My dad is worried because pretty much the entire family don't give a ****. There are no other people there who can be relied apon to look after her, and certainly none that are willing to do so. I have a very backward family.

He's also depressed after his latest relationship shattered after four years and, on top of that, people forget that he's still not right after his partner of 17years (my mum) got sick. I can relate to him trying his best to secure my sisters future, and he does realise he's asking a lot of me, it's just that there's noone else out there who's willing to help him, and I'm the only other candidate for the task. Being the next of kin means a lot, also.

Thanks again for the advice, everyone, but I'm still at a loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,352 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The blood sugar thing might be indicative of adult diabetes, common in older people.
    RopeDrink wrote:
    My MAIN question is wether it's legally possible for the corporation, in the event that my father becomes incapable of running the home, to make a 12year old girl homeless.
    I don't see that happening, certainly not in the short term in the event of hospitalisation/death. Harsh as the world is, most 12 year olds that are homeless end up there because of dysfunctional families (and I wouldn't apply that to your family, despite your circumstances), not councils throwing them out. If, some time in the future, your father is hospitalized, then perhaps that might be the time for moving in.

I would talk to MABS or the Department of Social and Family Affairs, and find out what support (Child Benefit and/or Adoptive Benefit, One Parent Family Payment, Family Income Supplement, Orphan's Pension) they will offer in the event of you becoming your sister's primary carer before she's 18-22 (if still in full time education).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭4Xcut

Ok, the way i see it is if something were to happen to your father your sister would end up living with you. If you go on the rent book you will have to live at home untill such time as she can go on the rent book. What if you were to invest in a property for yourself that has a spare room. If something did happen to your father she could live with you there. If it was something like redundancy/hospitalisation then you could give him the extra rent money which i gather is cheaper then putting your name on the rent book. Everyone has security and you can still live away from home

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

RopeDrink wrote:

I cannot possibly see that happening, if they do that they will just have to house her somewhere else, so what would be the point?
    In the event your Da passes away then I would think that you just go and tell them you are taking over where he left off, if they don't agree to that then they would just have to go to the trouble of finding somewhere else for her.

Advertisement