Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

success ... ish

Options
  • 13-03-1999 11:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭

right I got linux up and goin
    i got X going
    i got kde going
    i got my internet connection going
    however....................

right X was giving me hasslse so i made my own .ixinitrc and .xserverc files and stuck them in th e root directory
    no when i type statrtx everything is hunkdy dorie. KDE loads up, 'n everything. BUT ... when i use xdm or kdm and log on, i get plain twm loading for some reason.. I can't seem to find why. Also when i add a new user and stick the same .xinitrc and .xserverc files into therir folder, i just get twm as well.. i am confusted and exhausted !

one other prob
    how do i get larger fonts in Netscape. My eyes are killin me !!!!

cheers
    Gav

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭toil

hey...
    check the owner ship on the .xinitrc and
    .xserverc files
    you stuck in the new users dir..

as for the otehr thing i dont know what you
    are on about...
    check the links?

ross

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

ughh netscape in linux..
    in earlier versions you couldn't right click on the window.. e.g to save image as etc. etc. dunno if thats solved in N4 and the fonts and colors are horrible too.. if anyone has a black page with dark writing (cloudboards for example) sometimes its just impossible to read whats happening

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭toil

hmm i am using
    Netscape® Communicator 4.07
    now and it looks quiet nice

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Ronin

there's an option to change your font size in the prefs if you just wanna have things at a nice size smile.gif.

god the things I do when I`m bored smile.gif..

Ro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Omar

the file u need to edit is ~/.xsession
    for larger fonts in netscape go to
    edit (menu)->preferences
    then select fonts in the tree on the left hand side.

and also while we're on the subject, does anyone know where to get wdm?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Fowler

Fonts. yes the regualr X fonts are pretty sucky.. a lot are bitmaps. SO grap a copy of xfstt (search www.freshmaet.net)so you can use True type fonts in X - yup you can use your Windows Fonts smile.gif Any app that uses X fonts can now use the ttf ones - like Netscape or Gimp or KDE.. Unfortunately some apps like StarOffice or WP use there own fonts :/ so cant use these .. Still xfstt is neat - check it out !

Advertisement