Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Something weird in the pond! Help needed

Options
  • 31-07-2005 11:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭

I was in my back garden this morning and the girlfriend was feeding the fish in the pond. We have a Koi and two goldfish, well I thought that was all we had, but as She fed the fish a weird white fish with whiskers like a catfish and possibly no eyes! came up and started eating the food!! Now I was fairly weirded out by this as you can imagine. To clarify when I moved into this house the pond was already here from the previous owner (as were the fish), but the previous owner told me there were only three fish. I don't know what it is or how it got there.

Does anyone know what it is or could be?
    could it be a bottom feeder he neglected to tell me about? If so what type is it and does it pose a risk to the other fish?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

Interesting. There used to be a pond in my back garden. Never had any problems with phantom fish just the occasional thieving bird and appearance of frogs. Maybe you could try to take a photo of it next time it appears? Anyway its probably just a fish the previous owner neglected and if so it must've been coexisting with the other fish without any problems. If they're alright then it obviously doesn't pose much of a threat. I wouldn't worry if I were you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Weird! Mabey it's a fish they had and didn't appear much and they may have presumed it had died or something. Is it possible that someone could of put the fish in your pond at some stage without you knowing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭boardsee

Not funny.
    Keep on topic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

If its an albino, (mostly white / yellow with pink eyes), its probably 90% nocturnal, which is probably why you have never seen it before.

It may have been an albino catfish, that somone put from their tank in at some point.

My own mother had a albino fake dwarf african frog living in her outdoor pond for 10 years left by the previous owners,.... he got to about 6 inches long! And could easilly have been mistaken for a catfish shaped fish at times, he lived on the bottom, buried himself in the mud during winter, never once saw it surface. ....With our climate changes this last decade, a lot of these animals are thriving in ponds and rivers after escaping or being abandoned. They are simply "hibernating" during the colder months.

If it co-existing with your fish, then leave it, it is doing no harm, and is unusual. Try to get some photos for us? :)

b

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

FranknFurter:
    I will try and get some photos if i can. :)

But I have had this pond for three months and spend quite a lot of time looking at the fish and it was only yesterday that I seen this "fish".
    I forsee long hours staring at the pond waiting :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭KO

My own mother had a albino fake dwarf african frog living in her outdoor pond for 10 years...
    b

You can't just make up names like that....albino fake dwarf african frog :D

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭StonedParadoX

hey man funny u mention this we have a pond and the thing u described is totally what we saw cept ours has eyes but kinda different

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Call the creature Gollum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

KO wrote:
    You can't just make up names like that....albino fake dwarf african frog :D

lol
    They are sold as "Dwarf african aquatic frogs" in pet shops, but they aint dwarf nor african so I call em fakes lol ;0)
    b

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

hey man funny u mention this we have a pond and the thing u described is totally what we saw cept ours has eyes but kinda different

So it's the same except it's different? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

I would like to clarify that although I didn't see eyes. it may have had eyes.
    I was so freaked out at seeing this weird white thing eating the other fishes food! :p
    So it could be the same thing as stonedparadoxs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Unholy Behemoth

it could be a new breed between koi and goldfish, you never know what those fish get up to when the lights go out. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭Dellgirl

I don't have any pets but I love visiting this forum because you guys have the craziest threads. Weirdos in my pond, cannibal fish and mad dogs. :D:D:D I don't mean to be frivolous, but ye have never failed yet to provide a thread of madness!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Awww i was expecting something like this!

jumping-crocodile-1.jpg

Advertisement