Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Fox jumped over the Box. (Poem)

Options
  • 31-07-2005 12:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭

There once was a poet who thought* knew it,
    and all he/she could write was indeed sh1t,
    she resided on boards and had fans by the hoards,
    and like the latter, our grammar he/she did shatter,
    and thought t'was no matter, to rhyme all the time.

There once was a poet who knew it,
    and had short short hair so he/she grew it,
    and like the last sentence,
    it all lacked much sense,
    and never let 'one misconstrue it.

They plotted together,
    as to do there's no better,
    than ransack yon forum,
    in order to bore 'em,
    create us a hell,
    that they more want for themselves.

*(poetic licence to leave out word)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭ANarcho-Munk

I love it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Nidge

cheers anarcho ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭the raven

it's petty and crap and you spelt "misconstrue" wrong.

the raven wrote:

I am aware of how to spell it, t'was a typo. I am aware it is crap, but then so are the poems that it was slagging. It purposely has the same weaknesses of the poems it slates, a parody of these poems if you will. It says what i want to say and says it as directly as the crap poems it speaks of. I believe you are the petty one giving it such a concise and cynical "review".

i never called you petty, i called the piece petty.

it's not petty to state an opinion, however an obvious slanderous attack on someone elses creative efforts is. from your other posts you do certainly seem to be a talented writer; with this juvenile attempt you are only harming yourself and wasting your talent.

• Advertisement

That took alot more thought than an all out rave, and it seems that the people it is directed at are not reacting. So even now it's not dumbed down enough for them. As i said it's only as obvious as the themes of their poetry, and again as i said i didn't get a reaction from them so maybe it's not as simple as you think. I'll try a more complex and thoughtful approach next time around maybe, but really what it was, was an attempt to push them to rethink their own work and put more thought into it before posting it. Give it time, let them react without your prompting, see if it really is too blatant. I appreciate your feedback, I revoke my claim that you are being petty, but calling someone's art petty (granted this is not exactly what i would choose to represent myself) is effectively calling them petty.

Nidge wrote:
    but calling someone's art petty is effectively calling them petty.
    on the contrary, calling a product of someone's efforts petty is far from effectively calling them petty. the piece on paper is only a momentary explosion of neurons and far from... whatever.
    to call you petty i'd need to meet you at least...

Haha lets hold boards up as a barrier in the mean time :)

Yes I did get it straight away in case you were doubting.

It is fairly direct, and both of you get it, it's not hard, but neither of you are the subject of the poem. Maybe said mares have not graced boards in a day.

• Advertisement

the raven wrote:

You really do remind me of my english teacher and I wouldn't really be too surprised if you were him. The similarities are quite shocking :rolleyes:

Nidge wrote:
    It is fairly direct, and both of you get it, it's not hard, but neither of you are the subject of the poem. Maybe said mares have not graced boards in a day.

don't worry, i never thought it was directed at me... :D

but i can guess who it is directed at... yep, a whole guess...

You really do remind me of my english teacher and I wouldn't really be too surprised if you were him. The similarities are quite shocking :rolleyes:

Ah yeah but I've been correcting everybody too, it's not a superiority complex, I just like promoting good spelling, I think it's a good thing. But you can't say someone's poem is bad cos they made a single spelling mistake. Only if it makes the poem illegible.

I was referring to the raven. :)

aw crap... where'd you go to school?

strange thing is... aw, i can't tell you here.... :D

If you cant tell me here just send me a PM of whatever it is you want to say.

I go to school in St.Brendans (the sem) if that makes any sense to you.

I was referring to the raven. :)

I know you weren't referring to me, I was just saying that I was correcting everyone too.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement