Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gun Reviews

Options
  • 29-07-2005 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭

If anyone wants to review a firearm, preferably on the basis of some experience in its use (not regurgitating magazine articles), this thread might be a good place to put the resulting post.

If the section proves popular it may be of use to people considering a purchase.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Sounds good civ. I'll stick up some notes on the ISSF stuff I've tried over the weekend when I get some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

May as welll throw in something while I'm at it:

Benelli Nova 12g 28" m/c Pump-action shotgun.

Some people call this the Glock of shotguns, they probably have a point. The barrel, bolt, magazine tube, shell lifter and action rails are metal. Pretty much everything else is polymer. Unlike most pump actions, the receiver and stock are a one piece unit.

novapump.jpg

It dissasembles like most other pump actions, one handy feature is that the magazine cap doubles as a tool for removing the pins attaching the trigger group to the receiver.

The whole thing seems very rugged, but at the same time, the use of polymers means it's a bit lighter than many other pump actions. This, together with the fact it's chambered for 3.5" cartridges could lead to serious recoil, so Benelli sell an optional mercury recoil rducer that screws into the stock, I haven't tried that out, but apparently it's does the job. 3" magnums are as much as I want to try out, thanks all the same.

The shotgun comes as standard with three chokes, they are the same type as used by Beretta (not surprising since the companies are part of the same group), so replacements are easily obtained.

Shooting is about on par with any other pump, the pump movement is fairly short, and the gun swings smoothly. I find I take the Benelli out a lot, in preference to my other shotguns. Part of this is due to the ruggedness, it's very hard to scratch or dent the stock for example, but the general handiness lends itself well to rough shooting.

Sometimes the unconventional looks draw attention from other shooters, but most have been positively impressed after taking a shot or two with it.

Before buying the Benelli, I had the opportunity to try out most other pump actions in the same range, Franchi, Fabarm, Mossberg 500, Remington 870, Winchester 1300 etc. I chose the Benelli based on a combination of how it felt and shot for me, price, ruggedness and admittedly, novelty value. I haven't regretted doing so.

Advertisement