Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Posh Dublin Restaurants

Options
  • 28-07-2005 9:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭

I need a posh restaurant!!

Basically I've been asked to recommend somewhere for about 15-20 Doctor/Professor types can go for a meal out. Budget high (though they won't be making with the extravagant wine list shenanigans).

Now it's years since I've had to organise anything in Dublin, so I had to make recommendations based on my experiences five years ago, which included Brownes Brasserie on the Green, Rolys Bistro, Trocaderos, Le Coq Hardi, Diep Le Shaker etc. - but I don't even know if some of those places are still open or still decent!

Have I missed anything obvious?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭ShreddedHumans

Rolys Bistro is still open my friend works there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Patrick Guilbauds
    l'Ecrivain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭Dellgirl

jacobs Ladder is a good one. WHat about l'ecrivan if they are pushing the boat out. Shannahans on the green- best steaks in dublin apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,620 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

If you're trying for a Friday or Saturday night you will need to book weeks in advance for the more popular ones.
    What sort of food are you looking at?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Roly's Bistro (assuming Ballsbridge one) - second that (& don't bother with the new Dun Laoghaire one).
    Thornton's in the Fitzwilliam, on the Green, for more central.
    Peploe's (also on Green) not quite in same category, but draws me back everytime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭fletch

L'Ecrivian is supposed to be excellent
    I have eaten in Roly's Bistro & can highly recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Le Coq Hardi is closed years (unfortunately).

The Lobster Pot (beside Rolys) is a great spot with fantastic food and a superb wine list. It's quite intimate and "old fashioned". Very comfortable too.
    They do an excellent Streak Tartare.
    http://www.thelobsterpot.ie/

Dont' forget Shannighan's on the Green for steak.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Majd
    the Fado was very nice the last time I was there (probably over a year ago now)
    it's a good size and could cater to 15/20 people no bother.
    They had a piano going on the saturday night I was there, which was very nice.

http://www.dublinks.com/index.cfm/loc/17/pt/0/spid/13665AFE-48BD-4781-B73B2292BA7C1D43.htm

Fado Restaurant is located in one of Dublin's most historical buildings.

This Dublin restaurant can be found in the very famous and historical Dublin Mansion House. Fado was opened to the public during the Millennium and is still hugely popular with Dublin diners. The large dining room was originally completed in 1892 and has been extensively refurbished. The interior has elevated areas at each side and a beautiful trompe d'oeil paint effect. This resplendent room features a Donald Knox mural covering one entire wall displaying an image of how the room looked in the early 1900's.

Lunch and dinner is served at Fado, and this classic Dublin restaurant offers a Table d'Hote and an A la Carte menu throughout the day. The focus is on contemporary Irish cuisine but there are hints of Mediterranean and Asian influences in some of the dishes.

Fado offers an interesting and impressive range of meat dishes including Guinea Fowl, Game, Lamb, Rabbit and Duck. Fish dishes are equally as appetising and salmon is a dominant feature in both starters and main courses. Mediterranean dishes such as Ratatouille and Asian specialities such as a warm salad of Tiger Prawns can be enjoyed in these elegant surroundings.

The service is excellent and all the waiters are dressed in smart attire. The tables are decorated with the finest linen napery, good-sized wine glasses, designer condiment sets and silverware. Fado restaurant provides fine dining in Dublin offering excellent modern Irish cuisine in a historical and pleasant environment.

Fado Restaurant is a Dublin restaurant that will provide excellent food, service and a taste of history.

Fado Restaurant,
    The Mansion House
    Dawson Street
    Dublin 2.
    Tel: + 353 6767200

bruachain wrote:
    La Stampa is the "in" thing at the moment

http://www.lastampa.ie/restaurant.shtml

Not nearly as good as it used to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Chapter One - Parnell Sq

Mange Tout - Baggot st lr

Most of the other suggestions are good too, although I find Roly's to be over rated and a bit fussy (you know, "stop hovering over me" kind of thing)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Chapter One

I've heard nothing but good things about that restaurant, I haven't been yet, it's on my to do list

http://www.irelands-blue-book.ie/chapter-one.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭Dellgirl

Chapter one is the best value. Great food and staff and not poncy. Best dining experience ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

I'll go Peploes. Fantastic food and very reasonably priced for what you get.

I'd reccy the rabbit...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Cool - thanks for this guys - especially for reminding me of l'Ecrivian and Ruthie for Fado - that might be just the ticket!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Sleipnir wrote:
    They do an excellent Streak Tartare.
    http://www.thelobsterpot.ie/

OMFG - there's a place in Dublin that does a decent Tartare?!? :eek: quick, mobile phone on stun, book table...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭Ry

The Cobalt Café on North great Georges Street. Many a senator and big wig have had things happen there. Infact a senator lives 2 doors down as it happens.

It's also an art gallery so the guests can eat fantastically and enjoy the art over dinner. The premises are very cosy and it's the bottom part of an old georgan house so it makes for a nice homely atmosphere too not losing any sophistication though.

It's run by my friends family and the lady you'd want to contact is Dorothy who's very nice and makes excellent food! :)

If it's good enough for most of the ambassadors in ireland it's good enough for a few doctors :)

Ry

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Ry wrote:
    The Cobalt Café on North great Georges Street. Many a senator and big wig have had things happen there. Infact a senator lives 2 doors down as it happens.

It's also an art gallery so the guests can eat fantastically and enjoy the art over dinner. The premises are very cosy and it's the bottom part of an old georgan house so it makes for a nice homely atmosphere too not losing any sophistication though.

It's run by my friends family and the lady you'd want to contact is Dorothy who's very nice and makes excellent food! :)

If it's good enough for most of the ambassadors in ireland it's good enough for a few doctors :)

Ry

Ah sure Norris isn't a real senator.... :p

ambro25 wrote:
    OMFG - there's a place in Dublin that does a decent Tartare?!? :eek: quick, mobile phone on stun, book table...

ohhh yeah!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭kstanl

Try Lock's restaurant on the canal between Harold's X and Rathmines.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Shanahans on Stephens Green Iv heard is nice... Very expensive tho but I suppose thats what ur looking for

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭skye

What about One Pico? Ate there recently - fantastic. They also have a room upstairs to cater for a bigger party,Polo Room, which I think you would have all to yourself....

Also ate in L'ecrevain a couple of weeks ago - whilst it was an excellent meal, we found the menu to be somewhat limited - steak, duck and three fish choices for main course - we enjoyed what we got but still...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Sarsfield

I absolutely love One Pico. Superb food, wine, service, decor. Everything!

I haven't been in Fado in a while. Really liked it, but if it's not full it can feel a bit cavernous.

Has anyone been to Town Bar & Grill - where Bruno's used to be? Looked at the menu as I passed it today. Didn't really grab me and the prices suggest this isn't your average truckers "bar & grill" :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭mycroft

xzanti wrote:
    Shanahans on Stephens Green Iv heard is nice... Very expensive tho but I suppose thats what ur looking for

very much a steak place though. Lord help you if you've got vegie's on your plate. Surprised no one has mentioned this. Unicorn off stephen's green is excellent.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,265 CMod ✭✭✭✭MiCr0

dax keeps getting great reviews
    http://www.dax.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭Enii

Trocadero beside International Bar

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭yossarin

I went into Thorntons once when it was in its old location.
    It was *really* nice, possibly a bit too good for doctors. really expensive though - around 200 eurons for two.

Advertisement