Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are hand guns legal in Ireland!?

Options
  • 28-07-2005 2:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭

Hi all

I'm an avid shooter myself (not as much as I'd like to be) and own 2 mossbergs and a gamo .22 air rifle.
    I've seen a few posts here mentioning importing handguns (!) and have myself owned a lot of weapons over the years (legally)
    Just wondering if anyone can clear up for me if i can actually legally get a .22 pistol or 9mm for recreational shooting

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

Yes. There's loads of threads on this subject throughout this section, try a search for "pistol".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Mr_G^_^

WOW
    thats absolutely insane i always wanted to own one :)

I was just wondering what are the conditions in getting one
    since ive owned 4 guns would this help process an application for one
    what models also would be available and where would i buy ammo
    im in the galway area

cheers

Like I said, this ground has been gone over loads of times here before. I'll deal with the real outlines of it now, but you should look around this section more for further info. I think a sticky on this and some other related issues is no harm and will look into it.

Same general condtions as any other firearms certificate. You need to show your local Superintendent that you have good reason to own one - this is taken to be membership of a pistol club, and that you can have one without risk to the public, as well as the usual conditons for firearms ownership, most superintendents are looking for secure storage and alarm systems.
    Dealers aren't being given import licences for pistols at the moment, so you can't buy them locally. You need to get a licence for one, then import it yourself. This usually means buying it abroad, then getting the foregn dealer to hold it toll you sort the paperwork.

Ammunition can be imported by dealers, they need a copy of your licence to do this.

cheers
    i tried the search but got some error
    ah well will keep looking
    dont like the mention of a superintendant though - its hard enough to get a licence where i live anyway! and not to mind dealing with the fellas in the cop shop :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭mcguiver

Glad to see handguns back..... but I wish us responsible shooters wouldn't refer to our firearms as "weapons". Wrong image, (Just like the combat wearing on ranges etc.) I wouldnt give the anti-gun lobby ammunition...pardon the pun!!

:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

I wish us responsible shooters wouldn't refer to our firearms as "weapons".
    True, though in the case of hunters, it's the more accurate word!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 MP

Sparks wrote:
    True, though in the case of hunters, it's the more accurate word!
    Explain,please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭boy1er1990

I Own A Rifle .22 Anslutz, takes .22 Bullets(obviously)

My Father owned a Handgun And i applied for it, it is a webley, its great.
    i was the first to have an actual license for this in ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

MP wrote:
    Explain,please.
    They kill things with them. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Ammoman

MP wrote:
    Explain,please.

I agree , please explain ,why "Hunters" , whats the difference , we all use firearms , "weapons" describes almost anything that can cause injury , where as Firearms have a specific definition in law .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Ammoman

Talliesin wrote:
    They kill things with them. :rolleyes:

In that case a car or motorbike or knife or beer bottle or hammer or almost everything that you have in your house is a weapon. Because things can be killed with anything .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 box-boy

Ammoman wrote:
    In that case a car or motorbike or knife or beer bottle or hammer or almost everything that you have in your house is a weapon. Because things can be killed with anything .

A car is not made for killing neither is a beer bottle.

A gun is made specificly for causing injury to other beings. (thats why its a weapon)

My Father owned a Handgun And i applied for it, it is a webley, its great.

Very interesting. What sort, and can you get ammo for it? :)

Lads, the defintion of what constitutes a "weapon" is not on topic for the thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭boy1er1990

civdef wrote:
    Very interesting. What sort, and can you get ammo for it? :)

It Is Really a Lovely Gun

Mark IV .38

Its a webly & scott, made in england.

I would post pictures but i'm not sure if it is safe or not.

I am Honoured to actully hold a handgun at the age of 14,
    ( its not me who applied for it, it was my father)

The Ammo should be easy to import if we wanted to, through a dealer or something.
    its currently disabled, but does not change apperance!!, and could easily be undone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

boy1er1990 wrote:
    It Is Really a Lovely Gun

Mark IV .38

Its a webly & scott, made in england.

I would post pictures but i'm not sure if it is safe or not.
    Go ahead and post a picture. Unless you also show details of your security system and your name and address, there's nothing for anyone to see except the gun itself.

boy1er1990 wrote:
    The Ammo should be easy to import if we wanted to, through a dealer or something.
    its currently disabled, but does not change apperance!!, and could easily be undone
    As it's deactivated, your Superintendent will have issued a licence on that basis. If you want to get it reactivated, you'll have to re-apply to the Super for a full licence. BEFORE you get the work done!!!
    A gun dealer won't (or shouldn't!) import or supply ammunition on a licence for a deactivated gun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭Flattop 15

box-boy wrote:
    A car is not made for killing neither is a beer bottle.

A gun is made specificly for causing injury to other beings. (thats why its a weapon)

But more people are killed with cars and beer bottles[and it's content] than with guns in Ireland and worldwide.Go figure! :rolleyes:

Advertisement