Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oh no it's the PC brigade!!!!111!!!!

Options
  • 28-07-2005 2:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭

http://www.guardian.co.uk/g2/story/0,,1490623,00.html
    Political correctness is as exploitable as any other progressive ideal, but its aim is to stifle the incessant noise of those who flap their careless lips without a thought about those they might offend and why that might be important. PC exists to balance out the loudest voices, who assume that the things they are used to are somehow sacred or (God forbid) "traditional", just because no one's had the sense or the balls to change them.

here is an extract from an article I found when reading the thread by meditraitor http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=281499 and the circular argument which always comes up with the labeling of liberal/lefty/PC vs rightwit/racist/insert right winger insult here.

Personally I agree with the above statement as I am often the one on the end being called a "bleeding heart liberal" calling someone else a racist or such like for their views.
    I am offended by some of these views and cant help that my life experience tells me to react in this way.
    Anyone else got an opinion on this?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Yes I take your and the writers point about how being against Political Correctness is often used as an excuse for some exorable opinions. No argument there. It's just another stick to beat the liberal left with, just as accusations of nazism/racism is often used to beat the right. As you say it's the same old, same old insert insult here routine. Both the right and the left often have their heads squarely wedged in their collective fundaments.

I would say for myself that I would tend to favour the left in a lot of arguments, not least because their opinions tend not to have the finality of the more hard line right wing. I would call myself a cautious liberal.

Maybe it's an age thing, but I find the older I get, the less I subscribe to a utopian ideal of what man could be and instead work on the principle that we have to take mankind at it's worst and try to minimise the damage that worst can bring to a society. So, I'm rarely offended by another's views. Flabbergasted certainly, but more resigned to the idea that, like the poor these views will always be with us.

However, I do worry that if we bandy about words like PC and racist about people whose views clash with our own, we may only succeed in alienating and excluding from dialogue the very people a society needs to reach to grow. Right and Left.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭KnowItAll

Originally Posted by The Guardian
    Political correctness is as exploitable as any other progressive ideal, but its aim is to stifle the incessant noise of those who flap their careless lips without a thought about those they might offend and why that might be important. PC exists to balance out the loudest voices, who assume that the things they are used to are somehow sacred or (God forbid) "traditional", just because no one's had the sense or the balls to change them.
    :D
    That was written by the pc brigade.

I love the line "but its aim is to stifle the incessant noise of those who flap their careless lips without a thought about those they might offend and why that might be important" - The PC brigade are the incessant noise. Anybody with a valid view they don't like knows about this incessant noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

The term PC is a tool of the insecure.

*shrugs*

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Neuro

Wibbs wrote:
    Maybe it's an age thing, but I find the older I get, the less I subscribe to a utopian ideal of what man could be and instead work on the principle that we have to take mankind at it's worst and try to minimise the damage that worst can bring to a society.

This would seem to be a somewhat conservative view; the belief that people are immutable and self-interested. Liberal doctrines tend to view people as malleable and altruistic. I believe that liberalism tends towards idealism whereas conservatism tends towards pragmatism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

While the expression of untrammeled views can be geniunly offensive and hurtful, ultimately I'd sooner the views were expressed without fear of being one collar being felt. In the UK there is a daft law as part of the
    Serious Organised Crime and Police Bill which will make it a criminal offense to "cause incitment to religious hatred". Which sounds reasonable until you discover it would make most of us lawbreakers.

The right to cause offence to worth protecting.

Here are the thoughts of George Monbiot also in the Guardian

Mike

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

mike65 wrote:
    While the expression of untrammeled views can be geniunly offensive and hurtful, ultimately I'd sooner the views were expressed without fear of being one collar being felt. In the UK there is a daft law as part of the
    Serious Organised Crime and Police Bill which will make it a criminal offense to "cause incitment to religious hatred". Which sounds reasonable until you discover it would make most of us lawbreakers.

The right to cause offence to worth protecting.

Here are the thoughts of George Monbiot also in the Guardian

Mike

Well I am not into people being arrested for expressing their views, but where an incitement to violence is a part of what they are saying do you react beforehand or leave it until someone detonates a bomb?
    The reality of this specific law (incitement to religious hatred) is that Paisley should be the first one jailed, but he wont be cos he's not a "darky" and in fairness it took the muslim unrest in the UK to have the law introduced, making it inherently racist in my book, as Paisley and his ilk provided more grounds for it over the years than muslims have thusfar done.
    Of course my view on this is PC, if you live in the UK, I prefer to just think of it as correct.

There is a saying that your right to swing your fist ends at the end of my nose, where does your right to free speech end? When you start to use this free speech to promote hatred, lies and violence, effectively there is a large chance of me receiving a shiner if you keep talking too isn't there?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,167 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

KnowItAll wrote:
    :D
    That was written by the pc brigade.

I love the line "but its aim is to stifle the incessant noise of those who flap their careless lips without a thought about those they might offend and why that might be important" - The PC brigade are the incessant noise. Anybody with a valid view they don't like knows about this incessant noise.
    That's entirely subjective KnowItAll, I'm no fan of political correctness and prefer to call a spade a spade myself. However, I'm far more tolerant of someone promoting a utopian ideal than someone promoting bigotry. They may be naieve but at least they're not ignorant.

Sleepy wrote:
    That's entirely subjective KnowItAll, I'm no fan of political correctness and prefer to call a spade a spade myself. However, I'm far more tolerant of someone promoting a utopian ideal than someone promoting bigotry. They may be naieve but at least they're not ignorant.
    Sleepy, I hope your not suggesting I'm a bigot!

This is why I have a big problem with the PC Brigade and their likes. Because I like things Irish and culture people call me a bigot. I'm sorry that I don't agree with multiculturism but that dosn't mean I hate foreigners. My ex girlfriend was from Estonia (and very nice too)!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

KnowItAll wrote:
    Sleepy, I hope your not suggesting I'm a bigot!

God no. Whyever would we think you were a bigot?
    KnowItAll wrote:
    I believe they should have to speak Irish if they want to join the Gardai or p*** off home!
    KnowItAll wrote:
    Homosexuality is natures way of keeping the bad genes away from the good genes.
    KnowItAll wrote:
    The real problem today is women thing it's ok to have a casual 'shag' but don't want to take responsibility when they become pregnant.
    KnowItAll wrote:
    Just because a piece of paper says your Irish dosn't mean you are! If you said you are 100% Irish race, than you couldn't be anything but white.
    KnowItAll wrote:
    They were right to kill him but it should have been a hanging!

But really can you blame the bombers? They are being brainwashed by the out of control cult that is called islam.
    KnowItAll wrote:
    That depends on your point of view. If you think having an Irish passport makes you Irish then there are plenty of islamic Irish. For me being Irish involves a little more than having an Irish passport (i'm not going to go into more detail on this issue, thanks).

Of course there are some Irish people who converted to Islam but I don't think much of them tbh.
    KnowItAll wrote:
    In my opinion islam is nothing more than a repressive cult that brainwashes people.
    KnowItAll wrote:
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hobbes
    Also "shipping them back to where they came from" wouldn't work. Think about it. Your basically removing people from jobs that they may be actively working in.

So you could be crippling existing businesses.

I'm sure McDonalds would suffer terrible profit losses!

Never crossed my mind.

MrP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

KnowItAll wrote:
    dosn't mean I hate foreigners.

LOL ... just the ones that are non-white or Islamic ... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

MrPudding wrote:
    MrP
    I cannot see anything wrong with my posts. For instance when I've said that Islam is brainwashing it's members, do you actually think that the bombers have a clear mind when they blow everything around them up? I know it's not PC but so what? Somebody has to tell the truth.

Good research though ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

KnowItAll wrote:
    Somebody has to tell the truth.

That is the same warped logic that says "Irish people are violent terrorists, there is obviously something about the country that makes you evil" (a view a lot of English people had during the 70s and 80s) just because we have the IRA ... i.e misinformed, illogical, bigoted nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

Get it back on track please, this thread is not about Knowitall or whatever he may or may not be, If you cant keep it on topic start your own thread but dont clutter mine with personal issues with people thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

KnowItAll wrote:
    I cannot see anything wrong with my posts.

It's funny, bigots always say there is nothing wrong with what they say.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 78,299 ✭✭✭✭Victor

KnowItAll wrote:
    This is why I have a big problem with the PC Brigade and their likes.
    See, there you go labelling people again.
    KnowItAll wrote:
    For instance when I've said that Islam is brainwashing it's members, do you actually think that the bombers have a clear mind when they blow everything around them up?
    Was it Islam? Or was it bigotry built up among four guys in a gym.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,265 CMod ✭✭✭✭MiCr0

closing this thread - its just become insulting

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement